WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outboard is overheating but my girlfriend is full on heated! How do I save the weekend?!

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Do you know if it was started out of the water without the earmuffs on? Those cook the impeller fast when run dry.
Not since I have owned it. There was the guy I bought it from that had it for a week but pregnant wife said get me a pontoon... supposedly. He got it from a friend's dad who's the original owner. I've ran it about 10-15 days mostly Elsinore with a couple high speed passes and mooring in the little cove they have.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I’m going to guess that’s an old V200 or V150 carbureted Mercury or Mariner. When was the impeller changed last? You must install a water psi gauge on that engine if it doesn’t have one. Are you sure your not herring the oil alarm instead of the heat alarm. I ask because you say it’s pissing water out the tattle take hole.
It's a 200. Don't know about impeller. Noted and will on gauges. Motor is an 88 if it's original which I believe it is.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Not since I have owned it. There was the guy I bought it from that had it for a week but pregnant wife said get me a pontoon... supposedly. He got it from a friend's dad who's the original owner. I've ran it about 10-15 days mostly Elsinore with a couple high speed passes and mooring in the little cove they have.

oil injected?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

I know it sounds cheezy....but you tube has been helpful for many other things....lol....maybe it's a start.. I dont know shit about outboards. Good luck man.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Since it looks like a good ol' 2.4l Blackmax Carbed engine. Replace the water pump impeller, yank the thermostats (the engine still runs just fine without them and it eliminates possible restrictions). Does the engine have oil injection? I don't believe it was until '86 until oil injection was standard. If it does have it, it could be the oil tank level setting off the buzzer. Does it buzz the entire time the engine is running?

And btw... A Carbed 2.4L Blackmax has been the engine on my boat for the last 15 years.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

If you can find the parts and a little help from someone who has done it before. A few hours and you should be good to go. This was my last trip. So you’re not alone.
61491356721__16A4C7E0-04B7-438F-B551-042C9B63DB53.jpg

61491358097__9D12A3D3-D880-4EF6-96EE-3423C49E865A.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Since it looks like a good ol' 2.4l Blackmax Carbed engine. Replace the water pump impeller, yank the thermostats (the engine still runs just fine without them and it eliminates possible restrictions). Does the engine have oil injection? I don't believe it was until '86 until oil injection was standard. If it does have it, it could be the oil tank level setting off the buzzer. Does it buzz the entire time the engine is running?

And btw... A Carbed 2.4L Blackmax has been the engine on my boat for the last 15 years.

As I understand it that is the motor I have. Oil tank is half full and is an aftermarket injection setup. It buzzes with the exception of a break for a few seconds every now and then when approaching plane.

What can I do on the trailer this evening that ( hopefully even longshots are acceptable ) could possibly get me on the water tonight? I want to do some night time bridge time with the GF. I know the island section and all the light houses.

I'm only here to pick up my suburban that blew up leaving a few weeks ago. Got a new motor and rode my Harley out to pick up and found out it needs a new transmission. Picking it up tomorrow from Robinson. Point is she didn't want to come out here and I'm burnt out on the a** f****** Havasu has provided me this summer!

wallnutz

Reaction score
Might try to make sure the oil tank pressurizes. You can try what I suggested earlier and pull the upper water line off and see how much flow you have.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Hope you get it fixed. Sounds like a shit week for you, so a nice evening on the lake will do wonders for you folks.👍

The inmates will steer you in the right direction.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I don't know about the engine. But if the chick is super heated, just throw her overboard. That should cool her down real quick. Ohhhhh... and make sure you get it on video so we can diagnose your next step. 😂

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
Alarm sound when motor is cold? Or after U get on plane for a min or 2? Is it a solid alarm or intermittent?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Mine was running super hot last trip. Pegging the temp meter in minutes Merc 150. We replaced the impeller and the thermostats. The thermostats were corroded / calcium build up etc. and just did not look good. I think the two thermostats cost 40 bucks and the famous number 10 socket to replace. Seriously 10 minutes.

Would this test also work for the fore mentioned "heated GF"? Asking for a friend....

Haven’t tried...too scared.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Yes alarm anytime it's on

Ok, then you either have a fucked up alarm or a real problem.

Any time it’s running or only after a minute or so? Is the alarm the only reason you feel it’s overheating?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Running it without t-stats will destroy the engine unless you run restrictors...which takes a bit of extra set up. ‘83 was the last year of pre-mix.

Reactions: DWC

gqchris

Reaction score
I know this exact feeling. Last week I went to load the boat on the triailer after a great week at London Bridge Resort. Walk down to slip, turn key. Dead. Wtf. Ok. Oops left stereo on. Damn it. No problem, grab jump pack I always carry because I “am prepared”. Dead jumpack! Heat related? Vessel assist called. Finally arrives. Get started. Head back to Marina ( solo by the way) grab truck. Put trailer in water and fender pad floats off. Wtf. Grab it. Load boat. Hit the jackplate to get motor into trailer position. Slowly goes up then leaks down. jesus!!!! i drive out and have to pull over every 3 mins to hit button,to make it back to the bridge. Motor is on ground now.

Barley get in parking lot. Security guy goes by and tells me “ your motor looks low” yea no shit sherlock! I run to west marine. Get some fluid for jackplate hoping that helps. No dice. Last ditch I run to Harbor Freight and buy a floor jack. Jack up skeg while wife pushes up button. Seeet baby Jesus it works. I get it up to lock position. We are now on the road home! I started at Noon. Its now 8pm. Get home around 2am. I just about wanted to sell everything boating related.Sometimes the sport just bites us hard in the balls!

TimeBandit

Reaction score
As I understand it that is the motor I have. Oil tank is half full and is an aftermarket injection setup. It buzzes with the exception of a break for a few seconds every now and then when approaching plane.

What can I do on the trailer this evening that ( hopefully even longshots are acceptable ) could possibly get me on the water tonight? I want to do some night time bridge time with the GF. I know the island section and all the light houses.

I'm only here to pick up my suburban that blew up leaving a few weeks ago. Got a new motor and rode my Harley out to pick up and found out it needs a new transmission. Picking it up tomorrow from Robinson. Point is she didn't want to come out here and I'm burnt out on the a** f****** Havasu has provided me this summer!

I would keep it on the trailer until a good outboard tech goes over it. Powerhead overhauls are not cheap and it does not sound like you need another repair bill!

This is a shot of my powerhead going back on after its 3rd overhaul, you can see the shiny new piston in the center position on this bank. First overhaul necessary because of bad thermostat. 2nd overhaul necessary because "professional outboard shop" did not change thermostats during 1st overhaul. 3rd overhaul due to failed oil injection system.

Lessons learned: Remove oil injection. Change the water pump impeller and thermostats on a regular basis.
powerhead mercury 200 1991.jpg

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Running it without t-stats will destroy the engine unless you run restrictors...which takes a bit of extra set up. ‘83 was the last year of pre-mix.
No and no. I haven't had T'stats in mine for over 15 years (weren't there when I bought it). My uncle hasn't had any for about 30. Never an issue.

Also, my engine is an '85. When I was talking to the owner of Pro Boats (I can't remember his name) he told me in '84 and '85 the oil injection was optional. And also why those without it have an internal mounted trim pump instead of the 2 stage external trim set-up.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

If that buzzer is starting right away, I'm leaning heavily towards the oil tank cap/level sender is bad. If it was temperature related, it wouldn't start right away.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
No and no. I haven't had T'stats in mine for over 15 years (weren't there when I bought it). My uncle hasn't had any for about 30. Never an issue.

Also, my engine is an '85. When I was talking to the owner of Pro Boats (I can't remember his name) he told me in '84 and '85 the oil injection was optional. And also why those without it have an internal mounted trim pump instead of the 2 stage external trim set-up.

I bought an engine...1987 200hp on an avenger. Had less than 5 hours on it. Boat and engine was sold new to my buddy in ‘87 by Lakeland Marine and they told him it was an 80mph boat. It wasn’t, so the gave him a jack plate, mod vp leg, and pulled the t-stats because it got hot during the lake test if the motor was raised to high. He parked the boat at that point due to other things happening in life and I got it 25 years later...chrome was peeled off the cylinders and it was all fucked up. 2 strokes make a shitload of heat...and that heat needs to be managed. If the pistons grow due to combustion temps but the water jackets have full cooling flow that’s unrestricted...the pistons will grow more than the cylinders and they will scuff...or worse.

Merc put t-stats in it for a reason.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I know this exact feeling. Last week I went to load the boat on the triailer after a great week at London Bridge Resort. Walk down to slip, turn key. Dead. Wtf. Ok. Oops left stereo on. Damn it. No problem, grab jump pack I always carry because I “am prepared”. Dead jumpack! Heat related? Vessel assist called. Finally arrives. Get started. Head back to Marina ( solo by the way) grab truck. Put trailer in water and fender pad floats off. Wtf. Grab it. Load boat. Hit the jackplate to get motor into trailer position. Slowly goes up then leaks down. jesus!!!! i drive out and have to pull over every 3 mins to hit button,to make it back to the bridge. Motor is on ground now.

Barley get in parking lot. Security guy goes by and tells me “ your motor looks low” yea no shit sherlock! I run to west marine. Get some fluid for jackplate hoping that helps. No dice. Last ditch I run to Harbor Freight and buy a floor jack. Jack up skeg while wife pushes up button. Seeet baby Jesus it works. I get it up to lock position. We are now on the road home! I started at Noon. Its now 8pm. Get home around 2am. I just about wanted to sell everything boating related.Sometimes the sport just bites us hard in the balls!
One of the reasons why I like my old 2.4.... I can just throw a rope around the flywheel and start that sumbitch with a dead battery. Done it twice now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I bought an engine...1987 200hp on an avenger. Had less than 5 hours on it. Boat and engine was sold new to my buddy in ‘87 by Lakeland Marine and they told him it was an 80mph boat. It wasn’t, so the gave him a jack plate, mod vp leg, and pulled the t-stats because it got hot during the lake test if the motor was raised to high. He parked the boat at that point due to other things happening in life and I got it 25 years later...chrome was peeled off the cylinders and it was all fucked up. 2 strokes make a shitload of heat...and that heat needs to be managed. If the pistons grow due to combustion temps but the water jackets have full cooling flow that’s unrestricted...the pistons will grow more than the cylinders and they will scuff...or worse.

Merc put t-stats in it for a reason.
Well.... Like I said, 15+ and 30+ years of first hand and second hand experience says they are just fine without.

The example you used sounds like the motor was ran up too high for too long

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I like my old 2.4.... I can just throw a rope around the flywheel and start that sumbitch with a dead battery. Done it twice now.

Some guy was talking shit at a cove one day about my shitty slow “pull string” boat...he had some olds powered garbage. I told him we should race...opened the cowl, grabbed the string outta the pocket...wrapped it and got ‘er on the first pull...then handed him his ass. Is was awesome.

Battery was fine, just had to do it for effect.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Some guy was talking shit at a cove one day about my shitty slow “pull string” boat...he had some olds powered garbage. I told him we should race...opened the cowl, grabbed the string outta the pocket...wrapped it and got ‘er on the first pull...then handed him his ass. Is was awesome.

Battery was fine, just had to do it for effect.
Haha! Love it!!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Well.... Like I said, 15+ and 30+ years of first hand and second hand experience says they are just fine without.

The example you used sounds like the motor was ran up too high for too long

Then why does merc build ‘em with t-stats if they’re not needed? Seems they could have saved a considerable amount of money over the years if they’d have just left them out....

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Then why does merc build ‘em with t-stats if they’re not needed? Seems they could have saved a considerable amount of money over the years if they’d have just left them out....
Allows the engine to come up to temp quicker which reduces smoking of the engine and for those that run in really cold water it helps to keep the block temp up and even.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Like I told our boy SloppyJoe earlier, Two of our finest techs talking... time to listen up.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Like I told our boy SloppyJoe earlier, Two of our finest techs talking... time to listen up.

Everything I have offered up is helpful and useful. I have owned no less than 10 of these engines and take care of about 20 others. While I’m not the best, I think I have a good idea how to keep them alive.

You can kindly kiss my ass Sir.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Everything I have offered up is helpful and useful. I have owned no less than 10 of these engines and take care of about 20 others. While I’m not the best, I think I have a good idea how to keep them alive.

You can kindly kiss my ass Sir.
And here I was mentioning you earlier as one of RDPs finest techs.... always give fine tech advice on here.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

We’ll agree to disagree....

I’ll also point out that the stats have nothing to due with warm up time...or...very little...since we’re dealing with raw water cooling. Unlike a car or a closed cooling system, where the radiator or heat exchanger is the determining factor of cooling capacity...t-stats in a situation with an unlimited supply of cool coolant control the engine operating temp. There are plenty of performance applications that run without t-stats, but they involve other cooling system mods.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Ok, then you either have a fucked up alarm or a real problem.

Any time it’s running or only after a minute or so? Is the alarm the only reason you feel it’s overheating?
And my temp gauge

stingray11

Reaction score
Starting to sound like the small oil tank inside the engine cover is low on oil make sure that small tank is filled up to the very top or buzzer will go off when you turn the key on. Sometimes when you add oil to the big tank in the boat that has to pressurize to fill the small tank and there's a lag there and sometimes the small tank will go down and buzzer go off

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

TimeBandit

Reaction score
OK, he is getting an alarm, and a high temp reading on the guage at start up? check the temperature sending unit and or the wires to the alarm box under the cowl.

If both of those test good, the little black boxes go bad. another reason to dump the oil injection and the black box.... After you replace the impeller and the thermostats!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the alarm sound for heat related as opposed to low oil in the upper tank. Mine is a fast beep when it is a low oil tank. I have never heard a different one.

guest hs

Reaction score
This older engine probably doesn’t have an internal oil tank on the engine. It may have what’s called Auto Blend. If it has Auto Blend shit can that system and pre mix 50 to 1. Are you getting a steady alarm or a intermittent alarm? More pics of your engine with the cowl off and maybe pics of your oil system would help.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

WHAT, did you do to deserve this Rash of Shit? :confused:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We’ll agree to disagree....

I’ll also point out that the stats have nothing to due with warm up time...or...very little...since we’re dealing with raw water cooling. Unlike a car or a closed cooling system, where the radiator or heat exchanger is the determining factor of cooling capacity...t-stats in a situation with an unlimited supply of cool coolant control the engine operating temp. There are plenty of performance applications that run without t-stats, but they involve other cooling system mods.
How in the world is that true? When the thermostats close it stops most all coolant (raw lake water in this case) flow through the engine allowing substantially more heat to remain in the engine. When there are no thermostats the coolant flows 100% freely through the engine pulling much more heat out the entire time the engine is running. This substantially increasing the warm-up period of the engine. This is the same in a closed loop 4 stroke as well.

Taboma

Reaction score
How in the world is that true? When the thermostats close it stops most all coolant (raw lake water in this case) flow through the engine allowing substantially more heat to remain in the engine. When there are no thermostats the coolant flows 100% freely through the engine pulling much more heat out the entire time the engine is running. This substantially increasing the warm-up period of the engine. This is the same in a closed loop 4 stroke as well.

Don't know shit about how outboards are plumbed, mine pissed and ran, that was the extent of my need to know (At the time) --- but isn't a certain amount of restriction important in order to reduce flow to allow the coolant (Water or mixture) time to absorb the heat in order to efficiently remove it ? I'd think that without a cycling pump, a T-Stat in a flow through system would more restrict the output flow than shut it off. But I don't pretend to be right, more curious.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Don't know shit about how outboards are plumbed, mine pissed and ran, that was the extent of my need to know (At the time) --- but isn't a certain amount of restriction important in order to reduce flow to allow the coolant (Water or mixture) time to absorb the heat in order to efficiently remove it ? I'd think that without a cycling pump, a T-Stat in a flow through system would more restrict the output flow than shut it off. But I don't pretend to be right, more curious.

Restriction is required to keep a bit of pressure ... otherwise we get air pockets and uneven flow.

The objective is Not to cool as good as it can...it’s to maintain a certain temp. The cylinders need to grow too.

T-stats are not just open or closed...

To your question about absorbing heat...the most efficient heat transfer will occur at the greatest delta...so cool water flowing faster is best for ultimate heat transfer, but that’s not what we’re after here.

Last edited:

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the alarm sound for heat related as opposed to low oil in the upper tank. Mine is a fast beep when it is a low oil tank. I have never heard a different one.

Yes, differences is heat Alarm is a solid alarm no beeping

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Sometimes Backyard Mechanics with Free advice, turns out "NOT FREE"🤔

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Exactly my point...with no t-stats, it runs too cool.