WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outdoor Fire Pits

C08H18

Reaction score
Gathering ideas for an outdoor firepit I want to build once it cools off. I already have a three round patio pads that sits next to my pool where i can locate the firepit. Two pads are close to the covered patio where the white chairs sit and the third is the largest pad just to the right of the casita (can only see the edge in this pic). One option is the BREEO fire pit insert or self-standing unit, both claiming to be smokeless. Does anyone have experience with the BREEO or an equivalent option? I'm located in Litchfield Park, AZ.
IMG_1133.jpg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I had to have my yard constructed after buying a built new home once. I was looking at the landscape architects plans and didn't recognize this small ring on the drawings.... I was looking to cut things cause the budget got outta hand with pool, Jacuzzi, waterfall, etc.... he told me it was an in ground firepit and I said take it out. He kinda resisted saying he'd lower price to $500 and I said ok keep it. I was an east coast guy who didn't know the value of the things. It was where everyone ended our day for years... dogs and entire family at night ends surrounded it. My recommendation is find the gas line off the house and run it to an in ground firepit with lava rock. Build it about 6" above deck level so pool water doesn't run into it. You'll want to put it close to house for cost reductions in running the line. If thats too rich for the budget just do a fancy portable thing.... either way its where everyone ends their evening... guaranteed.

C08H18

Reaction score
My recommendation is find the gas line off the house and run it to an in ground firepit with lava rock.
i have a gas fire table under the patio already. I should have said that I want a add a wood burner outside of the patio cover.

.... either way its where everyone ends their evening... guaranteed.
LOL. we end up in the shop at the end of the evening.

oldschool

Reaction score
If you run a gas line off your house, use 1” line. Also put a valve at the main as well as at the pit.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
i have a gas fire table under the patio already. I should have said that I want a add a wood burner outside of the patio cover.

LOL. we end up in the shop at the end of the evening.
Ha.... yeah I don't have one of those. Good to hear your lines already out there under the concrete... sounds like maybe you won't have to tear anything up regardless of which way ya go.

DLC

Reaction score
I bought a masonry kit for $300 It’s like 40inch circle pit, has the curved blocks and cap just need a footing and the gas line, then I stuccoed the outside.
in havasu we use a wash drum and burn wood but then you have smoke Which kinda sucks

you might be able to just get some stackable blocks and build it that way & make it square

scottchbrite

Reaction score
We are slowly putting a plan together for our backyard. We are going with an outdoor fireplace. I’m not sure how I’m going to build it yet though (brick, insert, etc). It costs a bit more and less area around it, but no smoke, my neighbors won’t be able to see it to complain, and it looks fancy :D Just another idea.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
I really want a SoloStove... it's been to warm though to think about buying one!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I bought a masonry kit for $300 It’s like 40inch circle pit, has the curved blocks and cap just need a footing and the gas line, then I stuccoed the outside.
in havasu we use a wash drum and burn wood but then you have smoke Which kinda sucks

you might be able to just get some stackable blocks and build it that way & make it square
This is what my parents bought. Difference being that I insisted that it be gas instead of wood for many reasons. My dad didn't want gas because he didn't want to dig the ditch, pay someone, or rent the equipment to do so since there were a bunch of tree roots in the area. So I offered to do so and did. Ran a 3/4" line all the way to the pit. My dad had a couple of his guys run the the direct burial flexible gas line to the vertical stub into the center of the ring where my dad installed a keyed gas valve and made a false floor of the pit to raise it and reduce the amount of lava rock and fire glass used. Its now just a matter of turning on the valve and lighting the gas. Because of that, it is the most used thing in the backyard. My mom thanks me for insisting on running a gas line. THe wood pits just do not get used anywhere near as often as wood pits.

fmo24

Reaction score
We did a free standing metal fire pit with glass beads
8369735D-61B7-479A-94FC-15F2771AF192.jpeg

fmo24

Reaction score
This just had a propane tank inside. Had an access door in side

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Ours is oval-ish. One row of cinder blocks. Filled with concrete, topped with stone, stucco on the perimeter. Natural gas. Being low the heat is more effective than a taller edge. Every time we entertain outside, the crowd ends up around it. I put a drain in it, so water can get out. Filled with large lava rock chunks. 36" stainless steel ring.

I do add a chunk of wood now and then to get a little of the natural wood smell, but not enough smoke to bother anybody. The pit is better than a fireplace since a crowd can sit around it. With a fireplace you can only sit on one side of it.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I believe he is looking for a wood fire pit as he already has the NG ones.
This is ours and once you burn some oak in it for 2-3 hours it radiates heat out to about 20' and can get crazy hot. Stack is about 14' high so no smoke in the patio area when burning hardwoods. Can't wait for a little cooler weather to start enjoying it again.

20190501_172219.jpg

20190504_195326.jpg

Javajoe

Reaction score
What are the details on the firebowls? I'd like to have something like this for camping when no campfires are allowed.
I just bought pots and ran a gas line to them as I was running gas around my pool. Built just like a fire pit. Same stuff. 12” SS ring. I’m not a fan of propane pits. Too loud and kind of smelly but it’s about your only way to go for camping with restrictions. I’m sure they sell different kinds. My fire bowls probably weight 300 lbs. lol

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I believe he is looking for a wood fire pit as he already has the NG ones.
This is ours and once you burn some oak in it for 2-3 hours it radiates heat out to about 20' and can get crazy hot. Stack is about 14' high so no smoke in the patio area when burning hardwoods. Can't wait for a little cooler weather to start enjoying it again.

View attachment 917636

View attachment 917637
This..... and I have 5 acres of oak trees! Looks great!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Gathering ideas for an outdoor firepit I want to build once it cools off. I already have a three round patio pads that sits next to my pool where i can locate the firepit. Two pads are close to the covered patio where the white chairs sit and the third is the largest pad just to the right of the casita (can only see the edge in this pic). One option is the BREEO fire pit insert or self-standing unit, both claiming to be smokeless. Does anyone have experience with the BREEO or an equivalent option? I'm located in Litchfield Park, AZ.
View attachment 917488
Well, the beauty of RDP .... you got tons of feedback.... all of it to good use. The wood vs gas decision is important so give it thought and discuss with neighbors if they're friends. Lawsuits occur in some regions so take it seriously. Enjoy what you decide... best feature in most yards at end of the night.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Be careful with a concrete floor on a wood burning pit, I've seen one blow up first hand.:eek:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
6’x6’ made with block, flagstone and stacked stone. ran a propane line underground to the bar to hide the tank. Don’t have natural gas.

Two different valves, one controls the center and one controls outer edge when we want to feel the heat.

300 pounds of Diamond Fire Glass, it has held up great. I get some carbon build up and need to clean the glass occasionally and it’s covered when not in use with a sunbrella material.

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

IMG_7628.png

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Dub

Reaction score
We remodeled our back yard a few years ago. The fire pit is one of the most used additions. Ours was built to burn both wood and natural gas. It has a drain and we filled with large and small lava rocks. The gas in plumbed to the middle then a riser to a circular gas ring (maybe 36''). over that we put a wagon wheel style fireplace grate in case we burn wood. To keep wood off the burners. We use gas 95% of the time. The height was based so you could sit on the edge comfortably with your back to the fire. I could not find a pic of the inside but if you like I could post later. Good luck.

Attachments

• fire pit.jpg
    fire pit.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 91

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Sojo Fire Pits. Been outside for the past 14 years and still in great shape.

C08H18

Reaction score
We remodeled our back yard a few years ago. The fire pit is one of the most used additions. Ours was built to burn both wood and natural gas. It has a drain and we filled with large and small lava rocks. The gas in plumbed to the middle then a riser to a circular gas ring (maybe 36''). over that we put a wagon wheel style fireplace grate in case we burn wood. To keep wood off the burners. We use gas 95% of the time. The height was based so you could sit on the edge comfortably with your back to the fire. I could not find a pic of the inside but if you like I could post later. Good luck.
great idea to plumb for dual fuel. is that stucco finish? How did you create the round wall?

Jay Dub

Reaction score
great idea to plumb for dual fuel. is that stucco finish? How did you create the round wall?
yes stucco. I believe it was some sort of cinder block with rebar inside. but completely round when together. I will look for some construction pics

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

I've been thinking about putting one of those in my backyard as we are in an area of Havasu without NG. I would suggest putting a paver or brick surround outside of those. A friend of ours has one that he takes camping out to the desert. You don't wanna touch the metal on those or you will get 3rd degree burns. They burn Hot AF! (That's why there is little smoke)

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Diesel and used motor oil. Burns pretty clean actually with the return pipe.

Used oil at a 50/50 oil to diesel works well as does the cooking oil from your local bar's deep fryer but it leaves lots of sludge!

77charger

Reaction score
That’s my style too. Ran it every weekend when we lived in Fullerton now we’re in az so probably be another month at minimum. Burned a couple gallons of 87 no smell or smoke after you shut it down. Have had one for about 12 years. I’ll use diesel and gas at desert since diesel burns slower. As for oil fuck that. That shit reeks and makes a mess inside.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Go get a price of 48” ? x 16 RCP roll it in lay it down brick or rock on the outside the cut metal or stone for a cap , easy pit

Reactions: DLC

fmo24

Reaction score
Really like this fire box. Do you know what brand it is and where to purchase ?
Not sure of brand. I bought it online. Let me see if I have the records
WoodlandDirect.com

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We used a retired concrete plant cone crusher, 1000 pounds or so, not going anywhere :)
4A4679F6-631F-47FF-B2BC-F6E96805064F.jpeg
110DF23C-3B86-499F-BCC1-53A95C383467.jpeg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If anyone needs any broken glass, I have a shit ton of it from our bathroom remodel.