WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opinion for a novice shooter

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've shot a little since I was a kid. Mostly shotguns and plinking with a .22 rifle. Now that we have a place at the Landing, I've been shooting a little more out in the desert. I have a 12 gauge that I've been shooting rifled slugs out of for the first time, and it is super fun. Way more accurate at long distance than I thought. To my question...

I'm thinking of getting the wife a 9mm pistol, she wants to shoot a little and I was going to match that with a 9mm Carbine. Thought was to keep ammo and magazines interchangeable to keep costs down, Not interested in big stopping power, but want to plink with a little more pop than the .22s (also have a semi-auto .22 pistol). Thoughts?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Come see me at Southwest Firearms in LHC. I’ll show you the Ruger PC 9 carbine that uses Glock magazines. Then we’ll look at a Gen 5 Glock 19 pistol.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
May do that, thanks! We come over to the other side quite a bit. Those two were definitely on my list. Other than 9mm limitations any bad side to this plan?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
What issues are there for a CA resident buying in AZ?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Well, you need to be an AZ resident - even a part timer will do. If not, then we have to verify the firearms bought comply with CA and then we ship them to a CA fro where you wait the 10 days etc.

It will be easier if you buy a small dirt lot here.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Lol. Expected as much. I'll probably drop by Turner's here tomorrow and see how that goes. What do you think of the Hi Point 995?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Lol. Expected as much. I'll probably drop by Turner's here tomorrow and see how that goes. What do you think of the Hi Point 995?
lol.. No on the High Point. Glock is a good cheap reliable gun. Smith $ Wesson the same. Go to a range where you can rent guns and try a few different ones out. You will be far ahead on what you like after that.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
What issues are there for a CA resident buying in AZ?
Federally you can not buy a fire arm out of state with out it being shipped to a ffl in the state you live in. Does not matter if its face to face or at a ffl. Doing so is a felony. Thier are some exceptions, like holding a 03 ffl.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
not a big deal to buy online gun to Cal Just have to go to gun shop or dealer they will charge small fee for paperwork and it ships to them they follow C.A. wait period, when I bought my AR it was listed with 20 or 30 round mags and they could only ship 10 rd with to be C.A complaint so it will have accept 10 rd or less mags to be C.A. legal

Yellowboat

Reaction score
not a big deal to buy online gun to Cal Just have to go to gun shop or dealer they will charge small fee for paperwork and it ships to them they follow C.A. wait period, when I bought my AR it was listed with 20 or 30 round mags and they could only ship 10 rd with to be C.A complaint so it will have accept 10 rd or less mags to be C.A. legal
If its a hand gun amd you are not leo, it has to be on the " safe" list. Ca also has a very convoluted assualt weapons ban. Where basic features are illegal. I doubt you will find very many dealers that will ship an ar 15 to ca.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've seen that setup. I'll dig deeper. I do like the relatively plane look of the Ruger though. The Beretta looks kinda like it could be Darth Vader's... :)

Thanks all!! I'd love a lever action rifle, but something about the 9mm round is not compatible? I understand it would knock out the compatible magazine bit; I went that way when I couldn't find any lever action 9s.

02HoWaRd26

Reaction score
I've seen that setup. I'll dig deeper. I do like the relatively plane look of the Ruger though. The Beretta looks kinda like it could be Darth Vader's... :)

Thanks all!! I'd love a lever action rifle, but something about the 9mm round is not compatible? I understand it would knock out the compatible magazine bit; I went that way when I couldn't find any lever action 9s.
Close, Battlestar Galactic lol. I got mine in probably 2002 or 2003 thy were pretty futuristic, and have been used in a few movies as the pistol as well the carbine. It’s a fun gun for sure.
206B6941-DACB-4BAB-B4C0-53AEEECA0BAB.jpeg
75327AE2-9DB0-4665-BCB4-31F0F30E3A32.jpeg

Orange Juice

Reaction score
9 mm has stopping power. If you’re looking for a little more kick, try s .22 mag. ;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the PX9 is a no go in Cali. I played hell with a KelTec Sub2K about 8 years ago. It was less than a 1/2 in too short. It's a lowbuck carbine in .40 and Glock mags.

At the river pad, I usually have a couple of old levers of the 38spc or .357 variety, and a couple revolvers. I find it more cost effective than taking the 5.56 stuff out to hunt beer cans.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
For plinking, look at 17Hmr bolt actions. Fun guns for 100-200 yard target shooting.

Ruger Mark series 22's are great shooters and cheap to feed.

1911's are a passion for me. And the gun I love to shoot and most accurate hand gun I own, is my Ruger GP100 6" barrel 357Mag

BONER

Reaction score
Yep if you want interchangeable buy a Glock.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I went and looked at the Ruger PC9 yesterday. I do like that look and feel; and I will probably go that way when I pull the trigger (pun intended). I think I'll leave the corresponding pistol decision to the wife. We'll go rent a few for her to get some experience and help make the decision. Thanks all for the excellent posts, any other comments are definitely welcome.

Last edited:

River Runnin

Reaction score
Henry 45 Long Colt, (LC) a couple SAA's and a Taurus Judge! ;)