WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Our vast wasteland just got bigger

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
D3DBCE20-93E7-46E8-AD19-501B806F477F.jpeg
”That vast wasteland called television” - Philo T. Farnsworth, first practical TV inventor (Philco).

COSTCO has the top O’ the line 65” Samsung’s for $1399.
I asked the TV girl what made it tops and cost a few bucks more and she said “all the others offer millions of colors, this offers billions of colors and a 240 motion rate”.
Ok I bit. Takes the place of our living room 50” that just tapped out.

The excellent warranty is free. In the past rather than fix TVs and appliances friends say the COSTCO manager just tells you to “go get another one of or close to equal value and we'll swap it out free.”
We also have the LG equivalent in the bedroom that I think is under $1K now.
Close in comparison. Hard to see any difference, if any.

Back to the Samsung.
Damn, ya just plug them in and they communicate wireless with everything. No rats nests of wiring anymore. Type in a few passwords and good to go with the Bluetooth, Genie box, surround sound, wifi. Look mom, no wires!
Also has the Bill Bixby talk-to-it-and-it-does-what-ya-tell-it-to feature. Not for me though.

One feature I had to turn off was the auto-magic brightness dimming. Close the blinds and the picture dims.
Sucked. About 4 steps on the 6 button only remote and I turned that off. Ya seem to lose color and detail in that mode. The idea is less energy draw, not some nice viewing feature for the customer I suspect.

I wanted the 70” or 75” but wouldn’t fit in the TV alcove.

4K is fantastic. Many Netflix originals are 4K and damn it’s excellent.
Wife likes Hummingbirds of the Mojave and med shows where the guy gets his balls shrunk in a stainless steel vise kinda documentaries and the fine detail and colors of those tiny birds comes through.

Far different than the 14” Sony Trinitron
I bought in 1974. It was bad ass back then.

TVs at COSTCO go on sale Jan 13 but they’ll give you the lower price now. Return with your receipt and they'll kick back the difference.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We had a two month long running shit show with Direct TV.
I was tipped off that if you keep calling your calls will eventually be redirected to their Texas customer service before they even answer.
Seems that’s what finally happened about 9 calls in and someone finally listened and acted.

A service guy showed up at the door and went through the entire system from the dish on the roof to replacing all the Genie boxes.
All free. Not really if you have the extra cost service plan like we do.

Ok,,,, now we’re getting packages in the mail daily of new Direct TV equipment. Receivers, remotes, wiring and something we have no clue what it is.

So then we get the notices to return the old equipment or be billed for it. The stuff the service guy took with him.

So we are now dealing with that and our calls have defaulted back to India.
Yes Mr Ross, I am honored and proud to offer you 4K for a 24 month contract commitment.”
"What programs on Direct are in 4K?" I ask.
"None Mr Ross" is the answer.

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
One of Stacy's relatives manages a Costco.. He told me they have an 85 inch 4K TV in there now for 1500 bucks!!

RD

Really? I want the Sony 85 inch but its $5k. I'll check this out. My current 65 is old now.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
One of Stacy's relatives manages a Costco.. He told me they have an 85 inch 4K TV in there now for 1500 bucks!!

RD
If it's the one they had on display it's fantastic.
Didn't check the price but it was running a 4K movie.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Really? I want the Sony 85 inch but its $5k. I'll check this out. My current 65 is old now.

I’d roll with Sony but like Honda their lines are always more expensive and by a significant amount. Rarely see Sony at Costco anymore. It’s become rare to see them anyplace.
They sure are nice. Standouts.

Sony bitches their sales and profits are down and I get the impression it’s because they won’t compete in the marketplace.

I had the Sony WEGA HD like RDs dad had. It was the first non-glass tube HD and had amazing clarity and colors. It was pre 1080p and like RD bitched about had a high velocity fan that ran most the time.
Finally tapped out and the replacement bulb that died because the fan puked was expensive, not worth fixing.

Sony releases their products in 3 stages.
First the product is an OK version, then 6 months later a better version, then 6 month more pass and the full deluxe version gets released. They sand bag the whole time holding back.

20414667.gif

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I've been watching the Sony for awhile. The price was $10k last year, so they've come down in price at $5k. I don't want to spend $5k when I can get similar for $1950 at Costco. I think my current 65 inch was bought in 2011, so its old. Its a Mitsubishi, bought cheap because they got out of the consumer electronics market. I want 4k and a few other options. Plus its time too go up in size. I like the big screen for UFC and boxing.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’ll stick to my 75” UHD until OLED technology in this size class gets more affordable.

I refuse to pay thousands of dollars for something that will be $999 in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I bought Sony’s top of the line 65” Bravia 2 years ago and I’ll be honest, I should have taken it back. The picture quality is not what I think it should be for a TV that was $3K and overall I just haven’t been happy with the TV.

I moved the Sony to my bedroom a couple months ago and replaced it with Samsung’s top of the line 75” QLED TV and all I can say is Damn! The picture is amazing and it was worth every penny of the $3700 price tag that it came with. Best Buy has the Samsung for $3300 right now.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202116.p?skuId=6202116

A friend of mine recently bought the Samsung Q6 series at Costco for $2300. The model I have is a Q8 and I personally can’t tell much of a difference between the two. I’m in the process of finishing my basement and will be putting an 82” Q6 in my man cave room.

My only gripe with Samsung is that they’re not using Android as the OS. Several Apps that I use are not supported under the Samsung App and I have to use an android box. My Sony is running Android and I’ve installed the apps directly to the TV which is pretty sweet if you’re a heavy Kodi or Morpheus user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
How do you fit a tv that size in your 5th wheel ? Your never home ! Lol