WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outboard Rebuild??

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I've been trying to buy my late friends Tritoon from our friend, and she finally had me make an offer on it. Before he past about 10 years ago, he told me the motor blew up, but I don't remember if it was the lower unit or the actual motor.
If she takes my offer, I need to get the outboard to someone, it's a 150 2 stroke, not sure of year. He had mentioned someplace in Apple Valley that was good, but it was so long ago I have no idea.

Who would you guys recommend to take it to? Could be in Havasu to LA, location isn't that important. FYI, I have never owned an outboard.

azsunfun

Reaction score
if the motor can be turned most likely ok, i have seen lower come apart and act like seized motor!!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
What’s wrong with it?

First thing I’d do is pull the heads and re-evaluate.

...and hope it doesn’t look like this:
06DEFE5E-F39E-49F2-A137-4D426308AC0B.jpeg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Put it in neutral and see if it’s free then compression test it.
It’s amazing how many people go full Scarlet O’Hara on something that turns out to be minor.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't ask my friend, and I'm sure his wife doesn't remember. If she takes the offer, I'll get the boat in the next couple weeks and can try some things. I vaguely remember him telling me it was the engine portion, not the lower unit, and way back when, he told me it was going to be around $3500 to rebuild it.

I've been trying to buy this thing every other year since my friend past, fingers crossed it works out finally.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Outboard shop I recommend is WOT Marine in Carlsbad. There are few and far who work on the older stuff anymore. I would budget 5k for a full rebuild.
Yep, we just told by our local shop Pre 95-96 they won't (don't want to) work on any more. to hard to get parts etc. Luckily I've known them for awhile and he'll work on my 85 during the off season when he's not slammed with jobs.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
2 strokes are so simple to rebuild I am surprised at the numbers being thrown out.. You don't even have to balance the bore on a 150 for a pontoon, meaning you can run one cylinder at 0.015 or .030 over. Hone or bore that cylinder and run it. I rebuilt a 150 OB when I was 22 years old and no expert, just as described and it ran for years. So I am just throwing it out there and not trying to stir the pot, but I would think its a pretty easy fix as long as everything else is good to go. I probably honed and re-ring on all the other working cylinders...

Mercury made it super simple in that the whole carb assembly was on a plate with 3 or 4 bolts and I unbolted it, set it to the side and bolted it back on and it ran fine. I remember most of the bearing being needle bearing style and they were fully reusable.

Things do change and this was 30 some years ago, so I am just speculating... Although I still own a merc 200 efi that runs like new with 1200 hours on it and it has been super easy to maintain.

Quick google search shows rebuilt power heads at 3000 so I guess 4500 with labor and a shop to give a short warranty probably is the going rate.

Last edited:

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
If your getting a good enough deal on the boat why not upgrade the motor to something newer and more fuel efficient

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
5000 to rebuild a 2 stroke 150 is batshit insane. Its a sleeve motor and doesn't need chrome or nicasil. If the bore is hurt (rare) it'll need to be machined, but more often than not you can dissolve whatever aluminum is stuck the cylinder walls with purple zep or something along those lines, do a quick hone, and put it back together with a new piston and rings. Parts are available all day long for the V6 engines.

anyone halfway mechanically inclined can rebuild V6 merc in a weekend.

gqchris

Reaction score
5000 to rebuild a 2 stroke 150 is batshit insane. Its a sleeve motor and doesn't need chrome or nicasil. If the bore is hurt (rare) it'll need to be machined, but more often than not you can dissolve whatever aluminum is stuck the cylinder walls with purple zep or something along those lines, do a quick hone, and put it back together with a new piston and rings. Parts are available all day long for the V6 engines.

Sounds like Dirtslinger should be sending you a PM soon, nice lil weekend project:)

HST4ME

Reaction score
It's for sale. One of the best running motors I have owned. Long story short it suffered the mercury voltage regulator curse and inhaled the burning sound deadening foam buggering the bores up.

Michigan fresh water motor it's whole life. CCMS sport reeds.. .015 over thin ring pistons. New cdi voltage regulators. The plastic caged rod bearings have been replaced with metal caged. 40 amp charging system. 87 octane motor...etc etc bla bla. Gearcase resealed..new decals, cowl is repainted and you can shave in it.

HST4ME

Reaction score

Ok lol...
I try not to build junk....very very few complaints after 30 years.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
It was an issue from the first motor they let out the door.
Gotcha, other then the cap cracking on the upper tank I've never had a problem my 88 - 150. Hope I didn't just jynx myself

HST4ME

Reaction score
Gotcha, other then the cap cracking on the upper tank I've never had a problem my 88 - 150. Hope I didn't just jynx myself
It is a totally shit set up. If the crank gear would have been made out of brass like yamaha did well ok

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Ok lol...
I try not to build junk....very very few complaints after 30 years.
I'm talking about a stock rebuild for a pontoon boat...not a hot rod

gqchris

Reaction score
Yea my top cap cracked also. Joe at Havasu Hot Laps saved me one weekend with one in stock!

cofooter

Reaction score
Why get rid of the Oil injection? personal preference or did you have an issue?
I got rid of mine 3 yrs ago on my '92 Yamaha Pro-V 200. Never ran better after I took it off. And piece of mind on an old engine/system that can't fail due to oil injection issue. 1700 hrs, still rippin!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I got rid of mine 3 yrs ago on my '92 Yamaha Pro-V 200. Never ran better after I took it off. And piece of mind on an old engine/system that can't fail due to oil injection issue. 1700 hrs, still rippin!

I totally get it piece of mind and mixing your own. At the same time I have an 88 150. That I have never had an issue with. Now might only be 1000 hours and that’s pushing it. But I like just throwing some 91 oct in it and go.
If I had one issue I would be getting rid of the injection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
I totally get it piece of mind and mixing your own. At the same time I have an 88 150. That I have never had an issue with. Now might only be 1000 hours and that’s pushing it. But I like just throwing some 91 oct in it and go.

Actually, it was getting a bit sluggish prior, so I tried it. No big deal at all pre-mixing....... fill it up at the pump, note how many gallons, and throw the oil in! Easy!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Actually, it was getting a bit sluggish prior, so I tried it. No big deal at all pre-mixing....... fill it up at the pump, note how many gallons, and throw the oil in! Easy!

I get it. Did that way from the 70s. No problem mixing. It is easy. I’m just even lazier then ever. Lol.

Water Romper

Reaction score

Yup, Have a 92 250 Blk Max, I just keep the Qck Slvr 2 stroke oil in the oil tank (don't mix in the gas) and run 91 octane, throw Sea Foam in each gas tank every other fill up it runs like a charm- pushes the lil Hallett , give or take 80 mph. Smokes a bit but hey, its a 2 stroke!!

cofooter

Reaction score
Yup, Have a 92 250 Blk Max, I just keep the Qck Slvr 2 stroke oil in the oil tank (don't mix in the gas) and run 91 octane, throw Sea Foam in each gas tank every other fill up it runs like a charm- pushes the lil Hallett , give or take 80 mph. Smokes a bit but hey, its a 2 stroke!!
A little smoke don't mean its broke, haha, love that smell!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
A little smoke don't mean its broke, haha, love that smell!

Funny you said that. Just had ours running in front of the house. A neighbor came up and was love that sound and the smell of a old school 2 stroke. And I thought he was going to come over and bitch about the noise. Just goes to show ya.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Well, my friend took the offer, I'm now the owner of a non running Tritoon that's been sitting since 2011. Now I gotta find time to go get out of her garage, and get the motor off and see if I can get it running and cleaned up for the summer.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Why get rid of the Oil injection? personal preference or did you have an issue?
I'll bet I took off more than 100 oil injection systems in my 40 year stint. Why take them off, they're mechanical and they fail!!!! If one is going to stand there and fill the fuel tank why not add the oil at the same time?? My own personal 99' SportJet from Merc failed at 2 hours. The nylon gear on the crank got ate up by the metal oil pump driveshaft. I caught it before it did any damage, thanks to the oil buzzer. Merc said they were going to rebuild my new powerhead, I said no you're not, you're going to replace the powerhead and that's what they did. When my warranty was up the oiling system came off in a heartbeat.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
It is a totally shit set up. If the crank gear would have been made out of brass like yamaha did well ok
That nylon gear was a bunch of horse shit!!!!!!

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Omg. My dead buddies pontoon thread?? If you can’t fix it...let someone that can. A 2smoke is easy. What the hell happened to this site???

TimeBandit

Reaction score
My '91 Merc 2.5L V6 200 hp carb was rebuilt by Dick Sherer Marine back in 1997, it seized up again during the break in period. When I took it back they were trying to blame my break in technique and generally not happy to see me. Two weeks later I get a call that it is fixed. I go down there and they had the balls to present me with a bill for two thermostats that they did not replace during the first overhaul that caused the problem from the get go.

I ran it for years with no problems, then a plastic hose broke for the oil injection system inside the cowl and it seized again.... Dick Sherer said they no longer do overhauls.

So I fixed it myself after letting it sit in the garage for 2 years. I had two cylinders bored oversize and replaced a total of 3 pistons. New needle bearings, seals, rings, thermostats and gaskets. I also weight balanced the piston/rings/rod assemblies to within 2 grams of each other. AND a oil injection block off kit!

It ran better than ever.

Attachments

• Mercury Crankshaft.jpg
    Mercury Crankshaft.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Mercury heads off.jpg
    Mercury heads off.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 52

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
You must be a riot at a party.
Ha...I’m definitely more entertaining in person. Sorry for the jab...it was more of a sarcastic comment about toons on a performance boat forum. Been reading too many of the classic shit talking threads that Shintoo posted.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I'll bet I took off more than 100 oil injection systems in my 40 year stint. Why take them off, they're mechanical and they fail!!!! If one is going to stand there and fill the fuel tank why not add the oil at the same time?? My own personal 99' SportJet from Merc failed at 2 hours. The nylon gear on the crank got ate up by the metal oil pump driveshaft. I caught it before it did any damage, thanks to the oil buzzer. Merc said they were going to rebuild my new powerhead, I said no you're not, you're going to replace the powerhead and that's what they did. When my warranty was up the oiling system came off in a heartbeat.

I get it if you have had an issue. I guess I’ll just count my chickens before their hatched and consider myself very lucky from what I’ve heard. My 87. Knock on wood. No issues.
Fill up the main tank with a couple gallons And then just add gas ass needed.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
My '91 Merc 2.5L V6 200 hp carb was rebuilt by Dick Sherer Marine back in 1997, it seized up again during the break in period. When I took it back they were trying to blame my break in technique and generally not happy to see me. Two weeks later I get a call that it is fixed. I go down there and they had the balls to present me with a bill for two thermostats that they did not replace during the first overhaul that caused the problem from the get go.

I ran it for years with no problems, then a plastic hose broke for the oil injection system inside the cowl and it seized again.... Dick Sherer said they no longer do overhauls.

So I fixed it myself after letting it sit in the garage for 2 years. I had two cylinders bored oversize and replaced a total of 3 pistons. New needle bearings, seals, rings, thermostats and gaskets. I also weight balanced the piston/rings/rod assemblies to within 2 grams of each other. AND a oil injection block off kit!

It ran better than ever.

When was this. We always to our boat (and used to joke) to get Dicked. Always had good prompt reliable service.
A little far now to make the trip to Norwalk.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I will not warranty a merc v6 for one second if the customer demands the OIJ reinstalled.

rrrr

Reaction score
My own personal 99' SportJet from Merc failed at 2 hours. The nylon gear on the crank got ate up by the metal oil pump driveshaft.

I borrowed a Sugar Sand with a Sport Jet, my wife took it out with her friends. It chewed up the nylon gear, blew up, and it cost me $2,600 for an exchange powerhead.

What a stupid effing design.

gqchris

Reaction score
I get it if you have had an issue. I guess I’ll just count my chickens before their hatched and consider myself very lucky from what I’ve heard. My 87. Knock on wood. No issues.
Fill up the main tank with a couple gallons And then just add gas ass needed.

I have always had the same luck on my motors also. If its working fine I never touched it. Only issue one time was a cracked cap on the cowling tank and the buzzer alerted me to that.