WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ONLINE BANKING..Which one. Capital One/Ally/Discover

Bear Down

Reaction score
Currently Have US Bank for Checking and Savings and really like them, except for the $14.95 monthly Fee I get for using them. Unless I get a credit card through them, which has a $99 yearly fee and no rewards, I am stuck with the fee.

Unless someone suggest a Credit Union I can Join off the street that is highly recommended, I am thinking of using an Online Bank. I've only done 2 wire transfers in 7 years, took out a large sum of money once ($2400, thanks MYV). I live in Upland.

With Zero Monthly fees plus I can accrue better interest with an Online bank, its like getting an extra $700 per year to do nothing. I also think one of them actually has cash back option (discover or capital) My only hesitation is Cash access and Wire transfer capabilities. Anyone running their home finances through one of these companies? I have everything on AUTO DRAFT, it looks like the ATM options are pretty extensive with CVS/7-11/Target which is a better no-fee network than US BANK since they don't have many branches in SO Cal in comparison.

Any insight would be appreciated.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Regional IT officer for BofA told us write your own checks, bank at your local bank in person and only use your ATM card at a major bank ATM.
That’s how we still roll.

We have enough on deposit that all our banking fees are waved even if we use a different bank.

No online banking for us. Long live the BetaMax, bell bottoms, diesel submarines, accordion lessons and the walk up teller.

But thats just me.
Used to cash paychecks at the liquor store.

We use one dedicated Amex card for online purchases.
We asked Amex for a snail mail paper bill that’s detailed with no scrambled egg advertising plastered all over it so it’s legible and straight forward compared to the junk mail style bills of the past.
They did it.

Last edited:

Dmangus

Reaction score
Currently Have US Bank for Checking and Savings and really like them, except for the $14.95 monthly Fee I get for using them. Unless I get a credit card through them, which has a $99 yearly fee and no rewards, I am stuck with the fee.

Unless someone suggest a Credit Union I can Join off the street that is highly recommended, I am thinking of using an Online Bank. I've only done 2 wire transfers in 7 years, took out a large sum of money once ($2400, thanks MYV). I live in Upland.

With Zero Monthly fees plus I can accrue better interest with an Online bank, its like getting an extra $700 per year to do nothing. I also think one of them actually has cash back option (discover or capital) My only hesitation is Cash access and Wire transfer capabilities. Anyone running their home finances through one of these companies? I have everything on AUTO DRAFT, it looks like the ATM options are pretty extensive with CVS/7-11/Target which is a better no-fee network than US BANK since they don't have many branches in SO Cal in comparison.

Since you live in upland (SB county) check out Arrowhead Credit Union. No fees. I also believe Alaska Credit Union no fees.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Regional IT officer for BofA told us write your own checks, bank at your local bank in person and only use your ATM card at a major bank ATM.
That’s how we still roll.
We have enough on deposit that all our banking fees are waved.

No online banking for us. Long live the BetaMax, bell bottoms, diesel submarines, accordion lessons and the walk up teller.

But thats just me.
Used to cash paychecks at the liquor store.

That's my thinking as well, its not like our bank account is running on fumes.. It has a great balance but still get fees. My first bank was 1st interstate and really loved that bank. Loved making my payroll deposits on Fridays and talking to the tellers. One reason I like US Bank, the smallest of the big banks. But we are a single income family and $$ is $$ so I am more mindful of wasteful spending, especially when I don't use the Brick and Mortar all that often. My preference isn't to bail, they are just not giving me a reason.

TDiamond

Reaction score
I had all my stuff with BofA for over 30 years...fees started showing up. Went in to the branch and closed everything...nobody even asked why. Good sign I was making the right move.
Switched everything to Capital One online...couldn't be happier! And they're paying me!

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I had an account at Capitol One, until I found out their saving rates are just limited time teaser rates. I've since switched to Ally Back, that is paying a consistent 1.75% on normal savings accounts, and also .70% on another money market account. Of course, I have my direct deposit no fee checking checking account at Chase, for my day to day checks. Another note, I charge everything on my Costco Citibank Visa card, and pay off with my normal checking account. This earns me about $600+ a year in cash back.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
BofA can suck my dick.
Schools first if you can
Altura or Arrowhead CU if not

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Have BofA....Hate going in side for any banking but its only a few times a year. Haven't t wrote a check in years and bill pay pays them all. Online banking has been simple including wire transfers....No fees either.

The main reason I stick around is BofA is everywhere and no problem finding an ATM

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score

Your first sentence is exactly why I bailed on US bank.....I went to Compass and I like them....great app and they usually have 3 tellers if you need to go in.....US bank had 6 teller slots and only one was open usually..they blow. Compass has no fee checking.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Do you have direct deposit of payroll? Most banks offer free checking with direct deposit (one or two a month or at least a minimum $$ amount).

I’ve used a credit union out of San Jose since 2001. Haven’t lived near there since 2005. It’s free due to direct deposits. Generally, credit unions have less fees, although mine has sadly begun to look like a big bank’s fee schedule. I also bank with Wells Fargo and it’s free as well due to our Mortgage being with them. Plus, it’s national wide, giving easy banking access (ATM and branch) when traveling. I left Wells for the CU, but now dancing with the devil thanks to the mortgage. Lol. They’ve been fine this second time around.

My Mom parks cash with Ally and is happy with them.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
The only benefit to B of A is picking up foreign currency, such as Euro's. They all claim "no transaction fees", but for a 1,000 Euros at Chase was going to cost me nearly $1300 bucks. B of A only charged be $1215. Chase later confessed that all the banks get their foreign currency from B of A, and will always be cheaper.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Do you have direct deposit of payroll? Most banks offer free checking with direct deposit (one or two a month or at least a minimum $$ amount).

My Mom parks cash with Ally and is happy with them.

Yes, direct deposit through them and still get the $14.95 Fee... Its silly in my opinion (at least that much per month) even BofA is cheaper at $12.95

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The only benefit to B of A is picking up foreign currency, such as Euro's. They all claim "no transaction fees", but for a 1,000 Euros at Chase was going to cost me nearly $1300 bucks. B of A only charged be $1215. Chase later confessed that all the banks get their foreign currency from B of A, and will always be cheaper.

X2...use this all the time for my European and Mexico trips.

Sandlord

Reaction score
ALLY, Higher interest rate, less fees. never had a problem with them.

C-2

Reaction score
I looked into CapOne and they don't have any local banking centers around my area (Riverside).

I agree, BofA super convenient, but the fees (pers and business) are creeping up.

We also have a credit union, but the last time my card got jacked, it required a Notarized affidavit and was a total PITA. Not to mention the weekend their banking system went down and they acted as if nothing happened, lol.

Dunno....

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
@Bear Down I have US Bank and pay zero fees for anything. Talk to your branch manager and get set up with a better account level.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Like said earlier, Schools First FCU, or another “school CU” near you. If you have kids in that district you may qualify for a free membership. If not, they may require a small one time donation to something like PBS.
Bank where you are a member and not a digit for a board of directors.
I use a local CU here in NV. I also bank with CapOne and just opened a new account with Betterment. Both online banks were paying north of 2% until Fed rate drop.
CapOne has good app and you can open your kids a checking account with a best card. So nice when they need to go somewhere and you don’t have to worry about them holding cash.

adam909

Reaction score
Yes, direct deposit through them and still get the $14.95 Fee... Its silly in my opinion (at least that much per month) even BofA is cheaper at $12.95

i belive BofA and chase have free checking if you set up direct deposit and hold a min amount in the account which isnt much.. might look into it..

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Running US Bank currently. looking at alternatives also as they have lied top me about two different loans. My account is gold or platinum so no fees. looking into golden one.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I am a member of 3 credit unions. I wont deposit my money at a regular bank...especially BofA or WellsFargo.... fee whores.