WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Onan RV Generator.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Have a 5th wheel we now leave in Florida. It had an Onan 5500 LP generator in it. I pulled it out and brought it up to Tennessee to use it as a back up generator for the house. Started it up before I pulled it out and it ran good.

Now in Tennessee I looked up the LP requirements and It says I need a 9-13 WC regulator for the LP. I get that and a new battery. Hook everything up and I can't get the damn thing to start. I want to get it running before I call the electrician out to set up the transfer switch and circuit breakers on the house.

Called the local electric company that services Onan, but they will not work on it if it isn't in an RV. They say due to liability issues.

The one thing I am not sure about (and can't find on the web). There was a remote start inside the rv to start the gen and an hour meter. I had to unplug that when I pulled the generator out. I am wonder if it needed that plugged in to work.

Does anyone have any idea why it won't start?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You might need a loop plug to bypass the remote start panel where it plugs in at the plug on the genset.

I dont know a whole lot about rv gensets but almost all Westerbeke marine gensets are like that.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Call your local Cummins dealer . They will work on it out of the rv or maybe guide you to what you need

wallnutz

Reaction score
Have a 5th wheel we now leave in Florida. It had an Onan 5500 LP generator in it. I pulled it out and brought it up to Tennessee to use it as a back up generator for the house. Started it up before I pulled it out and it ran good.

Now in Tennessee I looked up the LP requirements and It says I need a 9-13 WC regulator for the LP. I get that and a new battery. Hook everything up and I can't get the damn thing to start. I want to get it running before I call the electrician out to set up the transfer switch and circuit breakers on the house.

Called the local electric company that services Onan, but they will not work on it if it isn't in an RV. They say due to liability issues.

The one thing I am not sure about (and can't find on the web). There was a remote start inside the rv to start the gen and an hour meter. I had to unplug that when I pulled the generator out. I am wonder if it needed that plugged in to work.

Does anyone have any idea why it won't start?
Yes, it doesn't say Honda!
Onan's have weird ecm's. You probably do need that plug or there is probably a code that won't let it start. Do you still have the lighted switch to start it? If you do, does it have a series of blinks after you try? If so that is a diagnostic code and you have to count them and then look up what it means. Other than that, I have heard the LP ones can be a little finicky. Hope you can get it figured out.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... The Onan gen in my 5th wheel had not been started in two years and now it won’t start ...I am told there is some sort of internal rings that can develop a coating if they are not started on a regular basis ...
...There is a forum that may be called Smokestack???...If you strike out here hit the Internet for Onan gen info...
(Just looked doesn’t look like its Smokestack)...

Last edited:

LC925

Reaction score
... The Onan gen in my 5th wheel had not been started in two years and now it won’t start ...I am told there is some sort of internal rings that can develop a coating if they are not started on a regular basis ...
...There is a forum that may be called Smokestack???...If you strike out here hit the Internet for Onan gen info...

Is yours LP or Gas? If it’s gas, change your carburetor and I’m sure it will fire right up. I have literally had to replace mine 3 times in 6 years. Even starting it every month just to avoid it humming up. They are sealed units now so you can not take them apart to clean them up.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Is yours LP or Gas? If it’s gas, change your carburetor and I’m sure it will fire right up. I have literally had to replace mine 3 times in 6 years. Even starting it every month just to avoid it humming up. They are sealed units now so you can not take them apart to clean them up.
...Mine is LP...not sure how old it is???..,As I was doing the research on it I think it is of sufficient age to where the rings can be cleaned...not sure...it’s a 6.3???...

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

I think it is smokestack. I am waiting to be approved by the admin.

Mine was running before I pulled it. That was mid March.