WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opti-Coat / ceramic coatings - Is it worth it?

sintax

Reaction score
I'm still trying to decipher the BS from the truth on these coatings. I cant figure out if this stuff is actually worth it. I've read a few threads on here with obvious mixed info. Commercial vs Retail products, Professional vs Apply yourself.

I'm really only talking about Autos here

Its been a couple of years now, so I was looking for an updated sampling of the inmates.

Reason I ask is I just took delivery of a 2019 car, and figured now is the time to do it if I'm going to...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We had Opti-Coat Pro Plus installed on all of our vehicles and will continue to have it added on any future vehicle purchases. The ceramic coating sure makes cleaning the vehicle much easier.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
they're good for protection... but is it worth $100+? I toss some synthetic wax onto my cars once in a few weeks and I go over them with a quick detailing spray each wash. (after claybar, compound, polish or course...) the "ceramic coating" is more for those people that like to wash their car once a year IMO. if you wash with a good car soap it'll have some waxing agents in it, quick detailer, more wax protection... synthetic wax or carnuba... more protection. its all about keeping a layer between your paint and the elements. the more of that you have the less you'll have to go back into paint corrections and polishing.

if you want to do coating once in a while versus some upkeep each wash, whatever works for you!

30704477_10155714776989833_3711166515872780765_n.jpg

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
There are now several members boats and vehicles we have coated with great results. Hopefully they will chime in. . .

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There are now several members boats and vehicles we have coated with great results. Hopefully they will chime in. . .
Mine is coming down in the morning if I can get my ass up an hour earlier :D:D

sintax

Reaction score

So is there a big difference in products? Is it worth it going with something like Opti-Coat?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had my wife's black BMW ceramic coated - it needs all the help it can get from getting scratches that show. If you look at the car the wrong way it gets scratched. To me it makes a big difference, at least on a dark colored vehicle. My truck is white, I had it polished to remove 7 ½ years of scratches, it looks great, but I can't justify the cost of ceramic coating it. I clay bar and use Colinite twice a year and that seems to do the trick. Again, it's white so I scratches aren't as noticeable.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I had the entire transom & both motors, top to bottom, ceramic coated and it helped a TON. We run in salt & brackish water quite often and it absolutely helps the cleanup process, especially the cowlings. I'm diligent on cleaning even tho our Skater isnt showroom perfect like most DCB. It was well worth the $$ for me.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
If you are in NorCal & looking to get ceramic coating, Chad @ Precision Details did an amazing job on our boat.

40woodie

Reaction score
I had Detail Specialties do our truck and boat with ceramic coating. I think it's the best thing you can do, they did a great job and great service!
IMG_9594[1].jpg
IMG_9647[1].jpg

DLC

Reaction score
How does this work on a sxs especially a can am max? The plastic doesn’t get scratched as much.... does the dust come off easier ...

School me, please!

wzuber

Reaction score
they're good for protection... but is it worth $100+?
Is that all? The chevy stealership we just bought my wifes new black redline traverse from wanted $995.00. I laughed, ah..hell no. I caved at $200.00 I appreciate hearing the positive responses/results. It goes in next week for the int/ext. application.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Is that all? The chevy stealership we just bought my wifes new black redline traverse from wanted $995.00. I laughed, ah..hell no. I caved at $200.00 I appreciate hearing the positive responses/results. It goes in next week for the int/ext. application.

why would anyone go to the dealership to do ANYTHING other than warranty work? shop rates are high and detailing is nothing but hours... plus markup.

avalonking makes a coating for $70. adams is like $140. etc... the products themselves arent expensive, its all the hours for prep. it needs to be perfect and clean before application.

wzuber

Reaction score
Does the interior material have a strong smell? How long does it last? My wife is very sensitive to scents/smells and I'm concerned it will give her headaches or just be unpleasant and turn her off on the car.

wzuber

Reaction score
a
why would anyone go to the dealership to do ANYTHING other than warranty work? shop rates are high and detailing is nothing but hours... plus markup.
Agreed....Typically I avoid the stealership like an axe murderer but it was part of the purchase negotiations and after all the nego's I resolved on a black vehicle you can't have to much wax/paint protection and $200.00 seemed reasonable to me at the time. As you said the vehicle has to be perfect before application. With the price I agreed to I'm a little concerned as to exactly how well prep'd the vehicle will be. If he only receives the amount we agreed to I fear I'm in deep shit as he won't be making any $. If he gets a flat rate and the dealership makes up the rest from the veh. sale profit then he should be reasonably well motivated to do a good job.:eek: :rolleyes: What SHOULD he do in preparation for the final application? What is a correct standard protocol? Good wash obviously, clay bar? cleaner wax? what's the scoop?
If he doesn't prep it correctly what is the corrective procedure? Can the stuff be stripped w/o damaging the paint?

wzuber

Reaction score
avalonking makes a coating for $70. adams is like $140. etc... the products themselves arent expensive, its all the hours for prep. it needs to be perfect and clean before application.[/QUOTE]

Is it applied by hand just like a solid or liquid wax or is it a sprayed on liquid material? Is it applied to the glass too?

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
How does this work on a sxs especially a can am max? The plastic doesn’t get scratched as much.... does the dust come off easier ...

School me, please!
Yes! I coated my brand new RzR !

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score

avalonking makes a coating for $70. adams is like $140. etc... the products themselves arent expensive, its all the hours for prep. it needs to be perfect and clean before application.
We pay MUCH more for our product, but the prep for a boat or car is at least 8 hours also.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
a

Agreed....Typically I avoid the stealership like an axe murderer but it was part of the purchase negotiations and after all the nego's I resolved on a black vehicle you can't have to much wax/paint protection and $200.00 seemed reasonable to me at the time. As you said the vehicle has to be perfect before application. With the price I agreed to I'm a little concerned as to exactly how well prep'd the vehicle will be. If he only receives the amount we agreed to I fear I'm in deep shit as he won't be making any $. If he gets a flat rate and the dealership makes up the rest from the veh. sale profit then he should be reasonably well motivated to do a good job.:eek: :rolleyes: What SHOULD he do in preparation for the final application? What is a correct standard protocol? Good wash obviously, clay bar? cleaner wax? what's the scoop?
If he doesn't prep it correctly what is the corrective procedure? Can the stuff be stripped w/o damaging the paint?
I worked in the car business for years, they are selling a paint protectant with a warranty from a 3rd party. They will wash and apply period. We polish the entire car/ boat etc and remove all swirls etc. No boat or car has ever came to us perfect, in fact some "new" vehicles come with many, many paint problems. . . PREP WORK = $

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score

Is it applied by hand just like a solid or liquid wax or is it a sprayed on liquid material? Is it applied to the glass too?[/QUOTE]
No glass. Applied by hand. We only spray the SxS's

wzuber

Reaction score
Is it applied by hand just like a solid or liquid wax or is it a sprayed on liquid material? Is it applied to the glass too?
No glass. Applied by hand. We only spray the SxS's[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the replies S&L, I really appreciate it. Are you familiar with the interior products generally used in this process by chance?

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
No glass. Applied by hand. We only spray the SxS's
Thank you for the replies S&L, I really appreciate it. Are you familiar with the interior products generally used in this process by chance?[/QUOTE]

A little. They are mainly a barrier product and have great repelling properties. They also condition the interiors somewhat.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Here is my expierence to this point with these products. I wash my vehicles all the time personally. I have both black and white vehicles.

The actual product - I have used Detail Specialities and an place in OC to do a couple of cars. They both use IGL product exclusively. In all cases it is in prep and application.

I kind of think this is like garage from expoxy deal. You can do it a bunch of different ways with different products and well.., results may very.

DS took my 05 Black DMAX river truck and it looks better than when I took delivery (I got it 05 - 6 months old).

Cleaning the vehicles is way easier - you can use a foam cannon and not have to sponge. Frequency is not as much do to dirt not sticking. Here is the unknown- durability. Time - this is new. Will touch up be needed? Will Havasu water and constant boating breakdown coating on my g23? You can use hot sauce once in a while on gel if there are spots. Still lots of things I need to work through but here is the thing. It reduces the need to have pro detail / waxed on big items. On RVs and such I would not even hesitate. For the kind of $ invested in them.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Here is my expierence to this point with these products. I wash my vehicles all the time personally. I have both black and white vehicles.

The actual product - I have used Detail Specialities and an place in OC to do a couple of cars. They both use IGL product exclusively. In all cases it is in prep and application.

I kind of think this is like garage from expoxy deal. You can do it a bunch of different ways with different products and well.., results may very.

DS took my 05 Black DMAX river truck and it looks better than when I took delivery (I got it 05 - 6 months old).

Cleaning the vehicles is way easier - you can use a foam cannon and not have to sponge. Frequency is not as much do to dirt not sticking. Here is the unknown- durability. Time - this is new. Will touch up be needed? Will Havasu water and constant boating breakdown coating on my g23? You can use hot sauce once in a while on gel if there are spots. Still lots of things I need to work through but here is the thing. It reduces the need to have pro detail / waxed on big items. On RVs and such I would not even hesitate. For the kind of $ invested in them.
Thanks Sam, spot on (no pun intended LoL) analysis!