WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ordering a Welder, Do I need this option?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Need advise.
I'm ordering this welding rig:
http://store.cyberweld.com/mil175witecc.html
Is the spoolmatic gun worth purchasing, or will it probably just be a waste of $$ and sit in a drawer unused?

And what size/type wires should I order and keep on hand?
I'll be welding trailer shock mounts, trailer frame, general garage family toy kinda stuff.

Thanks for the takes.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would like to know this too. I am looking at the same setup.

atomickitn

Time for a Change
Reaction score
yes get the spool gun ...if you plan on welding any aluminium...I wish I would have got that when I bought mine new...

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Need advise.
I'm ordering this welding rig:
http://store.cyberweld.com/mil175witecc.html
Is the spoolmatic gun worth purchasing, or will it probably just be a waste of $$ and sit in a drawer unused?

And what size/type wires should I order and keep on hand?
I'll be welding trailer shock mounts, trailer frame, general garage family toy kinda stuff.

Thanks for the takes.

No, its not what you need, the spool works well for aluminum, as the wire speed has to be very fast to weld and trying to push aluminum wire through the 12-15 ft hose if very difficult, it binds and "birds nests" at the rollers of the welder, the spool gun pushes the wire out about an inch, and this makes it a very good aluminum welder for that, otherwise if your not going to weld aluminum (and not anything precision), dont wast your money, its a pain in the ass for metal, too bulky, and gets in the way.:beer

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No, its not what you need, the spool works well for aluminum, as the wire speed has to be very fast to weld and trying to push aluminum wire through the 12-15 ft hose if very difficult, it binds and "birds nests" at the rollers of the welder, the spool gun pushes the wire out about an inch, and this makes it a very good aluminum welder for that, otherwise if your not going to weld aluminum (and not anything precision), dont wast your money, its a pain in the ass for metal, too bulky, and gets in the way.:beer

It's in addition to the reg set-up.
Ya just use the spoolgun when ya need it, otherwise the usual set-up.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If you plan on welding structural aluminum get this option, otherwise don't worry about it. Like baja said aluminum wire is very soft and can't be pushed through 12 feet of torch lead. it's probably worth it for 185 bucks, the spool gun for my older miller Mig welder is more like $700, but i have a Tig machine to so i just do all my aluminum welding with torch and rod, it comes out purtier that way anyway.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I'd say negative on the spool gun. As far as the wire size get a few different sizes. heres a picture of my little set up. I got the 110 setup so I could throw it in the trailer and take it with me "run off smaller generator". It penetrates fairly well but runs out of steam on thick steel (1/2"+). all in all I use it for real general type stuff and it does the job just fine.

Attachments

• weldingcart4.jpg
    weldingcart4.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 98

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks for the takes.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'd say negative on the spool gun. As far as the wire size get a few different sizes. heres a picture of my little set up. I got the 110 setup so I could throw it in the trailer and take it with me "run off smaller generator". It penetrates fairly well but runs out of steam on thick steel (1/2"+). all in all I use it for real general type stuff and it does the job just fine.

They make a cool dual voltage unit, but it lacks the really cool options like auto set, tip saver and smooth start, and a few other things.

whiteworks

Reaction score
They make a cool dual voltage unit, but it lacks the really cool options like auto set, tip saver and smooth start, and a few other things.

most of that stuff is over rated IMO I just need it to stick metal together no more no less. at some point I would love to get a bitchen TIG setup with all the bells and whistles, but for now the little red box is adequate:)

Sherpa

Reaction score
welding aluminum requires another type of gas (argon) so there's some
more money... unless you really** think you'll use the spoolgun, it will
most likely sit in the box it came in.......... mine has.

--Sherpa

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
welding aluminum requires another type of gas (argon) so there's some
more money... unless you really** think you'll use the spoolgun, it will
most likely sit in the box it came in.......... mine has.

--Sherpa

I'm ordering the argon/co2 mix that should be a good general use gas right?

I'm a stick welder,, mig is all new to this kid.

whiteworks

Reaction score
I'm ordering the argon/co2 mix that should be a good general use gas right?

I'm a stick welder,, mig is all new to this kid.

thats the stuff, gas sheilded is really cool. if you can avoid welding in any type of breeze it will greatly improve the quality of weld.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Appreciate all the advise and tips.
Gonna be no living with me now. Got lotsa projects lined up.