WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Osprey Grocery Shopping

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
It's been fun to watch an Osprey couple take care of this years new-borns.
They go shopping for fish in the wetlands . . . bring 'em back and eat them on top of a light pole, take a shit, then bring a belly full back to the nest to feed the chicks.
Hot Tip: Don't park under the light pole.
DSC07992.JPG

C-2

Reaction score
We have a set of Red Tails that return every year and hatch babies. The tree is in my neighbor's yard and she lost it when she found her Chihuahua's collar at the base of the tree...so she called a wildlife biologist. He pulled a permit, observed the hawk family for about a week and then removed one of the babies and told the neighbor the hawks would never nest there again.

That was 5-years ago and they have returned every year!

I like when the babies become juveniles and test their wings, flying into trees and buildings, clumsy as can be.

Thanks for sharing

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
That's super cool.
This shot was taken down at the Huntington Harbor Launch Ramp which backs up to the Naval Weapons nature reserve area.
It's super easy to walk in w/o paying, just park at the Sheriffs office. It's at the very end of Edinger Street where it dead ends.
Look at the top of the power poles and you'll see the nest, they use various light poles in the parking lot to eat . . . or just look for the one with the most 'white' under it. ;)
So Cal Edison comes in once in a while and removes the nests when they start causing problems . . . but they usually wait till the chicks have left the nest.
Mornings are usually best . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
Dang, that's way cool, I'm familiar with that area of HB, will have to check it out!