WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outboard Help needed- How long should this be?

Water Romper

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Quick question, This is a 1995 200 Blk Max, I replaced the impeller and gaskets etc, However, I notice this black hose is only about 5-6 inches long, is this acceptable or should it be 12-15 inches or even longer? I think its a water cooling hose? or? Thanks

hose.jpg

Last edited:

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about that motor but I’m going to take a stab at this and say it’s the pickup for a non-gps speedo?

Cooling water should be moving through that white tube to the left of the photo right.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about that motor but I’m going to take a stab at this and say it’s the pickup for a non-gps speedo?

Cooling water should be moving through that white tube to the left of the photo right.
Its for a speedo? it looks just a simple hose, when I go to the ever-so popular You Tube videos and search Impeller Replacement, they dont mention this hose at all but theirs seem to be quite a bit longer...

Water Romper

Reaction score
RDP Strikes again, YES, its for the speedo. Mines a piece of crap, not even hooked up at least I now know what it is. I don't need a speedo right now anyway. Thanks for the info and piece of mind.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I have an Alpha drive and I imagine my pickup is similiar. It's on the top of my mind as a prepare for an impeller replacement along with fresh drive oil.

My speedo developed a slow drip and I currently have the line pinched at the transom (quick fix on the water). I don't know how fast I'm going but I also dont really care haha

azsunfun

Reaction score
throwing this out to those that know, can he put pitot pickup and and forget that pickup? plug it?

TimeBandit

Reaction score
It's a speedo pickup.

I never used mine. It is bent back in half and tied to itself with a tie-wrap.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
throwing this out to those that know, can he put pitot pickup and and forget that pickup? plug it?
What’s the best practice for removing/plugging it?
Its not a sealed portion of the lower. The top is open where the shift shaft enters through the mid. The tube on mine is just not on the fitting anymore. Never been an issue.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Its not a sealed portion of the lower. The top is open where the shift shaft enters through the mid. The tube on mine is just not on the fitting anymore. Never been an issue.
Yes, Thank you. Its funny, on a previous 150 BM, when I replaced the impeller , the "speedo" was hooked up, black hose (looks like a vacuum line) ran the length of the lower, out the top and so on I guess I didn't realize it was connected correct. So when I saw this one, I panicked, looked short and bent, appears a deliberate "kink" Knowing its just for the speedo and if its hooked up or not makes no difference. Thanks again

Water Romper

Reaction score
more like a 200.
YES- I stand corrected it is a 200. The serial comes back as a 2.5 The story goes, this was a outboard JET, the previous owner had it converted to a prop, not sure if that makes any difference but this motor runs considerably faster than my old 1992 150 that was on a Carrera- similar hull as the Hallett.

pcrussell50

Reaction score
It's a speedo pickup.

I never used mine. It is bent back in half and tied to itself with a tie-wrap.

I have the same motor as the OP on our family/recreation boat.

I "use" mine. Well, not really. I use a GPS. But I keep mine hooked up anyway because it's easy, and it provides another reference to compare against GPS. Also, I have an old skool paddle wheel on the transom, from an old skool SONAR that uses the paddle wheel for speed and distance. I compare that to GPS too.

For reference, the speedo pickup is pretty close to the GPS, when planing. The paddle wheel on the SONAR reads higher than the GPS or the motor speedo when planing.

-Peter