WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outdrive question

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I have a bravo one, when I push the trim switch to lift the drive at speed, the boat slows until I let up on the switch. It doesn’t appear to have a ton of voltage draw. I also just noticed that one of the anode’s looks black? Any thoughts? Could replacing the anode’s be a fix?

Thanks!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
How old is the battery? how old are the plugs? cap and rotor?

Sounds like you are loosing spark energy from the current draw of the trim pump, 2 possible culprits are that there isn't enough amperage capacity in the system to feed the pump. Or the ignition system has worn components that won't stand the voltage lose and combustion ignition is suffering from that.

What motor?

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
My guess is the battery. These newfangled engines take a bunch of amps to run perfect. My buddy has a newer 115 Merc on his fishing boat and it does the same thing, not that he feels it but I certainly do. I've mentioned a better battery but we hardly have to trim much at all fishing.

guest hs

Reaction score
Check your battery if it’s fuel injected make sure you have at least 1000 cranking amp wet cell battery also check your charging system it should be 13.7 volts running and look for any loose or corroded grounds

DB / HAV

Reaction score
How old is the battery? how old are the plugs? cap and rotor?

Sounds like you are loosing spark energy from the current draw of the trim pump, 2 possible culprits are that there isn't enough amperage capacity in the system to feed the pump. Or the ignition system has worn components that won't stand the voltage lose and combustion ignition is suffering from that.

What motor?
New batteries (3), the motor was completely rebuilt 6 months ago, hopefully the cap & rotor was replaced but I’ll check. Thank you for the great feedback!!

DB / HAV

Reaction score
My guess is the battery. These newfangled engines take a bunch of amps to run perfect. My buddy has a newer 115 Merc on his fishing boat and it does the same thing, not that he feels it but I certainly do. I've mentioned a better battery but we hardly have to trim much at all fishing.
I have 3 new interstate batteries, I’ll check the draw under load. Thank you!