WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old school bread

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Every once in a while someone makes a post about bread. Not the kind you spend but the kind you eat so I thought I would share.
7C062D89-D67D-4CDB-A758-387B75BDB271.jpeg
AEF36659-A77D-4AC2-B0C5-9767EBDC3976.jpeg
B041F89C-517A-4D63-8E0F-C76CD322559C.jpeg
20192255-496D-43E6-A977-E8EF9C2C9CC2.jpeg

Tha is home made sourdough, whole wheat bread. I will be having it with split pea soup tonight.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Is that split pee from the can or do ya spit em yourself?!?

rush1

Reaction score
You mean like a recipe? That would be tough unless you have some of this.
That is a
Sourdough starter I got from San Francisco many year’s ago that I have fed and nurtured to make it my own. If you are local to SoCal I can give you some to start culturing.
Wow not many people know that , I retired from Oroweat after 33 years ,I love good bread but it's getting very hard to find.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
You mean like a recipe? That would be tough unless you have some of this.
That is a
Sourdough starter I got from San Francisco many year’s ago that I have fed and nurtured to make it my own. If you are local to SoCal I can give you some to start culturing.

Wife said "get some".

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If you can find it fresh, San Luis Sourdough brand cracked wheat sourdough makes the best toast and add a lil' sugar and cinnamon on the melted butter......Bnag! Oh yeah, that's some good stuff!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Damn... just opened this thread ...I wish I would’ve had some whole wheat sourdough... I just killed a can of Campbell’s chunky split pea soup for lunch... crunched up a bunch of saltines to put in the soup not quite the same as dipping sourdough...

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
You make the bread from scratch?
Sourdough is very popular now with people being locked up from COVID. It’s a good hobby to learn as there’s a million ways to make it and you can add ingredients to it as well. Think jalapeño cheese sourdough etc.
View attachment 1005461
OMG not just awesome but totally decadent and almost healthy
what whole wheat flour are you using for this recipe? The crumb looks really tight, is that due to the whole wheat flour or was it unerproofed?

haven’t tried whole wheat but am always looking for healthier bread recipes.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I always have trouble getting the the texture right...seems to come out rather dense/crumbly instead of chewy. And the yeastyness is not like the good stuff either (using active dry yeast, I guess, instead of a nurtured mother)
A big breakthrough was realizing I was killing yeast with tap water, so I keep some boiled rainwater around...
I tried doing more kneading, doing less kneading, using 00 flour...still not like the good fresh stuff that pros make. I did manage to make some decent pizza dough, maybe because it went in the fridge overnight...IDK

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Sourdough is very popular now with people being locked up from COVID. It’s a good hobby to learn as there’s a million ways to make it and you can add ingredients to it as well. Think jalapeño cheese sourdough etc.

what whole wheat flour are you using for this recipe? The crumb looks really tight, is that due to the whole wheat flour or was it unerproofed?

haven’t tried whole wheat but am always looking for healthier bread recipes.
The whole wheat flour is just plain old Pillsbury. Yes whole wheat will give it a different texture than a softer bread flour and for this particular bread I made it intentionally dense.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I always have trouble getting the the texture right...seems to come out rather dense/crumbly instead of chewy. And the yeastyness is not like the good stuff either (using active dry yeast, I guess, instead of a nurtured mother)
A big breakthrough was realizing I was killing yeast with tap water, so I keep some boiled rainwater around...
I tried doing more kneading, doing less kneading, using 00 flour...still not like the good fresh stuff that pros make. I did manage to make some decent pizza dough, maybe because it went in the fridge overnight...IDK
To get the kind of "chewy" that you are looking for is going take a well aged starter and some extended rise times. After your first rise punch it down and keep it in the fridge overnight then let it slow rise the next day.