WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OMC Outboard Picture Request

Backlash

Reaction score
Good morning Guys!

I am in the process of rebuilding a 19' Howard ("Schiaward" in the Schiada Project section), and am looking for pictures of an old OMC outboard cowling.

What I have is an OLD 1982 OMC "Sea Drive" 235hp outboard (2.6 liter V-6).

The engine and cowling are white but the original or previous owner applied red and blue decals to the cowling to match the colors of the boat.

He also removed everything related to emblems except for the HP rating on the front of the cowling.

Since this engine is 32 years old, it needs a little bit of help in the appearance department.

I would like to update the look somewhat and replace the logos in the correct places. This is where I am hoping you guys can help.

(This is NOT the ugly "Sea Drive" that incorporated the bracket that found its way onto so many Boston Whalers back in the mid 80's. This particular motor was produced right before OMC started selling the outboards with those huge, ugly brackets. This one looks very similar to every other Johnson and Evinrude of the same era.)

While I have always been a fan of the black engines, this one is what came on this particular boat so I am going to run it for now.

Does anyone have any pictures that would help???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Henry

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
What made a Sea-Drive a Sea-Drive was the integral bracket.

OMC, which was made up of Johnson, Evinrude, and OMC Stern Drive; essentially competed against themselves in by introducing it into the market. The Sea-Drive fell under the Stern Drive division as an alternative to inboards in larger boats. Since at the time most builders who offered outboards in their larger models cut down/out the transom to accommodate the 20"-25" shafts.

The SDs were actually Johnson & Evinrude outboards with the integral bracket and rebranded, which means the parts between all 3 are interchangeable.

IMHO what you have is probably a Sea-Drive Motor that is on a E or J ob bracket.

Post Pics

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of what you have?

I don't think the "Sea-Drive" concept came out until the mid 80's. If so, you most likely have a Gil Marine "Gil-bracket" that the motor is bolted to. About 3" diameter steel tubular bracket with two somewhat U-shaped humps and a mounting plate out back.

1982 decal set would look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Johnso..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item2573a558cf

Gil brackets on my boat:

DSCN5465.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you guys for jumping on this so quickly! I really do appreciate the feedback.

DSB, I actually have an OMC outboard according to "Bombardier" as they are the company who essentially inherited all of the Evinrude/Johnson/OMC products. By providing them with the block plug stamp and serial numbers and by sending numerous pictures to their tech. gurus, they confirmed what I do have is a "OMC Sea Drive" outboard. The serial number confirms the year and displacement and horsepower of the engine. They were even kind enough to forward me a copy of the original parts schematic and serial number breakdowns. What this appears to be is an early model "Sea Drive" as that is how it is advertised in their flyers and how it is advertised on the cover of their parts schematic.

VK, the later model "Sea Drive" engines had that large bracket built in and I believe this started in 1984 or 1985. Since my gem is a 1982, it is without that part commonly referred to as an anchor. :) This particular outboard is mounted to a hefty aftermarket aluminum bracket in typical fashion (I am guessing it could be a "Rex Marine" product but I am not sure).

Anyways, thank you both again for responding so quickly and for sharing your knowledge.

Here are some pictures to show you what I am working with. If either of you know of or have any pictures of this engine with the original placement of the name plates on the cowling, I would greatly appreciate the help!!

Cell Phone Pictures 1080.jpg

Cell Phone Pictures 1099.jpg

If you need any other pictures please let me know.

Thanks!

Henry

Backlash

Reaction score
Keith,

I just clicked on your link for the decal set. I found the same one some time ago when I initially thought this was a Johnson. But since the serial number sequence didn't jive with the Johnson manuals, I knew it had to be something else.

Thanks again for the link. :)

Henry