WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opportunity knocks.. Would you?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
So the lady and I both have the same job. Right now we aren’t really working at all because of COVID. Our employer is offering leaves in 6 month increments up to 2 years. The beauty of this leave package is, we still get partial pay, full benefits, retirement, and most importantly with our job, our travel benefits. We still have the ability to Jumpseat on other airlines anywhere in the world. The pay percentage is about 60%, so it’s definitely a cut, but it’s still enough to survive. I have this fantasy of buying this boat:
http://instagr.am/p/CBlIh98nJej/
And just traveling up through southeast Alaska. Then back down to Mexico. I can’t imagine this bizarre opportunity will ever strike again in my career. I’m 40, she is younger, And we don’t have kids..

Only thing holding us back is the house we just bought in Havasu that we are fixing up. We have a couple weeks to decide. Would you do it?

Jgarrison

Reaction score
I think you pretty much ha e already answered your own question and maybe just looking for someone to talk you out of it. I say do it and enjoy yourself. This opportunity will likely never come again for you. The only negative I could see is at the end your might have a boat that you wouldn’t use much and might not be a huge market for but I could be wrong.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Once in A lifetime opportunity..imo I wouldnt have even thought about it if the 60% allows you to live comfortably!! And hats off to your employer for the opportunity!!

Im 41 and my ol lady is 40 we also have no kida... Id say HELL YES!!

FishSniper

Reaction score
So the lady and I both have the same job. Right now we aren’t really working at all because of COVID. Our employer is offering leaves in 6 month increments up to 2 years. The beauty of this leave package is, we still get partial pay, full benefits, retirement, and most importantly with our job, our travel benefits. We still have the ability to Jumpseat on other airlines anywhere in the world. The pay percentage is about 60%, so it’s definitely a cut, but it’s still enough to survive. I have this fantasy of buying this boat:
And just traveling up through southeast Alaska. Then back down to Mexico. I can’t imagine this bizarre opportunity will ever strike again in my career. I’m 40, she is younger, And we don’t have kids..

Only thing holding us back is the house we just bought in Havasu that we are fixing up. We have a couple weeks to decide. Would you do it?
Do it. You’ll never get another opportunity like this again. Exploring southeast Alaska on your own boat is something not many people get to do.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I guess the flaw in this dream is, we can’t afford that boat after the money we just plunked down on a house... I’m still thinking we should put in for 12 months off and just let life happen..

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Fuck yes!

DO IT!

The older I get, the more I thank god I took a metric ton of those kinds of chances in my life earlier....

It becomes much harder once you get past 50.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Assuming you are pilots with one of the 4 majors? Do you get to keep your seniority? Are you currently Captian's or First Officers? If FO's gotta do the math to see high you are once the layoffs arrive this fall. MIght want to talk with some of the older Captians who have been through the furloughs before.

braindead

Reaction score
Sell the house, buy the boat, explore the open ocean, sell the boat when your done and buy your house back at a reduced price when others who have also been out of work realize they can't afford a second home anymore

fmo24

Reaction score
We are a bit older I’m 59 partner is 51 but we sold everything and loaded up our motorhome and hit the road. My two older brothers are holding out for 65 and full SS. We figured these years are worth way more than a few extra dollars in the end. I say go for it and live now. Tomorrow is not a guarantee

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Assuming you are pilots with one of the 4 majors? Do you get to keep your seniority? Are you currently Captian's or First Officers? If FO's gotta do the math to see high you are once the layoffs arrive this fall. MIght want to talk with some of the older Captians who have been through the furloughs before.

Ya, we are both captains for Alaska. These leaves will hopefully mitigate the layoffs for pilots with our company. It’s not a guarantee, but it will definitely help. We won’t be susceptible to furlough, but we could be bumped out of our captain seats, which would force us to come back from our leave.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Rent the house and go have fun. My parents did just that. Bought a RV and rented all their properties and travels the first 12 years of retirement. Renting the properties fast tracked the retirement.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I like the concept.... too many variables and not enough all too personal information needed to say what I would do if were you. But it sounds like you both work for one of the large international airlines or freight flyers. The only variable is how you'd pay for that boat [cash or finance] as it relates to being on 60% salary over 6-12 mths when you're done with the excursion. At issue is what the economic future of your specific industry might be... at this early stage they really don't know yet. From their perspective what they wish to accomplish is simply a reduction in overhead by giving you a leave of absence choice to reduce their cash bleed. As far as the boat, Its a 2019 model so she'll dump in value and you may desire to sell it after such a lengthy time together. [Not the wife of course]. Regardless, at your ages and no kids I am a believer in taking these kinds of risk/ reward choices because you always have the time and opportunity to make up for any mistakes. Go have fun... regardless of which boat you decide to take.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Ya, we are both captains for Alaska. These leaves will hopefully mitigate the layoffs for pilots with our company. It’s not a guarantee, but it will definitely help. We won’t be susceptible to furlough, but we could be bumped out of our captain seats, which would force us to come back from our leave.
That is a tough one. My gut thinks you will end up in the right seat, but who knows. Guess it depends on how many captains take early retirement as well.

Whatever the case, I think you guys are in a good spot. I don't think Alaska will be a takeover candidate any time soon and its financials are in good shape compared to AAL and UAL. For years, I have wondered why Alaska has not been bought out as it has a great reputation and they do some things operationally that other airlines would have a very difficult time replicating. I was glad when they ended up as the buyer of Virgin America

Let us know what you decide.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
That is a tough one. My gut thinks you will end up in the right seat, but who knows. Guess it depends on how many captains take early retirement as well.

Whatever the case, I think you guys are in a good spot. I don't think Alaska will be a takeover candidate any time soon and its financials are in good shape compared to AAL and UAL. For years, I have wondered why Alaska has not been bought out as it has a great reputation and they do some things operationally that other airlines would have a very difficult time replicating. I was glad when they ended up as the buyer of Virgin America

Let us know what you decide.

Most likely, you will all just see me floating around Havasu all week long for a year. But my gears are turning...

cofooter

Reaction score
Do It! Supplement your income with somehitng you enjoy immenseley if you need to, or adjust to the lower income and love life! Lots of us wishing we could have the same deal!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Absolutely, positively yes. Find a cheaper boat to use for your travels. Plenty of choices under 100k. You only live once. If you don’t, you will always regret it.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I would definitely do it , but in a little bigger boat
347E06EB-1E18-475A-B162-7C1EB2638F51.png

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Sounds good!!

Until the deal changes in 4 months.
Corona is an election year construct.

stoker

Reaction score
I recently did it for three years. We didn’t do Alaska but did leave So Cal down through the canal, up the ICW to New York then back down to Florida where we sold the boat. I would suggest you get a true blue water boat with stabilization and a 800 to 1000 mile fuel range. Our trip was unbelievable and we are thinking about selling the house and move aboard another boat full time.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I recently did it for three years. We didn’t do Alaska but did leave So Cal down through the canal, up the ICW to New York then back down to Florida where we sold the boat. I would suggest you get a true blue water boat with stabilization and a 800 to 1000 mile fuel range. Our trip was unbelievable and we are thinking about selling the house and move aboard another boat full time.

One of the best threads on RDP of all time!

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Bye! ..why aren't you gone already!?.. sweet deal right there👍😉

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Life goals, retirement goals...this is a rare opportunity to do them at the same time, while young enough to get the fullest from it. Do what you can to make it work...that's my 2 cents.

...but take lots of pics, and don't forget to post them!

rcmike

Reaction score
How many chances do you get to do this? How many days can you take the long way home and see the sunset from the mountains?

Sometimes you really need to just do it or what's the point?

Taboma

Reaction score

Glad you dropped in to share some 'Been there, done that' wisdom regarding the boat choice. :oops: That Jeanneau is a Sunday bay / coastal cruiser, or Grand Bahama Island from Ft Lauderdale on a calm day, but no way for extended blue water cruising.

farmo83

Reaction score

Do It !!!!

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
All good, but that is the wrong boat. For that money you could get something with twin diesels and it will be more economical to operate and much easier to sell when ready to. Also will be bigger with more room and amenities.
Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you make, but as airline pilots I’m guessing it’s pretty good. I would for sure pull the trigger on that option at 60% pay and full benefits. Rent the Havasu house and purchase a boat that will do the job u want while maintaining good resale.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I can tell you for sure that the first 'package' offered by any company in any industry that's in some distress like the airlines are now is always the best one.
Have they said how many they'll accept....because I assume they can't take everyone. If you like it, take it immediately in case it 'fills up'.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Watching my father as I was growing up saying, "I wish I would have done........", taught me that I would take a different route. It's been a great ride, fortunately, I met someone early on that had the same philosophy as myself. I'll be 70 this year and my next problem is trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up.

So, about the boat, if it doesn't meet your needs, buy a bigger one.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I would do it in a heartbeat if I received 60% Pay + Full Benefits. Would you rather work 40 hours a week for the other 40%? I think you know this answer.

The only thing is, that boat in the picture is pretty small for the Baltic Sea. Look for something 2X that size. Personally I would be looking at Sailboats. You may have to sell your Havasu House just to pay for fuel on an Alaska to Mexico trip, lol.

Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to catch the sweet fruit!

JayBreww

Reaction score
I can tell you for sure that the first 'package' offered by any company in any industry that's in some distress like the airlines are now is always the best one.
Have they said how many they'll accept....because I assume they can't take everyone. If you like it, take it immediately in case it 'fills up'.

It’s the airline industry, why not just double book.

Sounds like a great opportunity, post a thread and tag us all along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
That's only a 35' long boat. Operating in the open ocean, sooner or later you're going to get your ass handed to you. A number of places come to mind; Northern and Central coasts of CA, coasts of OR and WA and the Gulfs of Tehuantepec MX and Papagayo CR just to name a few. 35' is not a prudent choice.

Diesel would be a preferable choice for your intended use.

Last edited:

DaveH

Reaction score
i would do it simply for the reason that you are young enough to enjoy something of this nature compared to doing it in the "golden years" of our lives.

this isnt all fun and play.....keeping the boat in working order, weather issues, just the general work involved in something of this nature is a young mans game.

traquer

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome time. I do agree you'd want a different boat. Sail boats aren't as comfortable or as cool but they're a lot safer and cheaper. You'd probably need a year of regular sailing before taking a big trip though.