Oops

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 31

2Driver

Reaction score
Sucks.

Im guessing he launched without the plug and by the time he got to the house it was too late to do anything.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Bummer. [emoji107]

I forgot the plugs in my old stoker once (yes plural). You know right away. And the task of putting three plugs in on a panic underwater is something I hope to never do again. Lol.

l84theriv

Reaction score
Ive been there. Second time my ole man trusted me to take his boat out by myself in havasu back in 1996 when I was 17 still in high school. That poor vector almost saw the bottom of Thompson bay. I will attest its hard to put even one plug in, in a panic. I couldnt imagine doing three RB.

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
Ive been there. Second time my ole man trusted me to take his boat out by myself in havasu back in 1996 when I was 17 still in high school. That poor vector almost saw the bottom of Thompson bay. I will attest its hard to put even one plug in, in a panic. I couldnt imagine doing three RB.

That is my worst nightmare, EVER. I want to give you a hug and buy you a beer for sharing that.

My Pops is a type-A personality, hair trigger lunatic, and if that happened, I'd off myself. Looking back, I begged to borrow the boat, and he always said no. Hindsight, I couldn't be happier he did. I know something would have happened.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

Earlier in the day. Tom went up to knock on the door to let them know but no one home.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
How do u tell someone....umm excuse me but yur boat is sinkin

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Always amazed when a sunk boat is back on the water the same weekend. What's the take on a situation like this where the boat likely has electronics etc? What's possibly saveable?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Bummer. [emoji107]

I forgot the plugs in my old stoker once (yes plural). You know right away. And the task of putting three plugs in on a panic underwater is something I hope to never do again. Lol.
My uncle's Lavey has 4. The 20.2 Seabring has a step in the bottom of the center sponson so there is a plug at that step as well as one at the rear of each sponson. He never pulls the forward middle one cause it's such a bitch to get to. Lucky for him, I don't think he's ever forgotten those plugs.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I would imagine get the plug back in and get a water pump from harbor freight or whatever. I'm surprised they just let it sit there!

Someone save her!

Taboma

Reaction score
Launch boat, never bother to pop open the hatch for a look-see or three --- ignorance is bliss, well, until your boat sinks --- sheesh :eek

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My buddy's Conquest once sunk while we were on a houseboat trip at Powell. The bilge pump discharge did not have a hydraulic loop or nonreturn check valve, allowed water to enter thru the discharge site on the hull. Boat was parked bow on the beach with a steep bank. No one freaked out. We began hand bailing, got a pump going, got it floating. After towing it back to Wahweap from Padre Bay, a lot of work, oil & filter changes, WD 40 etc, he had it running again in about 12 hours. The Conquest ran great for the remainder of the week. Sure glad it was fresh water.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Always amazed when a sunk boat is back on the water the same weekend. What's the take on a situation like this where the boat likely has electronics etc? What's possibly saveable?

Best thing you can do is get it running ASAP after a fluid and fuel change. You want to get it up to operating temp and put lots of time on it. The engine electronics will usually be just fine. Stereo and other stuff like onboard changer may be junk, but that isn't the main concern in this situation.

rvrrun

Reaction score
My wife asks me at least a dozen times if the plug is in every time we launch, and I'm perfectly ok with that. I check under the hatch and manually run the pump once on the water just to be sure.

That sucks for the owner of that boat. At least it's in the keys, it can't go down too far.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Somehow I have the feeling that that took longer to sink than a missing plug.:hmm

CobraDave

Reaction score
Maybe the thought is an insurance payout will get him an upgrade.

milkmoney

Reaction score
That would ruin my day that's for sure.

I used to put the plug in my sea food all the time , run half the day and never took on water or sank. Weird [emoji202]

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
My parents took their boat to Katherine's landing one time and as they were heading to the gas dock from the launch ramp the bilge pump kicked on and started pumping a 6' stream of water out of the side of the boat. Dad pulled the boat into a slip as fast as he could and dove under water with the plug and got it installed in time. Not a fun experience I wouldn't think.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Somehow I have the feeling that that took longer to sink than a missing plug.:hmm
It's very quick. Specially if you don't have an automatic bilge pump. When I forgot my plug my boat had already taken on about a foot of water in the bilge before we noticed and that was in 15 minutes. I can see that boat getting the gunnel below the water in just about an hour easily.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It's very quick. Specially if you don't have an automatic bilge pump. When I forgot my plug my boat had already taken on about a foot of water in the bilge before we noticed and that was in 15 minutes. I can see that boat getting the gunnel below the water in just about an hour easily.

That's what I was getting at, seems like you might notice something was wrong before you left it all day if it was a plug. I'm guessing a slower leak, but who knows.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
That sucks.

Auto bilge pump - FTW. Forgot my plug at Windsor once. I kept it in the cup holder in the console. Put the boat in, ran over to Site 4 to pick up my driver and opened a drink. When I went to put it in the cup holder, there's the plug! I jumped in and screwed the plug in. Jumped back in the boat and pulled the hatch...the bilge was DRY! Apparently a 2000GPH bilge pump can outrun a 1/2" NPT drain plug hole.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I throw the ratcheting tie down straps on every time I pull out. That way she ain't leaving the trailer if I forget. That'll remind me to put the plug in too. Only happened once. Had too big a boner to launch.

dave29

Reaction score
My buddy's Conquest once sunk while we were on a houseboat trip at Powell. The bilge pump discharge did not have a hydraulic loop or nonreturn check valve, allowed water to enter thru the discharge site on the hull. Boat was parked bow on the beach with a steep bank. No one freaked out. We began hand bailing, got a pump going, got it floating. After towing it back to Wahweap from Padre Bay, a lot of work, oil & filter changes, WD 40 etc, he had it running again in about 12 hours. The Conquest ran great for the remainder of the week. Sure glad it was fresh water.

Also, pull the spark plugs and turn over the motor. If you don't, best case basis blown head gasket. Worst case, rods. Helped a guy years ago with a Sanger hydro that sunk. I told him to pull the plugs but he didn't listen. Water was shooting out of the heads when he started the motor.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
This is my "fool proof" method to ensure that the plug is always in when launching. I figure that if I attempt to start the engine with the plug still hanging on the key ring, then I'm not smart enough to be on the water anyway.... :)

20170522_113748.jpg

fishing fool

Reaction score
This is my "fool proof" method to ensure that the plug is always in when launching. I figure that if I attempt to start the engine with the plug still hanging on the key ring, then I'm not smart enough to be on the water anyway.... :)

View attachment 562654

Not "fool proof" if you don't put it there when you pull it tho.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
i dont have a pic....but i love the plugs in our boat...you cant take them completely out....we always put the boat buckles on as well so our routine is always the same. take boatbuckle off screw the plugs in....pull boat out of water put boat buckles on and unscrew the plugs....

Tank

Reaction score
That's horrible. I would shit my pants.

I backed my old Baja down the ramp once and while it was in the water on the trailer cracked the engine hatch to make sure everything was cool. It wasn't. No plug. Drug it out real quick and put the plug in.

I alway always always, open the engine hatch and look around in the engine bay before backing off the trailer. It's not just the plugs, I had a bad leak from a Shifter cable once and have seen stuff in other boats like large leaks from a busted hose etc.

Plus I always put keys to the cigarette in the same cup holder WITH the plugs.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I forgot 1 of the 2 on my Daytona! Let's just say I got distracted. Thankfully it was the driver side and I figured it out when my left foot started to get wet. The freeboard is minimal so I was able to put the plug in by leaning over the transom. Only suffered a burn from the turbo!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

View attachment 562654
How do start the boat if your keys are under water with the plug?[emoji6] [emoji39] [emoji23]

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That sucks.

Auto bilge pump - FTW. Forgot my plug at Windsor once. I kept it in the cup holder in the console. Put the boat in, ran over to Site 4 to pick up my driver and opened a drink. When I went to put it in the cup holder, there's the plug! I jumped in and screwed the plug in. Jumped back in the boat and pulled the hatch...the bilge was DRY! Apparently a 2000GPH bilge pump can outrun a 1/2" NPT drain plug hole.
Fastest way to empty a bilge is to leave plug out and get boat on plane. Sucks it dry in matter of moments.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Such a dark cloud attitude[emoji107]

My thought was not that he launched it intentionally to sink it, but after it was half sank to just say F it and be in no hurry to recover it. I was wondering how it was just unattended for a period of time and trying to rationalize it.

I'm sorry if you know the guy which I imagine, but every once and awhile people can do some bad things. Even such horrible things as making false insurance claims.

Anyway, what's the status on it?

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Fresh water sinking you can save most parts but
do it in the salt water and thats it

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My thought was not that he launched it intentionally to sink it, but after it was half sank to just say F it and be in no hurry to recover it. I was wondering how it was just unattended for a period of time and trying to rationalize it.

I'm sorry if you know the guy which I imagine, but every once and awhile people can do some bad things. Even such horrible things as making false insurance claims.

Anyway, what's the status on it?
No, don't know who owns it. It just is a negative post in my eyes. Shit happens and it isn't always on purpose. It just seems that every time a sunk boat pic gets posted I read posts how the owners did it just for the insurance.

milkmoney

Reaction score
No, don't know who owns it. It just is a negative post in my eyes. Shit happens and it isn't always on purpose. It just seems that every time a sunk boat pic gets posted I read posts how the owners did it just for the insurance.
I was told by a insurance guy, that every time there is a claim, the first thing the insurance does is make sure it's not fraud. We are guilty until proven innocent [emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Well that's not what I said.
I understood what u said, now if it comes back that it was a fraud then all the quarterbacks or as I day assclowns, will come back and say I knew it lol. [emoji6] [emoji202]

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I was told by a insurance guy, that every time there is a claim, the first thing the insurance does is make sure it's not fraud. We are guilty until proven innocent [emoji202]
Glad they do.[emoji106] I'm sure there's been tons of fraud. [emoji107]

rvrrun

Reaction score
Fastest way to empty a bilge is to leave plug out and get boat on plane. Sucks it dry in matter of moments.

A buddy had scuppers on his flattie. They worked amazingly well.