WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

out of state truck purchase

707dog

Reaction score
i know iv seen it talked about before and it had the info someone posted but couldn't find the thread. i found a couple trucks i am interested in that are outside of california at the right price and still haggling them i know my local credit union won't do a out of state loan but i was thinking of using gm finance to purchase the truck in said state then refi with my credit union what will be my hang up bringing it to cali? i know dmv will be a murder show but still seems cheaper out of state even after paying said taxes... anyone done this yet in california

Cdog

Reaction score
I have only done it without financing. Best guess is go through a credit union like Pen Fed. Cheap rates and they send the check to the dealer.

Sherpa

Reaction score
if new vehicle no big deal........ you won't pay sales tax in the state you buy it......

you pay sales tax at the calif dmv when you reg it here........

for a pickup truck, you'll have to go have it weighed and bring the official weight tag with you to dmv.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’ve done it in Texas but not CA.
I’d imagine it would be similar?

I will say that a few folks I know got “auto loans” that were unsecured (the vehicle wasn’t collateral), so basically it’s like a personal line of credit. If you go that route, the money is deposited into your account and you can buy whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Minimatt

Reaction score
When I did it a few years ago, I had to have the VIN verified (they needed to see the VIN both on the frame and the body), in addition to the certified weight ticket somebody mentioned. And of course have it emissions tested. Otherwise it wasn't really any more difficult than anything at the DMV usually is...

FishSniper

Reaction score
i know iv seen it talked about before and it had the info someone posted but couldn't find the thread. i found a couple trucks i am interested in that are outside of california at the right price and still haggling them i know my local credit union won't do a out of state loan but i was thinking of using gm finance to purchase the truck in said state then refi with my credit union what will be my hang up bringing it to cali? i know dmv will be a murder show but still seems cheaper out of state even after paying said taxes... anyone done this yet in california
I bought a truck that was registered in Colorado and registered in CA. You will need to smog it. get a vin verification and get a weight certificate before registering it. Whatever you do make sure that when going to register it at DMV you put the date you brought it into CA within ten days of going to DMV or else they try to charge you “ late fees”.

1cole280S

Reaction score
we have purchased out of state twice this year. both times same story, finance there get the vehicle home and refi with our local credit union within 30 days and not make a payment to the original finance company. It is a lot of extra paper work but it is worth it to get exactly what you are looking for at the price you are willing to pay.....
good luck with your new purchase!

707dog

Reaction score
If buying from a non-CARB compliant state the vehicle has to have at least 7500 miles on it to bring it into California.
yikes does that apply to brand new also?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Not at Dave Smith in Idaho
They have it dialed in
They sell Chevy and Ram new, even have some low mileage Fords
Everything you need for Ca. is complete when you arrive

When it’s time for me to buy that’s where I’m going .

PlanB

Reaction score

The Sticker Only Applies to New, Not Used Vehicles

California Health and Safety Code §§43150-43156 states that no new vehicle shall be registered in California unless it is certified pursuant to this (California emissions) chapter. A new vehicle is a vehicle with 7,500 miles or less and less than two years of age. Cal. Health & Safety Code §43156(a).

The code is silent on vehicles with more than 7,500 miles. Per theCalifornia Air Resource Board's website, "'Used' vehicles . . . can generally be registered in California as long as they are in compliance with US EPA (Federal) emissions standards."

This is one source I found. You can search and find more references, but this has come up more than a few times on a motorcycle forum I am on.

PlanB

Reaction score
They have it dialed in

They are most likely a CARB compliant dealer. I know there is a Harley dealer in Nevada that only sells CARB compliant motorcycles so they can sell to California buyers.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I bought my Raptor in Montana and I confirmed ahead of time that the Raptors delivered to there had the CA Emissions compliance sticker under the hood so I could bring it directly into Kalifornia.

Once in Kali, I had to have it weighed, smogged and took all the paperwork to DMV where I had to shut my brain off so I could have patience with the "workers" there.

Here's a post from the Ford Raptor Forum that may help you...

All the 2017 Raptor's have the CA Emissions sticker under the hood no matter how it was ordered, don't worry about the window stick or the Certificate of Origin.

CA DMV only requires that it has the CA Emissions sticker under hood.

You will need to weight your truck, smog it and pay the fee's at the CA DMV.

That's all there is to it, I bought mine out of state and registered here in CA, no big deal and will save you thousands!

If you need any help PM me.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? (FFVR 29)

The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.

Check the Label
To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Exemptions
There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

emissions label.
Attached Files:

Link to above and more in thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/california-emissions.53566/

707dog

Reaction score
They have it dialed in

the dealership im checking out is in idaho too ill check out dave smith right now

Tank

Reaction score
Is this for a new vehicle? For what it's worth, if you can figure out the financing part, registering it in Ca isn't all that difficult, just have to jump through a couple hoops. I bought a used duramax from Andy (here on the boards). Truck had at one time been registered in Ca. but was registered in Az at time of purchase. My credit Union would not fund loan unless it was registered in Ca. So, I had my son-in-law give Andy the cash in Havasu and then I brought it to Ca. I had to get it smogged, have a vin verification done and then took it to AAA and registered it where I did pay Ca sales tax and registration fees (about 1700 out the door). I would have had to get the truck weighed and certified but because it had one time been registered in Ca. I did not need to. The weight was still on record. So if the one you're planning on buying has never been reg'd in Ca. plan on getting it certified for weight too.

boatpi

Reaction score
It Hass to be 50 state emission compliant or you have to wait one year. That’s a lot of dealers giving deals I don’t know why I have to go out of state competition is really big in California.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
My buddy was working a deal with a motorcycle dealer in Seattle to trade a couple of museum quality vintage dirt bikes for a Yamaha T7. The deal went bust when he found out that he couldn't get the motorcycle in CA until it had the 7200 miles on it.

samsah33

Reaction score
Bought brand new in UT a couple years ago and brought back to CA, had to have it smogged, pay sales tax, VIN verification, etc... Biggest hassle was that I had to have the dealer fedex the Certificate of Manufactur directly to my local DMV on the day I had an appointment because the truck was brand new and had never been titled.

Sherpa

Reaction score
My Dodge Ram is from DS in Kellogg.

you don’t pay sales tax there.

back in calif you get it weighed, and they verify the truck at the dmv. You pay sales tax to dmv

rrrr

Reaction score
I’ve done it in Texas but not CA.
I’d imagine it would be similar?

The difference is that in Texas, you get a $45 vehicle inspection with no smog test, and then you go to the county tax assessor's office. There's no line, so you walk right up to the registration counter. You pay 6.25% sales tax and a $92 registration fee, the nice lady hands you the license plates, and when you go outside the birds are singing.

In California, your problems start the moment you cross the state line, and it only gets worse.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The difference is that in Texas, you get a $45 vehicle inspection with no smog test, and then you go to the county tax assessor's office. There's no line, so you walk right up to the registration counter. You pay 6.25% sales tax and a $92 registration fee, the nice lady hands you the license plates, and when you go outside the birds are singing.

In California, your problems start the moment you cross the state line, and it only gets worse.

[emoji106]

Slightly different for the sales tax part, I think it may have changed somewhat recently.

The dealer in a Michigan collected their state taxes. I presented the docs to my TX tax assessor office. They said they would collect the tax from MI. If there was a difference, I would get either a refund or I would owe.

The selling dealer said that’s how it’s done. So slide the TX assessor...it seemed fishy to me so I checked before I completed the purchase.

Was super easy. Most dealerships should be well-versed in selling cars across state lines, methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro