WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Our Desktop PC Puked. Any recommendation for a replacement?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Hard drive grenaded. Time for SSD anyway.
Any takes?
Where and what, thanks.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Work or home?

For work Dell has good deals on Optiplex systems with SSD drives.

Dell has home systems as well and you can find them with SSDs as well.

Dell allows you to customize some options but typically it’s pretty limited.

Reactions: TPC

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Any takes?
Where and what, thanks.

Can you replace the Hard Drive instead of the whole machine?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
That’s what Maynard wants to do but this thing is over 15 years old maybe just get new.

15 years! As Joe said, definitely go new!

Costco options: https://www.costco.com/desktops-ser...-os&refine=||Operating_System_attr-Windows+OS

sintax

Reaction score
yea, dont even bother with that old one. Just drill a few holes in the HDD platters to destroy it and drop it off at your next electronics cleanup

As far as new computers go, ANYTHING will be lightyears ahead of where you're at. Even a $300 no-name thing.

So i'm not against Microcenter, but you do gotta be kinda careful and know what you're getting. They'll sometimes sell business lease returns, so you end up getting a 2 year old machine, which isnt horrible, but its good to know that.

something like that might not be bad, I'd want to shop around a bit though and see what deals are out there. I'd rather see it around $650, personally. Has room to bump it to 32gb of ram, modern enough (Q2 of 22) cpu, onboard graphics / bluetooth / wifi.

We used to have good luck with those small form factor optiplex's

I don know how hard up you are, if you have other machines, maybe wait and setup a few deal alerts on SlickDeals.com (thats what i'd do)

Taboma

Reaction score
I like the HP much better than a Dell.
Had a nice HP Envy Desktop for about 5 years. Been an excellent computer for doing some light video and normal home use. Certainly even with the smallish 256 meg SSD it fires up really fast compared to my ancient Lenovo it replaced. 2TB Hard drive, but I'm ready to upgrade to more power baby.
Eyeballing Dells because I can still get a DVD/CD burner (Seems like HP dropped them), and with Dell I can get 1TB of SSD + 2TB hard drive. I don't put shit on any clouds or any servers outside this house. New dell XPS pretty well loaded up for around $ 2K.
I'm absolutely no geek type, so open to learning. But I do want to explore better video editing and that's where this current machine starts bogging down.

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Any takes?
Where and what, thanks.

Let Maynard build it, for the price, you'll be a decade ahead in future-proofing.

It's literally like building an Erector Set or Lego Assembly. It's almost completely plug and play, just have to have a boot drive or the win 10/11 disc in the media drive.

NewEgg has a entire walkthrough, from helping you build it, to assembly and install. It would be fun for you and him to do it! For the 2-3k for something decent from Dell/Alienware you can get 3-10x your value building it yourself.

My 2c.

If you'd like specifics, PM me, I'd be happy to help!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
If you’re looking for something that will run Win 11 (if not now if you prefer win 10 for a little longer), be sure to buy smart if your not buying from the big makes. If you buy the wrong CPU or motherboard you won’t be supported for Win 11. Video card can matter too.

If you’re doing video editing you’re going to want to pick a robust model that the editing software can leverage to speed up the process. Along with that a lot of ram, 32GB would be good, and you definitely want a large SSD that if it’s not the storage for the video files can at least be used as a scratch disk for the editing software.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Don't listen to Joe... Buy a MacBook Pro M2... Be a man...

Wife confiscated mine, had Maynard wipe it and gave it to a hospitalized neighbor child with a long, slow moving terminal cancer.

Good part is a new chemo arrived and saved the child.
It was brutal, an amazing story. Backed that child outta hell just in time.

So I bought a cheap-o WalMart and wife bagged that one two.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, tales and takes.