WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Original Gale Banks turbo 4 bolt 454 block

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I have an engine block that was upgraded when a new engine was built. This one is a 1977 casting, 4 bolt block that was detailed at Gale Banks about the time I worked there. It was cut for O-ring wire which has since been replaced with copper wire and surfaced to run with modern MLS or other head gaskets. The intake valley was completely detailed for better oil return. Current bore size is 4.280" (.030" over stock 454). I believe it will clean at .035" over if you wanted to have pistons made, or certainly it could be bored to .060" over (4.310). No visible damage, the engine did not ever fail. Do note there are some helicoils in the head surface of the block. $500 to be picked up in Parker, AZ.

I do have a couple of other blocks I may let go, including a standard bore GM tall deck block that has one sleeve installed by Gritch prior to his passing.
IMG_20210215_094832_116[1].jpg

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Would this be a good platform to add an 8-71 blower?

I’m trying to do my research on building a motor for a jet boat.

I seen some of your postings on other sites.

Would love to pick your brain and maybe talk about this build with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I have an engine block that was upgraded when a new engine was built. This one is a 1977 casting, 4 bolt block that was detailed at Gale Banks about the time I worked there. It was cut for O-ring wire which has since been replaced with copper wire and surfaced to run with modern MLS or other head gaskets. The intake valley was completely detailed for better oil return. Current bore size is 4.280" (.030" over stock 454). I believe it will clean at .035" over if you wanted to have pistons made, or certainly it could be bored to .060" over (4.310). No visible damage, the engine did not ever fail. Do note there are some helicoils in the head surface of the block. $500 to be picked up in Parker, AZ.

I do have a couple of other blocks I may let go, including a standard bore GM tall deck block that has one sleeve installed by Gritch prior to his passing.
View attachment 973119

I’ll be in fort Mohave on Wednesday. Can swing by Parker.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I’ll be in fort Mohave on Wednesday. Can swing by Parker.

We can talk about it on the phone ahead of time, do you already know your goals as far as horsepower, fuel type, rpm range and budget? I have some nice parts that are specifically for a 509 cubic inch blown short block, but I would probably prefer to build that for someone as opposed to just selling the parts

Hammer

Reaction score
Barry,

Do you still have this block? I’m interested