WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OMC 800 Series Trim Problem

Toolman

Reaction score
Our family boat is a 18' Wellcraft with a 4.3 Chevy OMC 800 hydraulic trim outdrive. The trim bleeds down from all the way up to all the way down in about 15 mins. It's a pain constantly trimming the boat. The cylinders show no leaks. The whole system is not leaking.

Could the cylinders still be the problem, or is the weight of the motor pushing the fluid back thru the pump and into the res. Thx

SpectraPat

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my OMC. The trim cylinder is leaking internally and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. There is a "quick fix" that you can do until you can make the repair. Trim the boat to get the best performance for your average load, measure the space between the base of the cylinder and the trim housing. Cut a small wood block and zip tie the block to the trim cylinder shaft between the base and the trim housing. This will keep the cylinder from bleeding down and constant trimming of the motor. It worked well for me until I could afford to buy new trim
cylinders.

One other thing, make sure when trailing or storing the boat the cylinders are all the way down so there is no weight load on the cylinders.

Happy boating🍻🍻

Toolman

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my OMC. The trim cylinder is leaking internally and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. There is a "quick fix" that you can do until you can make the repair. Trim the boat to get the best performance for your average load, measure the space between the base of the cylinder and the trim housing. Cut a small wood block and zip tie the block to the trim cylinder shaft between the base and the trim housing. This will keep the cylinder from bleeding down and constant trimming of the motor. It worked well for me until I could afford to buy new trim
cylinders.

One other thing, make sure when trailing or storing the boat the cylinders are all the way down so there is no weight load on the cylinders.

Happy boating

Sounds good to me! Thanks SpectraPat!