WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opinions requested

Berdes

Reaction score
Recently moved to the Coosa River in Alabama. Turns out there are a lot of shallows in this area, so the idea of a direct drive 40's style "gentleman's racer" style boat may not be feasible. Rather than switching to an outdrive, I was thinking of a jet. I don't see any major obstacles to doing that. Looking for opinions on such a swap and also any possible source for a drive or maybe a complete neglected jet boat with a usable drive to pirate from.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
There is only one option here....

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Do you have said "gentlemen's racer" ?
If so, how long and how heavy?
Does it have a "V" bottom or flat bottom?

Jets aren't as favorable on a flat bottom, but it has been done before.

Aquatic plant material (aka pump salad) might be a constant issue in that part of the country.

26 foot is the longest jet boat I've seen, and a hot rod it was not. Functional, but probably a 45-50 mph boat with decent big block power.

Sources?
Jet Boat Performance.
C. P. Performance. Among others.
A Berkeley or Berkeley derivative work be my choice. ( American Turbine, Dominator, Legend Jets)
I'd avoid Jacuzzi and Panther.

Big block Chevy, Big block Ford, GM LS, Small block chevy, and lastly Olds would be my pecking order.
Hemi's, FE's, and flathead Fords would work, but parts availability and reliability play a part.

Very well could be an exercise in futility. And moe-nay... Large outlays of cash. Like pallets full. Benjamin's weighed by the pound.

Hope this helps.

Post up pics of said gentlemen's racer boat.

Dan'l

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
You are not to far from" High tech performance" out of Shell Knob, MO . Good people and offer many parts , upgrades and advice. Like many in the jet pump field have pioneered some really good parts over the years. Not doubting any of the west coat pump guys. They are very well deserving.
Not going to fight or argue, just offering a suggestion

Berdes

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guy's. This is all still a thought exercise, don't have a hull yet, but am exploring the possability of using a 'glass repop so it would be a shallow V
between 18 and 21 ft. Didn't know of some of the suppliers mentioned, but I'll add X-Rated Performance in Bayville NJ to the list. They do extensive performance work on ski's.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guy's. This is all still a thought exercise, don't have a hull yet, but am exploring the possability of using a 'glass repop so it would be a shallow V
between 18 and 21 ft. Didn't know of some of the suppliers mentioned, but I'll add X-Rated Performance in Bayville NJ to the list. They do extensive performance work on ski's.

A jet ski pump is an axial pump, basically a prop in a tube.
A mixed flow pump ( both axial and centrifugal) like a Berkeley is better suited to a 21' v bottom boat.

Both panther and jacuzzi yj are axial pumps. Functional, but not a performance piece, unless they have been converted to a mixed flow pump. Then they are just (more) like a Berkeley. Might as well start with a Berkeley, or derivative.

Pumps require some horsepower. 400 hp would be at the bottom of the barrel. Think cubic inches. The more, the better. Peak hp @ 5k rpm just for reference.

Hope this helps.

Dan'l
Ditch pump degenerate.

Berdes

Reaction score
As happens so often, life made a 90 deg. turn, and I found this. Merc sport jet in a 17ft. retro look gentleman's racer. Pretty darn cool IMO.
AlsbergClassic.jpg

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Just to Chime in , Mercury sport jet combos offer marginal performance at best , One might think I'm being a "big jet" snob But Josh and I re rigged a very anemc 17' Aluminum boat with v6/Sportjet a few years back that was a 40 mph craft on a good day, post EFI SBC and set back Dominator jet the performance was dramatically different (55 mph) and enormous low end

Berdes

Reaction score
Going to need to see some more pics of this.
These are the only photo's so far, with the storms and all not getting out much. Plus they actually drain the river when a flash flood condition arises.
Just a "boy and his dog" out having fun. This boat runs 55, and it's only a 175 sport jet. Of course the speedo is the old pressure guage type, but still, I think it's pretty close.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 91

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
These are the only photo's so far, with the storms and all not getting out much. Plus they actually drain the river when a flash flood condition arises.
Just a "boy and his dog" out having fun. This boat runs 55, and it's only a 175 sport jet. Of course the speedo is the old pressure guage type, but still, I think it's pretty close.

Very cool, have never seen anything like it. I'm a big wooden boat fan so this just looks awesome. Enjoy, hope to see more pictures of it in the future.

Berdes

Reaction score
Thanks, it's a re-pop of 1937 Century Thunderbolt. There's a video on youtube of an original.