WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outboard Question... Steering Tight at Speed

Sbarry

Reaction score
Just ran the toon for the first time. Steering is loose and manageable when idling, but at any speed (or trim level) it dang near takes both hands to turn the wheel.

New motor. 90 Merc. Everything I find online is steering getting tight after years of use. Seems odd for new.

Any reason why? Is there an adjustment??

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Just ran the toon for the first time. Steering is loose and manageable when idling, but at any speed (or trim level) it dang near takes both hands to turn the wheel.

New motor. 90 Merc. Everything I find online is steering getting tight after years of use. Seems odd for new.

I am assuming it's not hydraulic. Did you play with the trim at all when running at speed?? When I had cables, my steering would be very tight when trimmed out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

As the motor is higher out if the water the steering becomes stiffer. I can't imagine a Toon would have the motor rigged that high, but GRADS is alive so there have been weired things.

Where is the proshaft in relation to the bottom of the toons?

Sbarry

Reaction score
I am assuming it's not hydraulic. Did you play with the trim at all when running at speed?? When I had cables, my steering would be very tight when trimmed out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Non hydraulic. And yea messed with the trim a ton. No difference.

Sbarry

Reaction score
As the motor is higher out if the water the steering becomes stiffer. I can't imagine a Toon would have the motor rigged that high, but GRADS is alive so there have been weired things.

Where is the proshaft in relation to the bottom of the toons?

IMG_2776.JPG

Spot

Reaction score
Outboards, we always tried to anticipate turning movements and trim down. That's my bass boating experience, I have no experience with pontoons.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Cable or hydraulic steering? My guess is cable and if so it could be time to replace it.

DonS

Reaction score
We bought a 2017 22' Sun Tracker tritoon, party barge last year with a 150HP Mercury and hydraulic steering. Even WITH the hydraulic steering it took two hands to turn the wheel at speed. Idling and low speed maneuvers were fine.

We ordered a new Avalon Catalina in February. Knowing what I know about hydraulic steering, I ordered power steering with the new 250 Yamaha on the new boat. It's being rigged now, hope to pick it up next week.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Looks like single cable steering to me? The steering cable could need replacing.

Is there a way to mount the engine lower? Might be worth a try to see if things change. It does look a little higher than I would expect for a toon.

sloboat76

Reaction score
Not sure if its the same as my 90 horse Merc tiller handle, but mine has an adjustment underneath the front that connects to the mid that you can adjust tension against steering.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Cable or hydraulic steering? My guess is cable and if so it could be time to replace it.
Looks like single cable steering to me? The steering cable could need replacing.

Is there a way to mount the engine lower? Might be worth a try to see if things change. It does look a little higher than I would expect for a toon.
If it were the cable it would be a pain at idle or at speed. I went through 2 teleflex racks because of that and it was actually harder around the dock then at speed and I run my motor pretty high.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sbarry

Reaction score
We bought a 2017 22' Sun Tracker tritoon, party barge last year with a 150HP Mercury and hydraulic steering. Even WITH the hydraulic steering it took two hands to turn the wheel at speed. Idling and low speed maneuvers were fine.

We ordered a new Avalon Catalina in February. Knowing what I know about hydraulic steering, I ordered power steering with the new 250 Yamaha on the new boat. It's being rigged now, hope to pick it up next week.

That’s interesting. Thanks

TCHB

Reaction score
The toon boats with out power steering can be a tough at speed. I tried everything on our old toon boat but not much changed.

Our new boat has power steering which is just like a car.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
The steering cable really shouldn't have that sharp bend right as it turns to the engine....The overall cable would be better off if at all possible to have a more rounded approach as the cable is installed into the engine support steering tube not exceeding an 8" degree radius as a norm.

Steering Cable Routing:
The helm assembly can be mounted for either port or starboard cable routing. Steering cables, if possible, should be routed to the starboard side of the boat in order to balance engine torque. When routing the steering cable(s), select a path with the minimum number of bends, making the bends as large as possible. DO NOT MAKE BENDS OF LESS THAN 8" RADIUS. Sharp or frequent bends will result in hard steering and premature cable wear. When it is necessary to pass through a bulkhead, a 1-1/2" diameter hole is required. Cable(s) should be loosely clamped or tied for support at regular intervals.

CAUTION:
It is possible to over trim the engine and increase the steering torque to the point that the steering wheel cannot be turned, even though the torque is not felt at the wheel. This may give the impression that the steering is “locked”. This condition can occur more when jack plates are used to raise the engine on the transom, and can only be overcome by reducing the boat speed or engine trim out position. Until you are completely familiar with the boat and the effects of power trim, make all adjustments of trim with extreme caution.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND OWNERS MANUAL

Also make sure the nut where the cable connects to the link rod item number 8, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/28506/16491/210 is backed off a quarter of a turn like mentioned at the 4:40 mark of the following video,

Sbarry

Reaction score
A lot of good insight. Thanks everyone. I’ll watch the videos and see what I can do myself before taking it back to the dealer.

Sbarry

Reaction score
The steering cable really shouldn't have that sharp bend right as it turns to the engine....The overall cable would be better off if at all possible to have a more rounded approach as the cable is installed into the engine support steering tube not exceeding an 8" degree radius as a norm.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND OWNERS MANUAL

Also make sure the nut where the cable connects to the link rod item number 8, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/28506/16491/210 is backed off a quarter of a turn like mentioned at the 4:40 mark of the following video,

Thanks Fun Times. Greatly appreciated. [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sbarry

Reaction score
The toon boats with out power steering can be a tough at speed. I tried everything on our old toon boat but not much changed.

Our new boat has power steering which is just like a car.

I might just not be used to the non-hydraulic steering yet. Been a little spoiled thus far. Lol

W.O.T. Marine

Reaction score
Has it always been like this, since you have had the boat?

It may have safe T steering by sea star. It does not have a clutch in the helm and will have a lot of feed back from the prop. Look at the helm behind the dash. Is it rotary or rack steering?

Post i picture if you can.

You also do not have "trim fin" anode above the prop that can help if your having steering pull.

old rigger

Reaction score
...You also do not have "trim fin" anode above the prop that can help if your having steering pull.

I thought the same thing. Having never owned one I looked it up and found this pic of a new engine with the tab, but most showed no tab, I dunno why, maybe power steering option? I'd put one on and see if it helps.
1007516_1.jpg

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Could it just be a simple effect of hydrodynamics? When you have all that water rushing between the tubes and no power steering, I would think the motor would want to stay straight. Pontoons don't like to turn much anyway, so it seems like it's going to take some muscle.

Sent from a van down by the river. [emoji111]️

Sbarry

Reaction score
Has it always been like this, since you have had the boat?

It may have safe T steering by sea star. It does not have a clutch in the helm and will have a lot of feed back from the prop. Look at the helm behind the dash. Is it rotary or rack steering?

Post i picture if you can.

You also do not have "trim fin" anode above the prop that can help if your having steering pull.

This was the first time on the boat.

Here’s the steering.

IMG_2778.JPG

It looks like you’re right about the steering, but there really isn’t much “feed back”, just more or less tight. Only way I can explain it, the steering pump went out on my 25 first trip out, and this feels identical. Tracks straight fine, but light adjustments (like navigating around a down skier) it’s crazy stiff. Good thing I’m not winning any races so I have plenty of time to steer around hazards, but now you have me interested in the trim fin. I understood these to assist in planing, is that not the case?

Reaction score
This was the first time on the boat.

Here’s the steering.

View attachment 644148

It looks like you’re right about the steering, but there really isn’t much “feed back”, just more or less tight. Only way I can explain it, the steering pump went out on my 25 first trip out, and this feels identical. Tracks straight fine, but light adjustments (like navigating around a down skier) it’s crazy stiff. Good thing I’m not winning any races so I have plenty of time to steer around hazards, but now you have me interested in the trim fin. I understood these to assist in planing, is that not the case?

I don't see a hydraulic steer actuator, so it appears to be cables. In order to make it steer easier, it needs a power steering pump, and a hydraulic steering actuator.