WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ordered a new Toy Hauler.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We had set out some time ago to buy a new Toy Hauler and most weren't any better than what we had and ours had the good suspension and build quality.

Flyingbowtie and other friends experienced serious suspension issues with their brands and with our past experiences with TH ownership we're aware of other potential mulligans to look for as well.
The Toy hauler we liked and almost bought had a bad quality rep so we decided to forget the idea.

But a few years back:

3 friends that had bought the one we liked weren't having issues. The company was bought out by Winnebago who immediately changed the construction on the entire line. New HD suspension, new stronger chassis, entirely different build methods and parts and frame. Upgraded everything from the AC to the appliances and windows.
Has everything else we wish our current TH had.

Shower with a seat so the girls can shave their legs and princess spot*, quiet, more powerful AC and heat, LED, a dozen other improvements and lots of kitchen storage.

After a few years, the old issues others we know experienced are gone and our 3 friends love theirs. They have lots of hard miles on them too.

We ordered with factory custom paint scheme, lighter interior color and premium fabric + Rockhard Fosdick sound system.
This is a 2019, we ordered the 202O with more upgrades standard like shower doors.

My rule of thumb is 40% off MSRP and we got about 38% off. Close enough, I wrote the check.

*PC description.

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Nice where’s your first trip going to be? Did you order or pick up off the lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Nice where’s your first trip going to be? Did you order or pick up off the lot?

Ordered, 12 weeks wait time, takes longer with the custom paint and sound system. The Rockford Fosgate has outside and inside subs and amps. Nicest factory installed system I've heard and at an excellent price.

First trip a shakedown run to the SLO Elks campground if it arrives in time.
Any issues I can head back to the dealer that's 15 minutes away.
Otherwise we're booked for a Marysvale Utah run with our Dumont group. If delivered in time.

Had to buy it up near Pismo. 5 star service dept and known for deep discounts. Encountered a few idiot lot donkeys but we navigated the purchase well.
Didn't want to go to Thompson's or Giant. 2 star service and customer horror stories with those morons. They know it and don't care.

Believe it or not, friends ordered theirs factory direct. They called the factory and their is a designated employee that will deal with you. No dealer lot donkey to deal with.
You then pick the dealer you want it delivered to. Dealer still gets their Vig so it's all good.

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
Congrats! The folks at Hitching Post are awesome. Make sure you catch a steak at Jocko's while you are in town.

We bought a GD 398M in late 2017 and have been very happy. Made the jump from a pusher and have never looked back. Love having a truck to go street legal exploring, bar hopping and the occasional meal out.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have been looking at the momentum and the fuzion. Leaning towards the fuzion right now. Hard to beat the quality of GD. But there’s a handful of things the fuzion does better (for us)

Love the new trailer.[emoji106]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Problems with all lines all makes of new TH purchases we’ve learned:

Tank fittings may get over-spun/cross-spun by the suppliers. Was real common last year causing issues like tanks leaking dry on a trip or not filling at all. The black tank you can imagine the side effects of that.

Also the Onan 5500 is shipped from Onan with low oil we're told. Plus the low oil cut off is set too low. Also the first hours you run the Onan it uses oil. Lots of oil.
So then the low oil cuts off the generator after a few hours, you refill it, then restart it and 45 minutes later the piston finishes grinding into the cylinder wall and it grenades.
Common to all TH mfgs. It's on Onan not them.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Congrats TPC

Anybody consider the new Outdoors RV Toy Haulers? Pricey but very well put together. If I can find a 27TRX I am going to try to trade out my current Outdoors RV Titanium trailer. Can't find them anywhere nationally. I don't want the 29 and nothing smaller than the 27.....

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I have been looking at the momentum and the fuzion. Leaning towards the fuzion right now. Hard to beat the quality of GD. But there’s a handful of things the fuzion does better (for us)

Love the new trailer.[emoji106]

Beware of the Dometic AC Billdo.
We thought it was just us but after a search the units are junk, replacement parts junk too. Also Bugs in the three wire digital controls they haven't worked out yet either. A thread all it's own. It's what kept us from other considering other lines.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Beware of the Dometic AC Billdo.
We thought it was just us but after a search the units are junk, replacement parts junk too. Also Bugs in the three wire digital controls they haven't worked out yet either. A thread all it's own. It's what kept us from other considering other lines.

Interesting. My current unit has dometic, no issues. The fuzion has Coleman Mach wife keeps flip flopping on the floorplan and trailer she wants.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
8AD34EF9-0C88-4DD2-AD1D-B797682B01E5.jpeg

Check out the jack ass rear doors in the metal frame:
05A516D1-202E-4359-A303-A27156300525.jpeg
1D17E88C-ADA2-4F08-AC80-82566BF344FB.jpeg
They told us 12 weeks came in in 4.
We’re up here now taking delivery.
Man o man did it come out nice.
The new black and silver paint really works.

Remember old telephone booths with the double foldable glass doors? Well I opened to back ramp and the back of the TH had those mounted in a 6” each side frame?
WTF?
The 101” wide garage opening is suddenly 89” with these clunky doors I don’t need nor ordered. Ridiculous.
“It mandatory, and it’s $500” they told me.
“I have a cashiers check and it stays in my folder until that contraption is gone and off the bill.”

Gawd I hate being that guy. Sometimes ya default to that guy.

It was so fucked up I didn’t even snap a pic, just get that shit off the unit. Like a doggy door.
So it’s all removed and left no scars and we’ll pick it up in the AM.

Wife went Horseback riding with her local GFs I went bar hopping. Her GFs have beautiful horse property with Llamas, goats, and hogs the size of Volkswagens.

The Solvang area rolls up at sundown.
I went to Fitzpatrick’s tavern. Beer and wine only and in most the other bars too.
“A liquor license is $250.000 in the Santa Ynez area” the owner told me.

Most the businesses that bought one soon went broke and the transfer sale is limited to the immediate area. So everyone just sells beer and wine.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
View attachment 770525
Check out the jack ass rear doors in the metal frame:
View attachment 770526 View attachment 770527 They told us 12 weeks came in in 4.
We’re up here now taking delivery.
Man o man did it come out nice.
The new black and silver paint really works.

Remember old telephone booths with the double foldable glass doors? Well I opened to back ramp and the back of the TH had those mounted in a 6” each side frame?
WTF?
The 101” wide garage opening is suddenly 89” with these clunky doors I don’t need nor ordered. Ridiculous.
“It mandatory, and it’s $500” they told me.
“I have a 6 figure cashiers check and it stays in my folder until that contraption is gone and off the bill.”

Gawd I hate being that guy. Sometimes ya default and I help my ground.

It was so fucked up I didn’t even snap a pic, just get that shit off the unit.
So it’s all removed and left no scars and we’ll pick it up in the AM.

Wife went Horseback riding with her local GFs I went bar hopping. Her GFs have beautiful horse property with Llamas, goats, and hogs the size of Volkswagens.

The Solvang area folds up at sundown.
I went to Fitzpatrick’s tavern. Beer and wine only and in most the other bars too.
“A liquor license is $250.000 in the Santa Ynez area” the owner told me.

Most the businesses that bought one soon went broke and the transfer sale is limited to the immediate area.

I had those doors on ours and hated them. Took a foot of space in length and width away from the garage. Pain in the ass to remove too.

Nice TH, looks like 16’+ garage?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I wonder if the metal frame and doors were built in as part of the structure...?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I wonder if the metal frame and doors were built in as part of the structure...?
No not at all. They were simply hung from the upper bulkhead. No load bearing.
That was our concern as well as sealing the ramp.
They just screwed it in ramp still seals on the back of the rig.

Reactions: t&y

yz450mm

Reaction score
So, what do you think so far? I love my Voltage, but the 11 foot garage is starting to get a little bit annoying. My stuff fits, but without room to spare. I'm probably looking to trade this in in a couple years, and those Momentum's look pretty damn nice. Do you feel it's worth the extra cost?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Color wheel allows accent lights to be any color inside and out.
BA817E5B-BD8C-4EA9-964B-94F53256D78E.jpeg
B1D6DA3D-705E-4E13-9445-550A5DB53EA1.jpeg

I took a hotel room near by and spent a couple days getting the trailer dialed in with the dealer.
Two old jaspers were put on it and they were excellent to work with.

They are real old school and didn’t like the digital main control panel idea that is on most all Winnebago vehicles today.
All your accessories and features have back up manual control so really no BFD if it pukes.

Winnebago seems to always survive bad times so they’ll be around if the controllers go south.

So now it’s in the RV spot at home and we’re transferring items from our other Toy Hauler. Only about 1/3 are making the cut. Man did we have more clothes, tools and other redundant stuff we didn’t need.

Rubber lining all the shelves is time consuming but the way to roll. The slightly sticky back stuff works, the non stick sux and is useless. Shelves on this unit are much lower no need for a step stool and 4X more of them.

You can barely hear the AC and we can run all 3 simultaneously. Properly air balanced we get excellent air flow too. Every air outlet (register) blows strong. The heat too.

The noisy weak AC on past models has been a complaint from all the girls and our friends girls with their RVs too.
We checked out the Dometic Quiet system and it’s much weaker and noisier than the Coleman Stealth. And ya can’t run all three like you can with the Coleman.

Still a bit more packing to do then it’s off to Marysvale Utah for trail exploring with friends.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
So, what do you think so far? I love my Voltage, but the 11 foot garage is starting to get a little bit annoying. My stuff fits, but without room to spare. I'm probably looking to trade this in in a couple years, and those Momentum's look pretty damn nice. Do you feel it's worth the extra cost?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah the fit and finish and the features far better than anything we've ever owned.
Almost 200 gallons of water capacity, dunno if we'll need that but I ordered it anyway.
All my tools, Can Am, small generator and the little kids rides fit in the 18" garage neatly with room to get around.

They put the spare tire mid unit so it won't scrape and the spare is 14 ply steel too. Evidently a spare is new since Winnebago took over. They really thought it through.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Color wheel allows accent lights to be any color inside and out.
View attachment 772405 View attachment 772406

I took a hotel room near by and spent a couple days getting the trailer dialed in with the dealer.
Two old jaspers were put on it and they were excellent to work with.

They are real old school and didn’t like the digital main control panel idea that is on most all Winnebago vehicles today.
All your accessories and features have back up manual control so really no BFD if it pukes.

Winnebago seems to always survive bad times so they’ll be around if the controllers go south.

So now it’s in the RV spot at home and we’re transferring items from our other Toy Hauler. Only about 1/3 are making the cut. Man did we have more clothes, tools and other redundant stuff we didn’t need.

Rubber lining all the shelves is time consuming but the way to roll. The slightly sticky back stuff works, the non stick sux and is useless. Shelves on this unit are much lower no need for a step stool and 4X more of them.

You can barely hear the AC and we can run all 3 simultaneously. Properly air balanced we get excellent air flow too. Every air outlet (register) blows strong. The heat too.

The noisy weak AC on past models has been a complaint from all the girls and our friends girls with their RVs too.
We checked out the Dometic Quiet system and it’s much weaker and noisier than the Coleman Stealth. And ya can’t run all three like you can with the Coleman.

Still a bit more packing to do then it’s off to Marysvale Utah for trail exploring with friends.
Nice Rig TPC! The GD are nice units, I wish we carried them sometimes but you have to carry the whole line and we would struggle to carry the TT lines. The coleman AC's are gangster and it is nice to see other companies using them to their advantage to run all 3 AC's at the same time. I actually didnt know on my 2018 40' genesis i could run all 3 at the same time until my daughter accidentaly turned it on at the dunes a few months ago lol.