WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

One Hell of an Auto Reply

WildWilly

Reaction score
better than the clown show that most shops in Havasu are. And not just boats but street and offroad work too. I've given up and will drag my projects that need work I can't do to Vegas or Phoenix. Like many said before, I'd rather this than "sure bring it in next week" and then months later you are still trying to get it out

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Everybody is frustrated. Good for that guy being honest. Also weeding out the tire kickers. A good shop needs about ten solid customers that keep the lights on. The rest are transient customers. And as stated will still dis you regardless.
The last side job I did I told the guy it’s going to take me a long time. I have a 50 hr week job already.
oh you have to do it. I only want you doin it. I said you get it when you get it. Gave a great price. ( fucked myself) When I needed more money, oh I don’t have it now. Boat sat idle for 5 months. I don’t loan people money to finish their toys. I wound up finishing it on my own dime (did get paid).
Then he starts motherfuckering me to our friends how I had it a year ( I didn’t).
NEVER AGAIN. Props to that shop.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Reached out to a shop about getting some suspension work done to my truck and below is the auto reply to their email. Are people that much of assholes these days where something like this is necessary? Now I have my guard up.

"We want to acknowledge that we have received your contact us form, and a ticket has been created.

Please understand that due to the huge increase of emails, calls, and walk-in customers, it may take us up to 72 hours to get back to you. Calling back a few minutes after you have just called does not help speed up the resolution to your ticket.

We are trying to offer the same service, dedication, and attention to detail that our customer base has come to expect from us over the past 22 plus years.

We have a family of 45 +/- team members here that are giving it their all day in and day out. So please have some patience while we work through this influx of inquires. Please show the same respect, common courtesy, and politeness that we show you. If you don't, you will need to find a different business to do business with.

If you are looking to schedule work, please understand that we are currently working with these time frames;

Dedicated shop time-
Standard 500 mile post work retorque - 3 days notice
Dedicated shop time for a build - 8 weeks out +/-
On the vehicle shock rebuilds - 8 weeks out +/-
Off the vehicle shock rebuilds - 4-6 weeks out +/-
Fabrication work - 18 months out +/-

If you feel like the above time frames don't apply to you because you feel you are more important than the customer we already have booked, or because you are spending thousands of dollars with us... That changes nothing. We still offer the same service, dedication, and attention to detail that our customer base has come to expect from us over the past 22 plus years, no matter the budget."

Sounds like alot of good information, with poor delivery. They need to cut out all the "whining" and drop the non-factual stuff. There's a way to say what they're trying to say with 50% less words and attitude.

I'd edit it like this:

"Thank you for your interest, we have received your contact form and a ticket has been created
Please allow 72 hours to receive a response to discuss and schedule your work.

We strive to offer the same service, dedication, and attention to detail that our customer base has come to expect from us over the past 22 plus years.
Please be patient so we can provide you with the personal attention and service each customer deserves.

Our current leadtimes are:

Dedicated shop time for a build - 8 weeks out
On the vehicle shock rebuilds - 8 weeks out
Off the vehicle shock rebuilds - 4-6 weeks out
Fabrication work - 18 months out

Thank you

XXX SHOP"

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
I am sure PPP funding and the receipt of said funding has no bearing either on the attitude of said shop. :rolleyes:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
To add…in my 18 years at centric Parts, at least once a day I’d be tied up on the phone with some fucktard for at least 30 minutes to support a sale of a $10 part to a one time consumer. Approaching the 30 minute mark I’d simply inform them that I need to go and they can return the part and purchase elsewhere if they feel the need. Nobody wins there.

a place of business doesn’t have time to chat and coddle people. We have shit to do. They are better off without anyone who takes offense to that auto reply.

C-2

Reaction score
Sounds like alot of good information, with poor delivery. They need to cut out all the "whining" and drop the non-factual stuff. There's a way to say what they're trying to say with 50% less words and attitude.

I'd edit it like this:

"Thank you for your interest, we have received your contact form and a ticket has been created
Please allow 72 hours to receive a response to discuss and schedule your work.

We strive to offer the same service, dedication, and attention to detail that our customer base has come to expect from us over the past 22 plus years.
Please be patient so we can provide you with the personal attention and service each customer deserves.

Our current leadtimes are:

Dedicated shop time for a build - 8 weeks out
On the vehicle shock rebuilds - 8 weeks out
Off the vehicle shock rebuilds - 4-6 weeks out
Fabrication work - 18 months out

Thank you

XXX SHOP"

Puuurfect. That's what I was thinking too. 👍

But I still wouldn't go there...what happens if they screw your stuff up? Oh, that's right, they already gave a whiney disclaimer and I'm sure they would fall back on the same "too busy" excuse. As others have said - then hire more staff.

I stopped going to my trusted mechanic because he is too slammed and the work he is putting out is no longer solid. Shitty deal, but he doesn't recognize the need to adapt during Covid.

gqchris

Reaction score
To add…in my 18 years at centric Parts, at least once a day I’d be tied up on the phone with some fucktard for at least 30 minutes to support a sale of a $10 part to a one time consumer. Approaching the 30 minute mark I’d simply inform them that I need to go and they can return the part and purchase elsewhere if they feel the need. Nobody wins there.

a place of business doesn’t have time to chat and coddle people. We have shit to do. They are better off without anyone who takes offense to that auto reply.
Do you feel differently as an Owner now?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
"Old time" Personal customer service is truly dead and it sound like another "furthering" effort to move away from personal contact ,More and more I find businesses that do not even publish a phone number and then if the do theres no "real time" return call . We do a large volume of business now world wide and still answer and or return every call , text and email we can 7 days a week

Last edited:

c_land

Reaction score
Reached out to a shop about getting some suspension work done to my truck and below is the auto reply to their email. Are people that much of assholes these days where something like this is necessary? Now I have my guard up.

"We want to acknowledge that we have received your contact us form, and a ticket has been created.

Please understand that due to the huge increase of emails, calls, and walk-in customers, it may take us up to 72 hours to get back to you. Calling back a few minutes after you have just called does not help speed up the resolution to your ticket.

We are trying to offer the same service, dedication, and attention to detail that our customer base has come to expect from us over the past 22 plus years.

We have a family of 45 +/- team members here that are giving it their all day in and day out. So please have some patience while we work through this influx of inquires. Please show the same respect, common courtesy, and politeness that we show you. If you don't, you will need to find a different business to do business with.

If you are looking to schedule work, please understand that we are currently working with these time frames;

Dedicated shop time-
Dedicated shop time for a build - 8 weeks out +/-
On the vehicle shock rebuilds - 8 weeks out +/-
Off the vehicle shock rebuilds - 4-6 weeks out +/-
Fabrication work - 18 months out +/-

If you feel like the above time frames don't apply to you because you feel you are more important than the customer we already have booked, or because you are spending thousands of dollars with us... That changes nothing. We still offer the same service, dedication, and attention to detail that our customer base has come to expect from us over the past 22 plus years, no matter the budget."

I'd give 454 Motorsports a call for a better experience if you're looking for suspension work.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I agree. But at this point you have to assume that MOST customers are assholes, and plan accordingly. Again, nothing to take personal. Do the research, order the parts, and do the install yourself. Or if you can’t, reach out to the inmates. I’m not a pro tech (anymore) but if someone needs a place to wrench and the tools to do it, I’m here. As am many others I’m sure.
Everybody is frustrated. Good for that guy being honest. Also weeding out the tire kickers. A good shop needs about ten solid customers that keep the lights on. The rest are transient customers. And as stated will still dis you regardless.
The last side job I did I told the guy it’s going to take me a long time. I have a 50 hr week job already.
oh you have to do it. I only want you doin it. I said you get it when you get it. Gave a great price. ( fucked myself) When I needed more money, oh I don’t have it now. Boat sat idle for 5 months. I don’t loan people money to finish their toys. I wound up finishing it on my own dime (did get paid).
Then he starts motherfuckering me to our friends how I had it a year ( I didn’t).
NEVER AGAIN. Props to that shop.

Great offer BT, like a Co op even.
Sounds pretty cool thing to do. At 64 I would not be able without help. Talent pool pretty deep on RDP.

CC, my FIL had the same problem up at Lake Shasta. The Vacationers that he'd meet and would save their Vacation were always up front with payment upon completion. Many times invited out upon delivery.

It was the locals that were the chiselers. Chasing money was ridiculous. I'd be on his ass constantly. Fun Times. Fish every day. Bass all around the docks.
No $ No boat. Isn't harsh. Business not Personal. Kinda hard to do on a moored boat though. Doph!!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Do you feel differently as an Owner now?
Nope, I told 2 people to pound sand on Monday…one was about a $1500 order…I could tell it would turn into a problem and I don’t have time for that. Had everything sold and paid for by another customer by the end of the day

There is another side of the coin as well. I have a customer back in South Carolina that bought one set of calipers from me for a Porsche 914…we spent some time on the phone and he’s a great guy…pays immediately, very knowledgable, etc…I have a pallet getting ready to ship out with a few more sets of calipers and a bunch of other parts that he couldn’t find locally that I was able to scour up through my contacts…full set of period correct wheels, engine crossmember, rear window, etc…this is the difference between a customer and a consumer. I’ve made a nice profit on everything on the pallet, and earned it for providing that level of service.

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I agree. But at this point you have to assume that MOST customers are assholes, and plan accordingly. Again, nothing to take personal. Do the research, order the parts, and do the install yourself. Or if you can’t, reach out to the inmates. I’m not a pro tech (anymore) but if someone needs a place to wrench and the tools to do it, I’m here. As am many others I’m sure.

Definitely with a little help I can handle bolt on stuff pretty easily, unfortunately I am trying to have a drop bracket lift removed which would require a new crossmember being fabbed up. A little above my pay grade.

I'd give 454 Motorsports a call for a better experience if you're looking for suspension work.

454 was my second email, he got back to me within 4 hours with an actual response.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I am sure PPP funding and the receipt of said funding has no bearing either on the attitude of said shop. :rolleyes:
If you’re a working shop the Wuhan didn’t affect you. Essential business. People need their trucks. Biggest problem was fighting off the COVID cops

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Anyone that has never dealt with retail public has no idea what a “ customer “ can put you through . There is virtually no customer loyalty anymore . At the touch of an app these days , a person can summon 20 shops to get a bid . Everybody is complaining about the business eliminating the human element, but the customer began it long time ago . I just got out of the service industry for close to 50 years in . I’ve seen a few changes and trends .

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
better than the clown show that most shops in Havasu are. And not just boats but street and offroad work too. I've given up and will drag my projects that need work I can't do to Vegas or Phoenix. Like many said before, I'd rather this than "sure bring it in next week" and then months later you are still trying to get it out

Shops in PHX are no better - At least there are several high end shops in Havasu so there is competition if a customer is disappointed in a shop. I'm now taking my boat from PHX to Havasu for maintenance because I cannot get a return phone call from a local shop that I was using for 10 years.

I called a Havasu shop a few weeks ago, and they told me they were booked out until the end of this month so I made an appointment. One week in advance of the appointment, the Havasu shop called me to confirm my appt and go over a few things in advance. So far that's better customer service than I've received from a boat shop in years.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I walked into one of my customers' office this morning to collect a deposit for some work and this was on the front desk when I walked in. I immediately thought of this thread 😁
20210826_124854.jpg

Last edited:

DaveH

Reaction score
i dunno. sounds to me like someone has a business that is doing well and has let their head get a little to big for their hat and their ego get the best of them.

businesses like this come and go all the time. one day they are on top of the world and the next they wonder what happened, or worse they are selling parts off their customers' cars and hiding.

i would be embarrassed to tell anyone "we are so good that even getting a call back from us is going to take 3 days" ...........i mean if you are so in demand and killing it.....hire some more Fing people so you have time to interact with the inquisitions your product/service brings.

anyone that arrogant and thinks they are that good are too dumb to realize people can and will take their business elsewhere. its a dime a dozen truck lift shop right? he didn't solve global warming.

manxman

Reaction score
a wise man once told me " You never get a second chance to make a first impression!"
This business will be dead shortly. My family business is going on 41 years old and I am the 3rd generation. There is a reason that we have weathered several economic storms. Short answer "Customer Service"

WildWilly

Reaction score
Shops in PHX are no better - At least there are several high end shops in Havasu so there is competition if a customer is disappointed in a shop. I'm now taking my boat from PHX to Havasu for maintenance because I cannot get a return phone call from a local shop that I was using for 10 years.

I called a Havasu shop a few weeks ago, and they told me they were booked out until the end of this month so I made an appointment. One week in advance of the appointment, the Havasu shop called me to confirm my appt and go over a few things in advance. So far that's better customer service than I've received from a boat shop in years.

I'll refrain from bashing the bad, but if you've had good I'd like to know where

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I'll refrain from bashing the bad, but if you've had good I'd like to know where

So far I am having a great experience with Barrett Custom Marine in Havasu. I had an issue with my boat a couple of years ago at Rainbow Bridge in Lake Powell, which was likely going to result in a 4+ hour idle back to the docks at Antelope. AJ saw me at the docks at Rainbow Bridge trying to figure out a solution and before I knew it he had me up and going with a fix to get me back to the docks, and he wouldn't take any $$ for it. I didn't know AJ and he could have just went on enjoying his day on the water, but he stepped up and helped me out.

My service appt with BCM is Monday morning, and so far the communication from them has been excellent. When I called them a few weeks ago, they let me know their appt schedule and got me on the calendar. This last Monday, they called me to confirm the appt and review what they were going to work on. This attention to detail is impressive to me and I look forward to working with them going forward even if it's a 3.5 hour tow each way for me.