WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old Tahiti racing picture

old rigger

Reaction score
I remember this picture from when I was a kid and how I thought it was pretty cool that a Tahiti made it into print. This is from an old Powerboat mag. Its funny how your memory works, for years I thought it was a shot of the little Tahiti Toad 20 racing but it's the larger 22' and I thought I was much younger than I actually was when this issue came out, I was 16 and not 13-4. At any rate recently I lucked out and picked up a few old PB issues and was happy to see this old pic, even though I was wrong with almost every detail about it. This only thing I got right was Jake and Jerry Gilbreath were the owners/drivers. Last Parker Enduro I was able to sit down with Jerry for a little bit and he told me a few cool stories about racing the Toad.

In another issue was this centerfold that I've been in the hunt for longer than I can remember. Pulled it out and framed it for the river house. My wife cracked up when she saw it and it's probably the only centerfold she'd let me hang in the house.

The back story, Schiada and Spectra both had Playboy bunnies and the bunny head painted on the deck of one of their boats and used in ads. Spectra's might have been a prize for the Playmate of the year? Schuster, having the sense of humor he had, went in a totally different direction in the ad for his newly splashed the Spectra 20. We took this boat to the river back in the day several times. The model didn't tag along. She reminds me of Meme from the old Drew Cary show but this was a few decades earlier. I've posted the pics of the boat in our driveway a few times, sorry for the repeat if you've been down this path before.

IMG_6788.jpg

tahiti17.jpg

Scan 2019-2-15 0004-3.jpg

Scan 2019-2-15 0004-1.jpg

Scan 2019-2-15 0004.jpg
Scan 2019-2-15 0004-2.jpg

Last edited: