WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old tools you still use

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Had this since about 10 in 1974. Don’t know how long my dad had it before that. A Kennedy dog house tool box.
78E8F39B-8417-42B2-9B45-C3B7B9DB8B89.jpeg

wishiknew

Reaction score
Remember back in the day early 80’s company got some black and decker 6v drills for us sparkys. My dad said fuck those things I can whip your ass all day long with my yankee. Lol Funny part is he did.
We used to use after shave to lube the yankee when the 1200 rpm cordless drills came out those were the shittt !!!!

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Lets see here..
I will inherit a 150 year old anvil that my several great grandfather pushed out from the Midwest in a hand cart. My lathe is a Monarch A
Only a few will know what that is......
And I was going to brag on my 1944 10-EE Monarch. Nice. :D
many_vises-jpg.823012

Most won't appreciate those but I will.
I lucked out when my plant closed and grabbed 4 wilton bullet vices ranging from the 40's to the 70's.
Keep em lubed and they will last another century.

It would take me weeks to post pics of all the old tools I have that have been passed down for generations.
I wish I had somebody to pass them down to before time runs out.
I guess my Favorite is the rusty old 1860 colt single action my Grandfather found in a riverbed in Eastern AZ about 1910-11 while him and his older brother Morse were playing. They used it as a toy gun and it is a coveted Family heirloom.

rrrr

Reaction score
How many times did that "yankee" pinch ya?????? Sum' bitches could leave a nasty bite!!!

When I was 18, I was hired to hang all the doors in a 60 room addition to a hotel.

The doors were blank 9'0 X 3'0 X 1¾" with red oak veneer. I had a big 1 HP Rockwell router, a Porter Cable hinge jig kit, and a heavy duty clamp on lock boring setup, all of which were required tools to to the work correctly in the least amount of time.

After I mortised and bored the doors, I drilled pilot holes for the hinges with a 3/8" thick steel jig, and attached the hinge halves to the doors and metal frames using a big Yankee screwdriver. It wasn't easy pushing those #14 X 1½" screws into the doors.

I don't recall damaging any doors with slip ups, but I probably did. I had a helper, because I had to move the doors from a stockpile and take them up an elevator. I think it took three weeks to complete the job, hanging about eight doors a day by the end.

I pinched a finger more than once using that screwdriver. You guys using a 20V cordless impact driver to do the same work have no idea how much fun you're missing. :D

Last edited:

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Had to shave the top of a door that was binding. Went to the garage and grabbed this relic. Worked perfectly. Thought to myself, holy shit, this tool is over 100 years old. It was my grandfather’s in his old tool box. He was a finish carpenter in the early 1900’s, built these cool Victorian houses in Utica, MI, many of which are still there today. Based on some research, I’m calling the tool 105 years old.

Anybody got that beat? View attachment 822516 View attachment 822517

Probably not but i have my dads' old Stanley wood plane that I have used from time to time on doors.
It works better than an electric sander and less of a mess.
My dad was a B-25 crew chief during WW2 and the Korean War.
I have some modified hand tools that made maintenance easier on the Mitchel that I still use.
To each their own. :)

rrrr

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, Dave. I didn't know your dad was a WWII vet.

I have some old Bonney and S-K tools that belonged to my mom's father. He was a diesel mechanic, and worked many years for the AT&SF railroad during WWII and later Conley Lott Nichols.

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
When I was 18, I was hired to hang all the doors in a 60 room addition to a hotel.

The doors were blank 9'0 X 3'0 X 1¾" with red oak veneer. I had a big 1 HP Rockwell router, a Porter Cable hinge jig kit, and a heavy duty clamp on lock boring setup, all of which were required tools to to the work correctly in the least amount of time.

After I mortised and bored the doors, I drilled pilot holes for the hinges with a 3/8" thick steel jig, and attached the hinge halves to the doors and metal frames using a big Yankee screwdriver. It wasn't easy pushing those #14 X 1½" screws into the doors.

I don't recall damaging any doors with slip ups, but I probably did. I had a helper, because I had to move the doors from a stockpile and take them up an elevator. I think it took three weeks to complete the job, hanging about eight doors a day by the end.

I pinched a finger more than once using that screwdriver. You guys using a 20V cordless impact driver to do the same work have no idea how much fun you're missing. :D
Damn you, my eyes are leaking thinking about watching him use all those tools you write about!!! Poetry in motion watching a SKILLED door hanger work!!

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I have the same screwdriver. I bought set of Craftsman hand tools in 1986 (I think it was 400 pieces). I just finally took the ratchets in to the last store in the area, to have them rebuilt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Same kit...I think 85 for me. My Gpa bought them for me for my birthday. I lost a few of them racing the BORE Jackpot 250 when the tool bag ruptured. 5th lap I noticed a few on the course and it wasn't until the end of the race that I realized they were my tools that were strewn all over the course. 8 (

500bbc

Reaction score
I'm not too old but, my Craftsman tools say USA. View attachment 823259 View attachment 823260
There’s no denying that the story of Sears, an American icon, is a sad one. But we’re not here to tell a sad story. No, we’re here to share the great news that one of Sears’ staples, the Craftsman tool brand, is alive and well thanks to the folks at Stanley Black & Decker. A company with over 175 years of history in tools and hardware, Stanley Black & Decker has purchased the Craftsman brand from Sears and not only is the brand being reinvigorated with exciting new products, but one of the key goals of the acquisition is to bring as much tool manufacturing (including tool storage) back to the United States, something longtime Craftsman fans remember being the hallmark of the tool line.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There’s no denying that the story of Sears, an American icon, is a sad one. But we’re not here to tell a sad story. No, we’re here to share the great news that one of Sears’ staples, the Craftsman tool brand, is alive and well thanks to the folks at Stanley Black & Decker. A company with over 175 years of history in tools and hardware, Stanley Black & Decker has purchased the Craftsman brand from Sears and not only is the brand being reinvigorated with exciting new products, but one of the key goals of the acquisition is to bring as much tool manufacturing (including tool storage) back to the United States, something longtime Craftsman fans remember being the hallmark of the tool line.
I was really surprised when I found out Stanley own DeWalt...which I found out from my Mac tools guy...which is also owned by Stanley. At least it will continue. Started with Craftsman, and now whatever tool suits the job. From Harbor Freight to SnapOn...new and old.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I have the same screwdriver. I bought set of Craftsman hand tools in 1986 (I think it was 400 pieces). I just finally took the ratchets in to the last store in the area, to have them rebuilt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Same kit...I think 85 for me. My Gpa bought them for me for my birthday. I lost a few of them racing the BORE Jackpot 250 when the tool bag ruptured. 5th lap I noticed a few on the course and it wasn't until the end of the race that I realized they were my tools that were strewn all over the course. 8 (
When I was 20 or 21, I worked at a Sears Auto Center doing shocks, mufflers, and front end parts. We were assigned tools and given slips from the boss to grab new tools from inside hardware. It's amazing what we all accumulated and "walked off" with......:D

thetub

Reaction score
And I was going to brag on my 1944 10-EE Monarch. Nice. :D
many_vises-jpg.823012

Most won't appreciate those but I will.
I lucked out when my plant closed and grabbed 4 wilton bullet vices ranging from the 40's to the 70's.
Keep em lubed and they will last another century.

It would take me weeks to post pics of all the old tools I have that have been passed down for generations.
I wish I had somebody to pass them down to before time runs out.
I guess my Favorite is the rusty old 1860 colt single action my Grandfather found in a riverbed in Eastern AZ about 1910-11 while him and his older brother Morse were playing. They used it as a toy gun and it is a coveted Family heirloom.

beautiful piece of American history right there.

grabbed an old 1940s or 50s Pressweld workbench that had an old Metro vice on it. Works like brand new still...

they dont build em like they use to...

Old Texan

Reaction score
I hope they restore it to what it was as best as possible. I have stopped buying a lot of their stuff due to poor quality.

Hopefully Lowe's will replace the majority of that Kobalt crap with quality Craftsman

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I hope they restore it to what it was as best as possible. I have stopped buying a lot of their stuff due to poor quality.

Hopefully Lowe's will replace the majority of that Kobalt crap with quality Craftsman
What's really sad, Kobalt stuff was really nice the first year or less. It was made by KR Tool, nice. They probably lost their ass, and went overseas.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I inherited my Dads tools and I’m pretty sure there’s some oldies in there. He was a Korean war vet.

46590010.JPG

Barcalo is where the Barcalounger came from.

25CC5B77-3FCB-4389-B8C1-B35B072001BD.jpeg

I’m not sure how old this lineman’s wrench is.
E585562A-993D-4EE8-BC17-A6B9099D86AA.jpeg

No shortage of USA craftsman here.

1AAB80CA-3E23-4716-AC11-6010B7B65504.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
I inherited my Dads tools and I’m pretty sure there’s some oldies in there. He was a Korean war vet.

View attachment 823377

That's an awesome photo. The .50 caliber Browning machine gun has fought in every United States military engagement since World War I, and it's still in use today, blazing those big ass bullets at the radical Islamists in the Middle East as I type this.

I have so much respect for those that fought in the "Forgotten War", especially the guys that fought their way out of the Chosin Reservoir trap. The temperatures dropped to more than -30 degrees. The wounded had to be carried out on litters, and every man had to fight or die.

It's considered as one of the most difficult battles fought in the history of the United States armed forces, but almost unknown outside of those who were there and their families.

The Battle of Chosin Reservoir, also known as the Chosin Reservoir Campaign or the Battle of Jangjin Lake, was an important battle in the Korean War. The name "Chosin" is derived from the Japanese pronunciation "Chōshin", instead of the Korean pronunciation.

Official Chinese sources refer to this battle as the eastern part of the Second Phase Campaign (or Offensive) (Chinese: 第二次战役东线; pinyin: Dì'èrcì Zhànyì Dōngxiàn). The western half of the Second Phase Campaign resulted in a Chinese victory in the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River.

The battle took place about a month after the People's Republic of China entered the conflict and sent the People's Volunteer Army (PVA) 9th Army to infiltrate the northeastern part of North Korea. On 27 November 1950, the Chinese force surprised the US X Corps commanded by Major General Edward Almond at the Chosin Reservoir area. A brutal 17-day battle in freezing weather soon followed. Between 27 November and 13 December, 30,000 United Nations Command troops (later nicknamed "The Chosin Few") under the field command of Major General Oliver P. Smith were encircled and attacked by about 120,000 Chinese troops under the command of Song Shilun, who had been ordered by Mao Zedong to destroy the UN forces.

The UN forces were nevertheless able to break out of the encirclement and to make a fighting withdrawal to the port of Hungnam, inflicting heavy casualties on the Chinese. US Marine units were supported in their withdrawal by the US Army's Task Force Faith to their east, which suffered heavy casualties and the full brunt of the Chinese offensive. The retreat of the US Eighth Army from northwest Korea in the aftermath of the Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River and the evacuation of the X Corps from the port of Hungnam in northeast Korea marked the complete withdrawal of UN troops from North Korea.

Chosin Reservoir is a man-made lake located in the northeast of the Korean peninsula. The battle's main focus was around the 78-mile (126 km) long road that connects Hungnam and Chosin Reservoir,[1]:32 which served as the only retreat route for the UN forces. Through these roads, Yudami-ni and Sinhung-ni, located at the west and east side of the reservoir respectively, are connected at Hagaru-ri (now Changjin-ŭp) (40.3838°N 127.249°E). From there, the road passes through Koto-ri (40.284°N 127.3°E) and eventually leads to the port of Hungnam. The area around the Chosin Reservoir was sparsely populated.

The battle was fought over some of the roughest terrain during some of the harshest winter weather conditions of the Korean War. The road was created by cutting through the hilly terrain of Korea, with steep climbs and drops. Dominant peaks, such as the Funchilin Pass and the Toktong Pass (40.3938°N 127.161°E), overlook the entire length of the road. The road's quality was poor, and in some places it was reduced to a one lane gravel trail. On 14 November 1950, a cold front from Siberia descended over the Chosin Reservoir, and the temperature plunged, according to estimates, to as low as −36 °F (−38 °C). The cold weather was accompanied by frozen ground, creating considerable danger of frostbite casualties, icy roads, and weapon malfunctions. Medical supplies froze; morphine syrettes had to be defrosted in a medic's mouth before they could be injected; frozen blood plasma was useless on the battlefield. Even cutting off clothing to deal with a wound risked gangrene and frostbite. Batteries used for the Jeeps and radios did not function properly in the temperature and quickly ran down. The lubrication in the guns gelled and rendered them useless in battle. Likewise, the springs on the firing pins would not strike hard enough to fire the round, or would jam.

Link to the Wikipedia account of the battle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chosin_Reservoir

Taboma

Reaction score

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I used to hang doors back in the day,,.. that and a yankee screwdriver...….
I can’t tell you how many door finishes I screwed up with that Yankee screwdriver when it slipped off the screw....
Who can tell me why they call it a "Yankee" screwdriver? I've heard a couple theories….

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
And here I thought Klein made the original 'Kliens', never heard linemans pliers referred to as 'Barcalos' o_O
Klein did make the first pair of "Linemans" pliers almost 75 years before Barcalos came along.
Mathias Klein was metal forger from Germany who in Chicago 1857 made the original side cutting pliers commonly referred to as "Linemans or Kleins." Story has it a telegraph Lineman broke a handle on a pair of pliers, brought it to Klein who repaired the broken half, then the guy returned a couple weeks later with other half now broken, which he repaired and became the first pair of Klein side cutting pliers. He went on to become Klein & Sons and eventually Klein Tools.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I'll add a couple more.
A friend tells me this looks like you would use it to oil the Tinman from Wizard of Oz . 60 - 70 years old
20191208_142309.jpg

47 8n, looks bad,runs great
20191208_144346.jpg

Attachments

• 20191208_142309.jpg
    20191208_142309.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191208_144346.jpg
    20191208_144346.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 19

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

View attachment 823377

Barcalo is where the Barcalounger came from.

View attachment 823374

I’m not sure how old this lineman’s wrench is.
View attachment 823375

No shortage of USA craftsman here.

View attachment 823376

not to side track but for some reason I thought people that served in Korea weren’t technically vets because they called it a conflict not a war? It was one of the things my old man and brother used to joke about because my brother was in the navy during Iraq but my dad was in Korea etc..

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
5.7 million served. 2 million survive today. Over 52k deaths of American enlisted.
I guess this is like the Navy/Marines vs the Coast Guard.
All Hero's IMO.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Similar DNA strain runs through here. That old Stanley box scraper was my grandfathers, passed through my dad who was also a Korean War vet, Army, forward observer.

Old Texan

Reaction score
not to side track but for some reason I thought people that served in Korea weren’t technically vets because they called it a conflict not a war? It was one of the things my old man and brother used to joke about because my brother was in the navy during Iraq but my dad was in Korea etc..
Hmmmm, I've heard the term Korean War Vets all my life. If folks were in the service, they were Veterans of which ever branch they served in regardless if in hot areas or not.

Old Texan

Reaction score
What's really sad, Kobalt stuff was really nice the first year or less. It was made by KR Tool, nice. They probably lost their ass, and went overseas.
The issue I've had with Kobalt hand tools, is they rust so easily. Do not leave them outside or get them wet. I've had the jaws rust off adjustable pliers after leaving them sit on a outside table overnight. Nowhere near the quality of Channel Locks

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Most hand tools are timeless (mine are mostly 70's ) and I still work from my first roll away bought from Sears in 75'

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The issue I've had with Kobalt hand tools, is they rust so easily. Do not leave them outside or get them wet. I've had the jaws rust off adjustable pliers after leaving them sit on a outside table overnight. Nowhere near the quality of Channel Locks
Channel Locks and Knipex are the pliers of choice. The only Kobalt stuff I have (I think) are some wrenches and sockets. Haven't split any sockets yet...:rolleyes:

buck35

Reaction score
I had.. a pair of longnose knipex that were awesome. Apparently someone else did too. Never have seen another like them.:mad::(

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I had.. a pair of longnose knipex that were awesome. Apparently someone else did too. Never have seen another like them.:mad::(
A couple years back I was looking at the Knipex booth at SEMA...damn they make some pliers! They had pliers I couldn't figure a use for, but still wanted them:)

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Once I used knipex...everything else was garbage.

I have lots of tools, all different brands, from all different eras. Some perform better than others, but most, that aren’t absolute bottom of the barrel garbage, don’t fail unless the user is fucking stupid, or is abusing them.

I have lots of Chinese tools and they all work well for their intended purpose. I also have lots of Snap-On and other reputable brands.

Why anyone would buy a $150 set of 1/4 drive sockets is beyond me. HF sells very nice ones for $9/set, and it’s not possible to break one with a 5” long ratchet handle...unless you’re a special kind of dumbass.

Every tool has its purpose...and for home gamers that don’t use their tools 8 hours a day every day to shit all over economy priced, but nicely made stuff is just dumb.

Don’t want to spend money on Snap On level chrome?...don’t leave your shit out in the rain...wipe them down and put them away and be just as nice in 20 years as the day you bought them.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

I have lots of tools, all different brands, from all different eras. Some perform better than others, but most, that aren’t absolute bottom of the barrel garbage, don’t fail unless the user is fucking stupid, or is abusing them.

I have lots of Chinese tools and they all work well for their intended purpose. I also have lots of Snap-On and other reputable brands.

Why anyone would buy a $150 set of 1/4 drive sockets is beyond me. HF sells very nice ones for $9/set, and it’s not possible to break one with a 5” long ratchet handle...unless you’re a special kind of dumbass.

Every tool has its purpose...and for home gamers that don’t use their tools 8 hours a day every day to shit all over economy priced, but nicely made stuff is just dumb.

Don’t want to spend money on Snap On level chrome?...don’t leave your shit out in the rain...wipe them down and put them away and be just as nice in 20 years as the day you bought them.
While reading your post, this song came to mind.:D

spectras only

Reaction score
My old friend served during the Korean war as an airplane mechanic on HMCS Magnificent.He pulls pension as a ex serviceman and not calling himself a vet.;) His favourite plane was the Sea Fury.
1024px-HMCS_Magnificent_%28CVL_21%29_underway_c1950.jpeg

Nice plane the Hawker Sea Fury

wishiknew

Reaction score
Remember back in the day early 80’s company got some black and decker 6v drills for us sparkys. My dad said fuck those things I can whip your ass all day long with my yankee. Lol Funny part is he did.
McGee , Walton or Cross State ????

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

I've never heard that, but I've heard the Vietnam war labelled as such. I would call them both wars.

http://www.koreanwarvetsmemorial.org/the-memorial/

wzuber

Reaction score
Dad worked for McGee for quite a few years. Union piece work. Mc Gee was when he was doing residential.
Mc Gee Elec in Pomona?
one of my best friends in high school worked for them for several years in the yard loading those big grey box vans for job sites. circa..1979/81

wzuber

Reaction score
I have several older/ish tool from my grandpa's, dad and craftsman mechanics tool sets Given as gifts and stuff I bought as well. I used this belt sander the other day to shape a d.f. kiln dried stringer I installed in a boat I'm restoring for a client friend.
20191206_094337.jpg
g
20191206_094237.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
20191206_094155.jpg
20191206_094221.jpg
It's a bit heavy by todays standards and in excellent cond., even appears to have the original cord on it although that seems kinda hard to imagine but i guess it's possible considering it was only used in his hobbiest home shop he built onto the back of his garage. It was interesting in that while I was using it it kinna felt like he was with me on that part of the project. When I finished using it I said "thanks grandpa" as I do when I get a piece of hardware (nuts/bolts etc.) from an old all wood 16 drawer hardware box I got from my other grandfathers garage when we cleared his estate.

wzuber

Reaction score
20191107_110540.jpg
stringer beded and glassed down. just so ya know ima not juss a whistelin dixie here..:)
20191106_165338.jpg

Old Texan

Reaction score

True there is bottom end garbage, but many of the better grade Chinese crap is still undependable and outright dangerous due to pure quality materials and improper manufacturing techniques. Case in point on inferior metal is how bolts and screws often break under light pressure and why many industrial situations do not allow unmarked or point of origin fasteners to be used or accepted. Same with many import tools, Not allowed on site for the simple reason of consistency in build quality.

I to have tools of all brand and all ages. Even the economic bottom line old US built tools are superior to "most" current Chinese import junk. And I know how to use tools having the years of experience to know how things are done.

I can see not paying top dollar for light duty tools around the home, but there is a fine line to danger. I've had 3/8" sockets shatter on slightly rusted nuts. I had a HF wood lath tool shatter on a pine knot. And the crap Kobalt adjustable pliers whose jaws rusted off even after being wiped down and oiled after being left out overnight are pure junk that will not last even if care is taken. Things like that happen with wives, kids, and grand children.

And don't even get me going on Ryobi bits and drill sets. Shattering under light duty is plain dangerous.

JMHO :D