WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outboard hydraulic steering

wcms_nick

Reaction score
Putting a 250 4 stroke on a schiada RT. The regular seastar tele flex 1.7 is good enough? Or should i go to the seastar pro from telelflex?

gkelly

Reaction score
The bass boat guys are running the same 250 hp motor yet using the standard seastar hydraulic steering. Those boats are exceeding the max recommended 60 mph by quite a bit. It seems like there is some room for interpretation to the specs. Maybe someone will have some real world experience to add to the discussion.

Fuzzbutt

Reaction score
Everyone I've spoke to about the hydraulic steering said stay away. Go with a dual cable with a NFB hub.

Reaction score
Please tell me you are kidding me...I have raced hydraulic steering for years it is very good now days. Sea Star has the pro ram and will keep up with the way I drive. It is cheap and it works better for me than some of the more custom name steering systems.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Hydraulic over cable any day. In fact with a 250 id be looking at a Latham Marine system with a side mount cylinder kit with real clevis joints and a plate on the rear of the engine. That's just me though. Nothing is more critical on the boat than steering imo. Look at Raceys rudder thread. My boat has dual quad ram steering set ups. Im just saying, a professionally rigged high performance boat wont have a steering cable.

Flame on.............

Sent from the mother f____ing Droid.

Fuzzbutt

Reaction score
I guess they have solved the issues with drift in the consumer level stuff.

I was looking into it for my boat but so far all the shops around me discourage putting it on with my little mid 50's speed cvx16.

wcms_nick

Reaction score
Just ordered the sea star. All the bass boats come rigged with hydraulic from the factory and they are going faster than I will be going. Thanks for the input.

jarrettolson

Reaction score
cables suck, especially if you have a jack plate everything gets out of perfect alignment when you way jacked up hauling azz and turning is difficult.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
I have the IMCO hydraulic steering and it works great on my Cyclone. I know of a few others out there using it as well and they love it. It is as good as the Latham stuff but not as expensive. Its has a nice side plate mount that works great.

GregG

Reaction score
What helm do you use with the IMCO?

Sleestak1

Reaction score
Please tell me you are kidding me...I have raced hydraulic steering for years it is very good now days. Sea Star has the pro ram and will keep up with the way I drive. It is cheap and it works better for me than some of the more custom name steering systems.

I run the Baystar hydraulic system, this is the system for 150hp or less. I have this on my 16ft Hondo with a 115 inline 6 merc that I race in a class called C.O.R. 100 and it works great. I will be putting the Sea Star system on a Sleekcraft SST I'm building to run C.O.R 2.0 class.

Attachments

• 2088_001websml.jpg
    2088_001websml.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 2089_002websml.jpg
    2089_002websml.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 239

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am interested in learning more about the IMCO stuff as well.

I ran the BayStar on my old 10' Schiada, and loved it.. but the helm was so.... plastic.. LOL

RD

Faceaz

Reaction score
I run the Baystar hydraulic system, this is the system for 150hp or less. I have this on my 16ft Hondo with a 115 inline 6 merc that I race in a class called C.O.R. 100 and it works great. I will be putting the Sea Star system on a Sleekcraft SST I'm building to run C.O.R 2.0 class.

That's a great looking boat.

I personally like a 2 cable NFB system. I have a Seastar Hydraulic on our 23' daytona, works good but I really like the NFB.

Sleestak1

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with NFB. I have dual cable setup on my Hallett and when I get the motor up high on the Jack Plate it gets hard to steer. I'll be going SeaStar on the Hallett soon.

Faceaz

Reaction score
I wonder if there's something wrong with our Seastar? It gets hard to steer when it's trimmed out, just like a dual cable. Also there's a very small amount of slip, when trimmed & the pressure is on it, I have to very slowly turn the wheel to keep it straight.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
IMCO is coming out with a brand new electrically driven hyrdaulic system that looks absolutely bitchin for outboards, i was down at their shop earlier this week checking it out and talking to Frank about it, he was showing me all the components, and had it all hooked up on a test transom. It works with a char-lynn helm, but instead of using an engine driven pump to supply the pressure, it uses an electric pump, It's gonna be a slick setup. They should be ready for purchase here shortly :thumbsup

Mondorally

Reaction score
IMCO is coming out with a brand new electrically driven hyrdaulic system that looks absolutely bitchin for outboards, i was down at their shop earlier this week checking it out and talking to Frank about it, he was showing me all the components, and had it all hooked up on a test transom. It works with a char-lynn helm, but instead of using an engine driven pump to supply the pressure, it uses an electric pump, It's gonna be a slick setup. They should be ready for purchase here shortly :thumbsup

That sounds bad arse!

Flat Broke

Reaction score
Didn't WPM do something like this a while back? Any idea on the draw the hydraulic pump is gonna pull?

I'm in information gathering mode for the next project.

Chris

Reaction score

Troy Wood over in AU had been doing something like that for some time... He had a twin rig of a friend of mine that you could steer with a few fingers. TBFIBOATS.com

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score

Freddy with Nordic designed the system with Imco for the Nordic racing teams 21 they took to belgium, we had it put on our boat after it was re-rigged last year. its works great. i would recommend it to anyone building an outboard boat.