WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Overnight Knee Pain

gqchris

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Yesterday morning my left knee started to become stiff at the joint. By this morning, it is super painful to touch and can barely bend it. This shit hurts!
I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. Is this Gout or some other condition? Anyone experienced this before?! Before I go to Urgent Care, Its always best to ask the resident Doctors here:)

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have strained/twisted my knee before with simple action of getting out of my car. I didn't even realize thats what happened until some months later when I did it again. Both times the knee did not swell or become painful until way later in the day or the next morning. For me it took well over a week to get better with nsaid therapy but like you I struggled to walk or put weight on it during that time.

I have always had shit knees though and know it. Hopefully no serious issues for you

lbhsbz

Reaction score
No previous injuries?…I’d go see a doc.

I’ve got one knee with a 2 page long MRI report about what’s torn inside and it’s usually fine in the summer, but as it starts cooling off a bit, I can’t hardly roll over in bed without some careful planning and help from the good leg.

gqchris

Reaction score
Just got off a video call with a Teledoc. Steroids script is being called in. and she advises 800 MG Ibuprofen and see what happens after weekend.

You guys gave me more info here then she did to be honest. :rolleyes:

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I'm having same problem. Don't remember injuring it. Knee swelled up and wearing good brace. Can walk ok one second and fall over in pain the next. Swelling going to ankle.
Is it red or hot?
My knee "clicks" at times and pain goes away
My neighbor is a doctor and first said maybe gout. pseudogout?
Been taking 800 ibuprofen
Have a visit with my family doctor on tuesday

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Take 4 advils an hour before bed. That should do the trick. Forget the steroids

you arent a pup anymore. Shit hurts sometimes but if it becomes chronic maybe an MRI is in order

gqchris

Reaction score
I'm having same problem. Don't remember injuring it. Knee swelled up and wearing good brace. Can walk ok one second and fall over in pain the next. Swelling going to ankle.
Is it red or hot?
My knee "clicks" at times and pain goes away
My neighbor is a doctor and first said maybe gout. pseudogout?
Been taking 800 ibuprofen
Have a visit with my family doctor on tuesday
Keep me posted 185EZ, same thing here almost exact , no redness or heat, it does look a little swollen but hard to tell.

gqchris

Reaction score
Take 4 advils an hour before bed. That should do the trick. Forget the steroids

you arent a pup anymore. Shit hurts sometimes but if it becomes chronic maybe an MRI is in order

Thanks sir. Yea Im not to keen on hitting up the Steroids right away. Amazing how quick they script that out.

gqchris

Reaction score
Could it be a sting or bite?
She asked that also, and no signs of any bite from visual inspection. Wish it was so it would make more sense.

If I move my knee cap sideways back and forth it hurts like hell!!!

4Waters

Reaction score
My daughter had an infection 4 years ago that I had never heard about, it's called Septic Arthritis. She had it in her rt hip, very painful and very stiff joint, she was the youngest patient at USC and one of the youngest in the US to get it. It usually settles in the large joints, knee, hip or shoulder. Watch your temp, if it elevates go in to the ER.

gqchris

Reaction score
My daughter had an infection 4 years ago that I had never heard about, it's called Septic Arthritis. She had it in her rt hip, very painful and very stiff joint, she was the youngest patient at USC and one of the youngest in the US to get it. It usually settles in the large joints, knee, hip or shoulder. Watch your temp, if it elevates go in to the ER.
Thanks 4Waters, good to know. I am on my Temperature like a hawk. Will head in if it gets elevated. How ya feeling? Back to 100%?

24ultra

Reaction score
My first thought was bursitis. The bursa sac can become inflamed and cause pain/irritation and may present with warmth to the affected area. Sometimes just simple repetitive movements like walking or bending can cause the irritation 🤷🏼‍♂️

gqchris

Reaction score
My first thought was bursitis. The bursa sac can become inflamed and cause pain/irritation and may present with warmth to the affected area. Sometimes just simple repetitive movements like walking or bending can cause the irritation 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks yea that came up on my google search when I started out. I have done a bit more walking this last week trying to stay active, but nothing crazy. Most of time I am sitting at my desk with damn work! LOL

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If it doesn’t go away after a few days of Ibuprofen I would go see an orthopedic sports surgeon. A GP will just give you a script and send you on your way. Which it sounds exactly like what they did, lol.

I’ve had floating pieces of cartilage floating around in my knee before. When one piece got caught between the knee cap and the bone it would lock up my joint and left me crying for momma. A quick 30 minute orthoscopic surgery took care of that. Been pain free for 8 years now 😬

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Make the next appointment with an orthopedic doctor. GP docs will just throw pills at the problem which is usually, at best, a temporary solution.

Could be any number of things, from a torn ligament or sprain up to rheumatism.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
My wife gets gout in her foot and knee, two bottles of pure concentrated cherry juice she gets at wally world, and it's gone in two days, usually for several months.
Wife gives out tart cherry vitamins all the time for it.
My neighbor is a orthepedic surgeon in canada. His first thought was gout without being able to see it.
Also said uric acid can build up behind knee cap. Most commonly caused by too much beer. That would make sense for me lol

rrrr

Reaction score
You should take the dosepak. It'll knock down the inflammation, and it's not going to kill you.

gqchris

Reaction score
Make the next appointment with an orthopedic doctor. GP docs will just throw pills at the problem which is usually, at best, a temporary solution.

Could be any number of things, from a torn ligament or sprain up to rheumatism.

Yea I am glad you brought up Rhematism. So this last week, my left eye has been red. My best friend is an eye Dr, and he tells me its just inflmmatoryand have I ever asked my dr about Rhematoid Arthritis? I have been having ever so slight headaches also.

Input all those symptoms into google and Psoriasis Arthritis comes up top all the time. I do have some scalp redness at times, have had since I was a teen. Last week noticed a break out also. Maybe this is some sort of autoimmune response going on.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Just got off a video call with a Teledoc. Steroids script is being called in. and she advises 800 MG Ibuprofen and see what happens after weekend.

You guys gave me more info here then she did to be honest. :rolleyes:
Just talked to my orthopedic doctor
He would not take steroids for a sore knee unless proven to have rheumatoid arthritis.
they will make you feel better temporarily but cause other problems.
ibuprofen in non steroidal anibiotic inflammatory and ok to take

gqchris

Reaction score
He would not take steroids for a sore knee unless proven to have rheumatoid arthritis.

Great Info sir. Hows yours feeling today?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Great Info sir. Hows yours feeling today?
Still swollen but no sharp pain yet. It comes and goes. Not sure how much the brace helps but it feels good.
It did quite a bit of yard work yesterday. I'm stubborn lol
You can see the lump on one side of the knee and ankle still swollen
Also make sure you take food with the ibuprofen
knee.jpg
knee brace.jpg

Last edited:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Yesterday morning my left knee started to become stiff at the joint. By this morning, it is super painful to touch and can barely bend it. This shit hurts!
I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. Is this Gout or some other condition? Anyone experienced this before?! Before I go to Urgent Care, Its always best to ask the resident Doctors here:)
My knee all of a sudden became sore and I could barely walk without a limp. Took x rays with no issues. Turns out it was my IT band muscle that runs down your leg from your backside to the knee. Bought one of those massage power vibrators and it helps.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Make sure you don’t have fluid in your knee. That would cause your symptoms. Very painful!

This works really good.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Still swollen but no sharp pain yet. It comes and goes. Not sure how much the brace helps but it feels good.
It did quite a bit of yard work yesterday. I'm stubborn lol
You can see the lump on one side of the knee and ankle still swollen
Also make sure you take food with the ibuprofen View attachment 1045520 View attachment 1045521

Get something like this. They work wonders, you won’t regret it.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
About a month ago I stepped out of my truck and my knee hurt like hell and could barely put any weight on it. It hurt all day and when I got home I couldn’t lay it flat on the sofa, I had to put a pillow under it to support it just slightly above the back of my knee. It was swollen like yours. In bed I couldn’t lay on my side as any lateral movement hurt like hell. Luckily I’m a back sleeper and I just put a sofa pillow behind my knee. I’m too stupid to go to the doctor so I waited it out and now it’s almost back to normal. Who knows what’s wrong with me? I did google it and like it was said before it could be a blood clot, but I’m still kicking, hopefully it’s not running around my body now. I did use some CBD cream which did take most of the sharpness out of the pain and made it a little more manageable. Good luck, getting old sucks and it’s not for pussies (pussys? neither looks right).

shunter2005

Reaction score
Few years ago we went on a cruise to the V.I. My right knee had been a little tight and swollen (some pain) before the cruise, but it got much worse as the cruise progressed. I was eating Advil like they were M&M's. Took a knee brace with me and used it, but the pain and swelling got even worse when wearing it. We went on an snorkeling excursion and I managed to use fins and did a little snorkeling. To my amazement, when I got out of the water the pain was considerably less. Next day the knee was completely pain free and the swelling was gone. Don't know if it was the resistence with the fins or the salt water or both, but if you have access to a salt water pool and some swim fins, it might help your knee. Just a thought for you.

JD D05

Reaction score
If you don't already have gout it would be unlikely that it hit your knee first but not impossible. My attacks were bad before I got it under control. A few even very powerful pain meds just took the edge off. Prednisone would stop a mild attack, gout comes from foods high in purine.

I have had 6 knee surgeries. Also had my knee drained a few times. If it is fluid you should be able to easily visible see swelling.

rrrr

Reaction score

With long term use, yeah. But a single dosepak isn't going to cause any issues.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Gout…ask me how I know. Call the urgent care and get some meds to flush the Uric acid out of your body. In the meantime avoid beer (at all costs) and drink a ton of water. The meds will having you feeling good again in a day or so.

Hey Guys,

JD D05

Reaction score
Gout…ask me how I know. Call the urgent care and get some meds to flush the Uric acid out of your body. In the meantime avoid beer (at all costs) and drink a ton of water. The meds will having you feeling good again in a day or so.

If it is gout go to the urgent care and demand a shot of toradol.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I'll bet $$$ you aren't wearing at least 2 masks.

DWC

Reaction score
Wish I could say it was from a bender. But havent drank much at all in 3-4 months. Lol
Found your problem. :oops: JK., Hope you’re alright. Hand and legs issues absolutely suck.
Getting older is a SOB. Random shit popping or sore. Lift something wrong and it hurts for a week.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I took it EZ this weekend and swelling went down in my ankle.
Doc says I have a miniscal tear under the knee cap.
I could have had it or just put a lot of stress on it and it got inflammed.
The swelling is fluid in the knee.
Since it's slowly improving she doesn't want to be poking around in there or having surgery but she set up an appt with the orthopedic surgeon if things don't improve
She said the brace and 800 ibuprofen is great.

gqchris

Reaction score
I took it EZ this weekend and swelling went down in my ankle.
Doc says I have a miniscal tear under the knee cap.
I could have had it or just put a lot of stress on it and it got inflammed.
The swelling is fluid in the knee.
Since it's slowly improving she doesn't want to be poking around in there or having surgery but she set up an appt with the orthopedic surgeon if things don't improve
She said the brace and 800 ibuprofen is great.
Great to hear sir!!

Mine has improved by about 80% also just with a brace and 800 Ibu as well. Thanks for that tip. Weird how it just arrived and flared up. My right lower back now is sore because I have been favoring my right leg for the last few days which tweaked my back a bit. Guess cant win when we get old!

I ended up filling my Steroid prescription and keeping in case of Covid needs, guess its always good to have on hand!