WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opportunity for a Union Golden Age?

Roosky01

Reaction score
With all the jab mandates starting to really come to a head, isn`t this the perfect opportunity for Unions to gain a much needed (if you believe in them) foothold here? Looks like the Chicago employee mandate goes in to effect this weekend and could turn into a real shitshow since half of the employees are refusing the jab. Why are the Unions not taking this opportunity to gain ground with the masses that are oblivious to Unions?

Seems to me the perfect opportunity to finally unchain themselves from the Democratic party and truly gain ground with the general public? Adapt or die...seems like a no-brainer to me?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have never been pro union, but also I never expected this nations government to go full on tyrant and I happen to be a Libertarian.

So something and something about the enemy of my enemy??

Let's Go Brandon!!!

Roosky01

Reaction score
I have never been pro union, but also I never expected this nations government to go full on tyrant and I happen to be a Libertarian.

So something and something about the enemy of my enemy??

Let's Go Brandon!!!
I was a Union member for 7 years early on in my career and I truly don`t believe that I received anything from being a member that I couldn`t have obtained on my own. That being said, If there ever was a time that a Union should be proving it`s worth, it is right fuk`n now...IMO.

Roosky01

Reaction score
Unions are owned by the dems. The unions tell you to vote dem.
That is true. However the rank and file of these Unions, at least the pipeline construction members ( Operators, Welders, Laborers, Teamsters) that I interact with everyday, absolutely hate Biden and the Dems? I can’t imagine it is that much different with the other trades that actually sweat and get dirty everyday for a living?

I personally believe that it’s the 20% of members leading the other 80% because those 80% don’t want to get involved in the “politics” of the Union hierarchy and want to live their life.

Again, I’m not talking about the desk sitters that are living off the .gov tit. I’m talking about the people who build shit, fly us around, and protect us.

Seems like a golden opportunity for them to gain traction with the public perception and actually build membership rather than bleeding out towards a slow death as is the current trend.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With all the jab mandates starting to really come to a head, isn`t this the perfect opportunity for Unions to gain a much needed (if you believe in them) foothold here? Looks like the Chicago employee mandate goes in to effect this weekend and could turn into a real shitshow since half of the employees are refusing the jab. Why are the Unions not taking this opportunity to gain ground with the masses that are oblivious to Unions?

Seems to me the perfect opportunity to finally unchain themselves from the Democratic party and truly gain ground with the general public? Adapt or die...seems like a no-brainer to me?
Because like the Democratic Party the unions are corrupt. For that matter the republicans are as well

grumpy88

Reaction score
Our union is weak and leads us around . I was shocked to find out how many guys i work with support and voted for biden . Those sane guys also would of pushed down women and children to get there vaccine . Its sad what years of brain washing has done to people.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
My Local has been doing exactly what this thread is talking about… supporting labor, pushing back on managements mask and vax “recommendations”, and trying to use a common sense approach to everything. We have a lot of dems that are actually seeing the light. My International, though, is not doing the same, and has lost a TON of financial support from our Local. Guys are pulling all of their PAC funding left and right.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife refuses to belong to her employers union. She feels you should be judged on your job performance merits and that should be that. Quietly stoic and stubborn on that take.
We have 15 years of unpaid dues requests filed away.
99%+ employees voluntarily took the vaccine.

Me, I worked my job before and after we voted in a Union. It was much better with a Union. My projected pension increased 8X more on top all that.

We ended benchmarking of pay raises and also 100% of the raise appeared on your check.

Benchmarking:
It may have changed since but when I was active: The LAPD for example, who I think eventually got a contract like ours, would get a pay raise of 3%. That will be 3% of their benchmarked pay in 2003. Not based on what they earn today. Then 1.1% goes toward their medical, then .5% toward their pension, leaving them with 1.4% raise of what they earned 16 years ago. On top of that, it was spread over 4 years. The Cops didn't see shit on their empty paychecks.

That may have finally changed but we ended it first contract when we voted the union in. That was enormous and the LAPD union fought like hell to get the same. I hope they did.

Lots of employer shenanigans were ended when we went union. Last minute shift changes to avoid paying overtime, not telling you if your vacation is approved until the end of shift on the day before you requested it to start, endless bullshit like that we got stopped. State and Federal labor laws don't cover any of that crap.

We voted the Union in back in the 18% Jimmy Carter inflation days. Crazy not too.

1634129479886.png

Last edited:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
why do you need a union? It just becomes a power, money, hungry corrupt entity.
I have no problem with collective bargaining, If the workers agree and need something, get together and petition employer.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Most of the Unions and the DNC are joined at the hip. That’s why yore not seeing much pushback except what we witnessed by the Southwest Airlines Union over the weekend. These Jab Mandates the Dems are pushing thru OSHA are going to implode the economy by Q1 / 2022 if they don’t back off. I’m stocking up on stuff, the shelves in the stores will be empty soon!!

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
why do you need a union? It just becomes a power, money, hungry corrupt entity.
I have no problem with collective bargaining, If the workers agree and need something, get together and petition employer.
I could write 5 pages on what my union does above and beyond collective bargaining. But, getting employees together to petition a city employer for something when you have 1500-3000+ staff is a little easier said than done.

Xring01

Reaction score
I personnally feel that Unions have lost the goals, they where organized to achieve.
Which is to protect the employee from bad behavior of the employer....

Today, they are so politically motivated, it doesnt matter what comes out of there mouth. Its nothing but politics, and they bend over for everyone, to keep the $$$ flowing and stay in power, to control there sheep.

Unions, are just like religion and government. Its all about $$$ and control... PERIOD.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
Wife refuses to belong to her employers union. She feels you should be judged on your job performance merits and that should be that. Quietly stoic and stubborn on that take.

Me, I worked my job before and after we voted in a Union. It was much better with a Union. My projected pension increased 8X more on top all that.

We ended benchmarking of pay raises and also 100% of the raise appeared on your check.

Benchmarking:
It may have changed since but when I was active: The LAPD for example, who I think eventually got a contract like ours, would get a pay raise of 3%. That will be 3% of their benchmarked pay in 2003. Not based on what they earn today. Then 1.1% goes toward their medical, then .5% toward their pension, leaving them with 1.4% raise of what they earned 16 years ago. On top of that, it was spread over 4 years. The Cops didn't see shit on their empty paychecks.

That may have finally changed but we ended it first contract when we voted the union in. That was enormous and the LAPD union fought like hell to get the same. I hope they did.

Lots of employer shenanigans were ended when we went union. Last minute shift changes to avoid paying overtime, not telling you if your vacation is approved until the end of shift on the day before you requested it to start, endless bullshit like that we got stopped. State and Federal labor laws don't cover any of that crap.

We voted the Union in back in the 18% Jimmy Carter inflation days. Crazy not too.

View attachment 1058226

TPC - IBEW is probably the best Union that I know of, but I have witnessed them screw over alot of members who are personal friends of mine, working at SDGE, SCE, PG&E etc. They do better than most, but in over 25 years in my career... I can name some serious faults they have. Including allowing the Largest Transformer Manufacturing Facility (at that time period) in the U.S. close due to "negotiations". Which happened to be in Milpitas Ca. They failed then, and several other times that I have witnessed. Again, all politically motivated.

Being former military, our National Grid is pretty important to our safety from foriegn enemy's. Lossing the ability to produce large power transformers for a few years was not good. Yes eventually new plants opened up. But that did not have to happen at all. That Union, put politics over national security. I will never forgive them for that. The fact it never made national news tells you alot about how Unions are reported on.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I am curious to know what is going on in the ranks regarding the jab, specifically? I’m sure the Internationals in D.C. are all for it, but what is your local leadership doing regarding?

Is there any serious pushback that is going to lead to something? Seems to me it’s the perfect opportunity to clean house at the top of these organizations and really have your voices heard…

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
IBEW for 34 years, dues paying not just agency shop. Working civil service we had the option. We were always the step child to the Inside Wiremen and the rest of the local. There were some years where the local represented us strong, most of the time it was just a money give away by rank and file. But , our civil service members were rarely the squeaky wheel. Few atteded meetings or any union activities. I was a union trained steward for 9 years. But the union will just take you money if you let them and don't demand service.

Bugginout

Reaction score

Benchmarking:

View attachment 1058226
I am IBEW we bring the power and keep the lights on. Bunch of sheep out there in Louisiana making sure people have power right now.

riverroyal

Reaction score
1st union members are not sheep. That’s a ignorant statement
Next, if your not in a union then how would you know about a union? What you read online?
Being in a union is a choice. Just like who you vote for or if you vacated or not.
You never hear union guys talking shit about non union guys. But flip that and non union guy think all unions are the devil, why?
The union asked the members to vote Biden. Nobody I know did. The reality is union members voted for what was best for American, trump. That’s because they are not sheep, they are actually patriotic Americans wanting what’s best for ALL Americans.
If you ‘worked’ union for some short period of time and left that’s fine. Nobody cares. We’ve all changed careers and employment at some point.

Back to the original question. The unions in construction are not recognizing any mandated vac. It’s your choice, not the union. You can work without a vac and they are not enforcing it.
This means the contractor can not enforce it either. They go hand in hand.
NOW there are some projects that are asking all construction worker to be vaccinated to be onsite. There are enough vaccinated union workers to take these projects. Passing up on these is also happening due to overall labor shortages.

I’m not a sheep. I’m 33 years in a union and I’m vaccinated. Both my choice, not yours. I’m happy with my choices and I don’t care about yours.

I can debate the union vs non all day. I’m 3rd generation and try to avoid the conversations because for whatever reason the non side seems to know what’s best for people and families they don’t even know

rrrr

Reaction score

View attachment 1058226

I mentioned in another thread how my Dad fought the sheet metal workers union to allow me to work in his shop and deliver truckloads of ductwork to jobs. It was an ugly war sometimes, depending on who was the BA.

But when I owned a specialty GC firm that built large critical data centers under strict time constraints, I hired union contractors. I wanted the knowledge and manpower advantages of large companies that had competent and trained employees.

I made it clear to the company owners that there wasn't going to be any bullshit going on with my superintendents. My guys were instructed in the ways of using union labor, and I trained them in dispute resolution at the jobsite level.

The result was I never had any serious issues. The IBEW guys in particular were knowledgeable.and professional. They knew I held an electrical license, had experience in the most complex types of projects, was going to monitor their craftsmanship, and the schedule was absolutely going to be adhered to.

Over the years, I also saw the ugly side of unions several times, caused by troublemakers. Some guys were incompetent, and there was sabotage, fights, drinking and drug use, and malingering.

In very few cases the jobsite stewards protected these people. But I worked hard to make sure that didn't happen on my projects. Almost without exception, if there was someone that caused problems, I had a discussion with the foreman, and that person was gone.

Electrical work is the heart of a data center. It has to be done correctly and the quality must be at the highest level. The IBEW jobsite stewards, the foremen, and everyone else down to the apprentices worked their asses off and responded to the challenges. I took pride in our relationship, and we consistently built out projects on time and within budget.

Last edited:

Bugginout

Reaction score
1st union members are not sheep. That’s a ignorant statement
Next, if your not in a union then how would you know about a union? What you read online?
Being in a union is a choice. Just like who you vote for or if you vacated or not.
You never hear union guys talking shit about non union guys. But flip that and non union guy think all unions are the devil, why?
The union asked the members to vote Biden. Nobody I know did. The reality is union members voted for what was best for American, trump. That’s because they are not sheep, they are actually patriotic Americans wanting what’s best for ALL Americans.
If you ‘worked’ union for some short period of time and left that’s fine. Nobody cares. We’ve all changed careers and employment at some point.

Back to the original question. The unions in construction are not recognizing any mandated vac. It’s your choice, not the union. You can work without a vac and they are not enforcing it.
This means the contractor can not enforce it either. They go hand in hand.
NOW there are some projects that are asking all construction worker to be vaccinated to be onsite. There are enough vaccinated union workers to take these projects. Passing up on these is also happening due to overall labor shortages.

I’m not a sheep. I’m 33 years in a union and I’m vaccinated. Both my choice, not yours. I’m happy with my choices and I don’t care about yours.

I can debate the union vs non all day. I’m 3rd generation and try to avoid the conversations because for whatever reason the non side seems to know what’s best for people and families they don’t even know
Well said thank you.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how my Dad fought the sheet metal.workers union to allow me to work in his shop and deliver truckloads of ductwork to jobs. It was an ugly war sometimes depending on who was the BA.

But when I owned a specialty GC firm that built large critical data centers under strict time constraints, I hired union contractors. I wanted the knowledge and manpower advantages of large companies that had competent and trained employees.

I made it clear to the company owners that there wasn't going to be any bullshit going on with my superintendents. My guys were instructed in the ways of using union labor and I trained them in dispute resolution at the jobsite level.

The result was I never had any serious issues. The IBEW guys in particular were knowledgeable.and professional. They knew I held an electrical license, that I had experience in the most complex types of projects, I was going to monitor their craftsmanship, and that the schedule was absolutely going to be adhered to.

Over the years, I also saw the ugly side of unions several times by troublemakers. Some guys were incompetent, and there was sabotage, fights, drinking and drug use, and malingering.

In very few cases the jobsite stewards protected these people. But I worked hard to make sure that didn't happen on my projects. Almost without exception, if there was someone that caused problems, I had a discussion with the foreman, and that person was gone.

Electrical work is the heart of a data center. It had to be done correctly and the quality had to be at the highest level. The IBEW jobsite stewards, the foreman, and everyone else down to the apprentices worked their asses off and responded to the challenges. I took pride in our relationship, and we consistently built out projects on time and within budget.
Thank you, I call it the 15-70-15 rule. 15 percent of my guys are born leaders, 70 percent are good guy's but need to be directed where to go and what to do, 15 percent are garbage and cancer and I get rid of them as quickly as possible. I worked non union 10 years before I became union. Best decision I have ever made. I also teach for our JATC. Gorilla backs and Narrow backs are some of the best guy's I know. Most of us are trying to change the face of the IBEW. Haven't met many sheep. We try to get the job done on time and under budget.

caribbean20

Reaction score
I’ve generally been against unions because socialism is a rotten system and the unions’ close ties to the Democrats. But you do bring up a good point. Now would be a good time to use that strength in numbers if you’re against mandates, as am I.

I’ve got no problem with getting the vaccine, just don’t like being told I’ve got to do something.

BTW, I was a card carrying member of the UAW early in my life in Detroit.

riverroyal

Reaction score
The construction unions are doing something. They are not going to make it mandatory for the members. Not much else they can do.
If I need a worker I don’t ask if he or she is vaccinated.
Now if I need a vaccinated worker for a project requiring all on-site to be vaccinated then it’s just a movement of manpower. You still hire the person and place them accordingly.
FYI I don’t hire anyone now. Just a example

Job sites still screen daily for COVID. Temp checks etc. all digital now , it’s actually very fast and not a big deal.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
We have affiliations with several unions. Overheard my sheet metal guys talking that they should vote Trump or there will be now work. The pipefitters all voted Dipshit and then he put thousands of pipe fitters out of work shutting down the pipeline.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
When we voted in a Union some guys were so anti-Union they all took jobs at a non union Nuclear plant.
Cashed out their retirements, quit, sold their homes and moved north.
They all got on the same shift.

Then one day they did a "Tagging Error" on the plants fresh water drinking fountain system they were securing and draining for service. Harmless mistake.
Tagging errors are immediate termination of the entire crew.
Just like that, unemployed and only refunded their contributions to the retirement system.
It's why you have a Union.

But on the other hand:
Wife had a new nurse on her shift that set a patients hydration pump to 6 minutes instead of 60. Harmless mistake. Computer caught it, flagged it and it was corrected in minutes. No BFD even if it did only run 6 minutes.

Management was going to terminate the entire crew. No Union rep showed up.
So all the nurses, 998 of them then threatened to walk off the job if management followed through.
Management ran scared.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Yes indeed but in our case we supported a corrupt Dem Villagrossa who's puppet strings the Union controlled. Paid off deluxe. Play their game to your own advantage is the only way through politics. Hold your enemies closer.
The only way you'll fuck the government is to work for it.- TPC

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
We have affiliations with several unions. Overheard my sheet metal guys talking that they should vote Trump or there will be now work. The pipefitters all voted Dipshit and then he put thousands of pipe fitters out of work shutting down the pipeline.
Pipefitters are douche's. 😀

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Union or non-union, doesn't really matter. The skills a worker has and their drive is what really matters I think. Pops was a union guy, 35 years. Was head BA at his local for a bit. Now, the fellow that has the same gig is full on "Workers' Party of Los Angeles"...even running for a city council seat I heard. The members of his own union are trying to vote him out now, as his politics are not really in line with the members. There are definitely those who aren't sheep, more eyes are opening.

As for union guys never talk down non-union guys...having myself been non-union, I'd hear it on occasion. Usually on jobs with other trades from union shops, or, not that this would ever happen 😏 , when a union guy would be scabbin' with us low lifes 😂

Don't matter who you work for, it matters if you do the job right. As long as that part is done, you get paid and there's food on the table.

riverroyal

Reaction score
they got what they asked for
Fyi. Im a union pipefitter/steamfitter. Nobody i know voted for Biden. But that's in socal. Im not sure about the other 1000 plus locals.
Thankfully the power plant pipefitter mentality has almost burned out.
San Onofre ruined many amazing craftmen for work ethics.

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
Dude, enough. Thats enough. You obviously don't have a clue how big jobs work

Name one union. I don’t care if the employees are conservative, their union is one of the major sponsors of cuckery. “Yeah man I hate liberals but love getting paid that prevailing wage”

HBCraig

Reaction score
Name one union. I don’t care if the employees are conservative, their union is one of the major sponsors of cuckery. “Yeah man I hate liberals but love getting paid that prevailing wage”
You my friend are a disparaging clown. Go get educated and do a days work in a union set of boots. Maybe an operator, an oiler, a concrete finisher, a sprinkler fitter ....

I would pay money to see you say what you are saying to union skilled labor folks. Say when

Bugginout

Reaction score
Seen some sheep flying from the bottom of helicopter today in faraday suits onto 500 kv lines so keyboard quarter backs could have internet and electricity. Whole bunch of us at the river all the time who would by you a beer...help fix your boat etc...or figure out who's the sheep and who's lions.

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
You my friend are a disparaging clown. Go get educated and do a days work in a union set of boots. Maybe an operator, an oiler, a concrete finisher, a sprinkler fitter ....

I would pay money to see you say what you are saying to union skilled labor folks. Say when

When

Now name one fucking union that isn’t a part of the cuck machine

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
Local 12
Local 433
Local 3
Local 803

That's just my buddies in SoCal.

Go back into your gaming chair and world of War craft. Leave the hard working Americans alone

Yep this doesn’t look like a lefty union do I really need to check the rest? You’re a good boy, don’t ask questions

Attachments

• C840D6FF-8494-42F2-89D5-82AFED3EFBC3.jpeg
    C840D6FF-8494-42F2-89D5-82AFED3EFBC3.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 25

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Local 12
Local 433
Local 3
Local 803

That's just my buddies in SoCal.

Go back into your gaming chair and world of War craft. Leave the hard working Americans alone

BNAG! as said before. Unions, not my thing but we all are different people with our own priorities and we all have to do what works best for ourselves. For some of us unions are beneficial, for others they're not. Theres no one size fits all.

I do applaud any union that is putting their membership ahead of politics right now thougj

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yep this doesn’t look like a lefty union do I really need to check the rest? You’re a good boy, don’t ask questions
I'm not your boy.

You check what you want. Actually, let me know when you want to call a bunch of union dudes leftists and I will set it up. Can't wait cupcake

dezrtracer

Reaction score
I've worked Union for 36 years and only listened to the Democratic BS for my first 10 years . Since then times have really changed . Oh and I have never voted to ratify a contract yet ...

HBCraig

Reaction score
BNAG! as said before. Unions, not my thing but we all are different people with our own priorities and we all have to do what works best for ourselves. For some of us unions are beneficial, for others they're not. Theres no one size fits all.

I do applaud any union that is putting their membership ahead of politics right now thougj
I work with both union and non union dudes. All are about the same. Guys just want to work and make money for their family and go to the river. That's it. Great dudes on both sides. Sincere friends with both.