WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Outerlimits new OB 29 Vee. SICK.

Tank

Reaction score
Damn this thing came out nice. I find outboards ruin the sleek lines of the vast majority of performance boats but this thing flows so nicely. 97 out the box with 300's. Not bad at all. Would be a hellova Havasu boat.

outersv29obwater-01-1024x457.jpg
outersv29obwater-02-1024x457.jpeg
outersv29obwater-03-1024x457.jpg

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around deep V performance boats with outboards. I’ll stick with I/O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That does look good.....

I agree that majority of the v bottom outboards don't flow, but this one does... Great looking sled.

Reactions: DWC

Tank

Reaction score
I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around deep V performance boats with outboards. I’ll stick with I/O

Outboards on Big Vee's is nothing new. It was ALL THE RAVE in the 80's!

I like the lines of the 29. Always have. I just never liked the single power I/O mandate. I don't much care for outboards. I like the roar of a big V8 through open exhaust. But if I was in the market for this size / type boat I'd jump at it. Twin motors, turn key, warranty, fast, etc. What's not to like?

Tank

Reaction score
my problem with the outboard V's is how the hell do you get in and out of it if you want to hang in the water
Valid point. It would be a bitch to crawl up over the motors to get back in the boat. Doable. But not very fun.

poncho

Reaction score

I like the lines of the 29. Always have. I just never liked the single power I/O mandate. I don't much care for outboards. I like the roar of a big V8 through open exhaust. But if I was in the market for this size / type boat I'd jump at it. Twin motors, turn key, warranty, fast, etc. What's not to like?
My style of boating here in New England has shifted more to the center console for offshore fishing but the SV29 still sits on my bucket list with a big inch naturally aspirated fire breather, IMHO the best looking hull in that size.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
my problem with the outboard V's is how the hell do you get in and out of it if you want to hang in the water
Definitely different with a CC, but the title boat is a non-starter for me for the reason above. I absolutely love it, want to drive it, but doesn't seem like a Havasu boat for my tribe.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
LOL. The CC's have the stand off brackets 9 times out of 10 and many have ladders on the sides. Plus most even have doors for access to the step / bracket. You dont even need to crawl over an engine hatch! ;)
View attachment 937130 View attachment 937131 View attachment 937132 View attachment 937133 View attachment 937134

You are right, but it varies. Some have good rear entry options, some don’t. Completely depends on the boat design.

Honestly the boat here does not really seem any more or less useable than a typical closed bow DCB of a similar size in Havasu.

PlanB

Reaction score

I would not boat in the ocean without twins. I have done it in the past, and even crossed the border to go down into Mexican waters, but I would not do it today. Maybe I am a little older and wiser now, but I won't go out into the big blue without at least twins (I/O or O/B). BTW, this boat is pretty sweet!

poncho

Reaction score
I would not boat in the ocean without twins. I have done it in the past, and even crossed the border to go down into Mexican waters, but I would not do it today. Maybe I am a little older and wiser now, but I won't go out into the big blue without at least twins (I/O or O/B). BTW, this boat is pretty sweet!
I'm a commercial fisherman, in my 25 years I have worked on one boat with a single engine, that boat had a mechanical issue in the Gulf of Alaska and I said I would never come out here again without 2 engines.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I'm a commercial fisherman, in my 25 years I have worked on one boat with a single engine, that boat had a mechanical issue in the Gulf of Alaska and I said I would never come out here again without 2 engines.
Didn’t even have a kicker motor?

My family lodge boats are all twin 300 or 350s with a 10 hp kicker and sometimes shit happens and the kicker is all that takes you home

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Damn this thing came out nice. I find outboards ruin the sleek lines of the vast majority of performance boats but this thing flows so nicely. 97 out the box with 300's. Not bad at all. Would be a hellova Havasu boat.

View attachment 937084 View attachment 937085 View attachment 937086
The only negative i can see is that west coast is all about in and out of the water, and I’m sure there’s some step on the rear but still in and out of that would be a total pita but she’s absolutely gorgeous beyond all that.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I wonder if dual outboards would be more stable than they are with the single outdrive?

Counterrotating twins should make that boat a sweet ride.

I spent enough time driving my buddy’s with a 565/ITS package and it’s a pad boat, and needs to be driven as such with a single.

The aforementioned boat won its class at LOTO 2012 with Mike Fiore driving, turning in a 99 MPH run on the mile course.

We got it to 101 on a long run in WI with a custom prop that got wrecked at LOTO because it hit the cav plate🤬

I’m guessing Dan will find a couple more MPH with props and setup yet.

Maybe if there’s interest in this model they’ll incorporate swim steps into each bustle.

I hope it takes off for them. Imagine 100 mph on 87 octane fuel. What’s not to like about that? And twin V8’s cranking 6400 has to sound bitchin.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Speaking from experience the OL 29 v-bottom handles Havasu like its nothing. We've blown past other people doing about 12 mph in their boat just trying to keep the bow out of the rollers. We're doing 50-60 in the same water and hardly feel a bump. That bottom is insane, but it is an offshore bottom after all.

It handles the ocean just fine as well, did a few Catalina runs and really nice ride out there as well. In fact I think the hull benefits even more from the buoyancy in salt water.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Didn’t even have a kicker motor?

My family lodge boats are all twin 300 or 350s with a 10 hp kicker and sometimes shit happens and the kicker is all that takes you home
If you have twin's why would you need a kicker? Chances of killing both motors is pretty slim right?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
If you have twin's why would you need a kicker? Chances of killing both motors is pretty slim right?

Shakes head

Literally it’s happened. And the captains troll with the kicker while the clients are fishing.

Tank

Reaction score
So its a 27 and a half foot boat.

It does look sweet.

UD
Is that what the original running surface was? I know OL counts the bustle and this thing still has a quasi bustle.

HB2LHC

Reaction score
I love it. I bet it handles better at high speeds also. I would get one with a removable open bow. Close it up for the ocean and open it up for havasu.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Is that what the original running surface was? I know OL counts the bustle and this thing still has a quasi bustle.

I've been told when the 29 gets where the bottom is really working as designed there's only 12 feet of hull actually contacting water.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I love it. I bet it handles better at high speeds also. I would get one with a removable open bow. Close it up for the ocean and open it up for havasu.
Like that M35 DCB built with the removable deck panel? That would be ideal. Seal it with a gasket so it's watertight for big blue

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I think so, they look pretty small in person. Narrow too

When Eliminator built that hybrid 30 eagle with the SV29 bottom, they had a massive bustle at the rear overhanging the #6 drive. They also had to section the deck mold and take some width out to get it to marry up to the SV29 bottom

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

I dont recall exctly, but its a pretty small 29.

I remember when it appeared on scene was some controversy around the tape measure, and the numbers it put up with a merc 600. The eliminator guys pointed out that it had a merc 700 computer in it, and subsequent merc 600 builds didnt put up the same speed as the brochure boat.

Then there is the whole paint Vs Gel thing...and the use of the word autoclave when the correct word would be oven or heated room.

Then one ended up upside down.

The boat is fast though and twins help make a small fast V easier to drive so on that front its probably pretty easy to drive compared to a single engine V

Looks bitchin though and nice work from that team and an impressive number.

hallett21

Reaction score
Bitchen boat and IMO not bad to get in and out of. Throw some Black Sea deck on the rear corner and you can step on the trim tab.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Looks like a different transom - heres the I/O back end and see verbiage.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.32.21 AM.png
p271150678-4.jpg

Outerlimits40

Reaction score

I remember when it appeared on scene was some controversy around the tape measure, and the numbers it put up with a merc 600. The eliminator guys pointed out that it had a merc 700 computer in it, and subsequent merc 600 builds didnt put up the same speed as the brochure boat.

Then there is the whole paint Vs Gel thing...and the use of the word autoclave when the correct word would be oven or heated room.

The boat is fast though and twins help make a small fast V easier to drive so on that front its probably pretty easy to drive compared to a single engine V

The boat actually measures 30’ 1” from bow to the end of the bustle. The orange SV29 did run 100+ with a stock 600SCI and it ran 109mph with the stage 3 kit. I was in the boat every test. As Jonny said with a worked prop the stock 565 boat ran 99mph. My personal SV29 ran 96mph with a stock 565 with a bone stock Maximus and a slightly lower prop shaft height. It would have gone faster with the drive higher and prop testing. It sure surprised bigger boats on poker runs. At Outerlimits we post cure every boat in an oven, not an Autoclave, as we use epoxy resins. As far as I am aware, we are still the only manufacture post curing in an oven. Thank you everyone for your comments. We are really excited for this new OB version and I will guarantee you it will hit 100mph. These new Mercury Racing 300Rs run incredible.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The boat actually measures 30’ 1” from bow to the end of the bustle. The orange SV29 did run 100+ with a stock 600SCI and it ran 109mph with the stage 3 kit. I was in the boat every test. As Jonny said with a worked prop the stock 565 boat ran 99mph. My personal SV29 ran 96mph with a stock 565 with a bone stock Maximus and a slightly lower prop shaft height. It would have gone faster with the drive higher and prop testing. It sure surprised bigger boats on poker runs. At Outerlimits we post cure every boat in an oven, not an Autoclave, as we use epoxy resins. As far as I am aware, we are still the only manufacture post curing in an oven. Thank you everyone for your comments. We are really excited for this new OB version and I will guarantee you it will hit 100mph. These new Mercury Racing 300Rs run incredible.

When you say bow do you mean the very tip or the bow eye?

lavey jr

Reaction score

From an actual owner of an OL SV29 who has done actual measurements... If you subtract the length of the bustle and the notch in the transom the running surface is 26’ 9”

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
From an actual owner of an OL SV29 who has done actual measurements... If you subtract the length of the bustle and the notch in the transom the running surface is 26’ 9”

The OB version currently has the notch filled.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The OB version currently has the notch filled.

So then its about 27.5 feet from the bow eye to the drain plug.

I can see why they would come to 29 if you split the boat between the upper and the lower.

Most companies market the upper. No surprise.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Most boats with built in swim platforms, or bussels are measured from the bow to the end of the swim platform. This is standard since the early 90 's when built in swim platform became the norm. If the boat has a bolt on swim platform, its. Not counted in length. Don't understand why some people seem to be so confused.

HCP3

Reaction score

Thanks for posting. Love to hear from people in the industry.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Most boats with built in swim platforms, or bussels are measured from the bow to the end of the swim platform. This is standard since the early 90 's when built in swim platform became the norm. If the boat has a bolt on swim platform, its. Not counted in length. Don't understand why some people seem to be so confused.

There is no standard for how to measure a boat it goes back and forth between manufacturers, some even do it both ways within their own line.