WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Overpower?

clarence

Reaction score
I'm thinking to build a Formula 240BR with an Ilmor 430.

Just wondering if I might ask Formula if they'd build me one with a Ilmor 480 instead (as offered with the 270BR).

They don't offer it as an option - any idea why?

Any guess what another 50HP would do for performance?

I'm thinking the cost (+$6,400) worth it if it improves acceleration and cruising speed, and gets top end from 55 to 60 mph.

But maybe that's silly as it's just not a performance boat?

Thanks.

https://www.formulaboats.com/240-bowrider/overview

https://www.formulaboats.com/build/...Hullside Flagship Graphic B/F903B/ILB/summary

Dalton

Reaction score
if youre planning to keep the boat a long time, I would stick with mercruiser, and be looking at either the 8.2 MAG or the mercruiser 520

farmo83

Reaction score
I would bet it's just not economical for them to offer it, If you ask I'll bet they will do it. Most boat builders are willing to do anything if the check is big enough.

clarence

Reaction score
Why's that, Dalton?

I read only good things about Ilmor. And I like the matching One Drive.

I'd expect the advice to stick with the more familiar Mercury (for resale) if I thought I might keep the boat only a short time.

Do you fear Ilmor support might not be there over a long time?

I did email Formula and ask, farmo, but got only the stock answer back that wasn't offered as an option.

Once sure I'm interested, I'll more seriously approach them.

I'd even go with the Merc 520 if was convinced was worth it, but assume the hull is a constraint at some point and so wouldn't be.

Thanks.

Dalton

Reaction score
long term/short term parts availability, people knowing how to work on it if you're away from your normal dealer/service center

Reactions: DWC

clarence

Reaction score
Ilmor is pretty well established, Dalton. They've been the exclusive provider of engines for Mastercraft since 2010, and have probably delivered ~20,000 engines just to them by now.

And I don't expect to travel away from my dealer/service center much (if at all).

Shouldn't be an issue.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
There is one huge advantage to go with a Merc 520 over the Ilmor 430-480,,, No catalytic converters !
Boat motors over 500 hp do not need them at this time. That alone would sway me to the 520 for a new build. And yes, there have been a ton of issues with the cats on these new boats. And they are very expensive to replace.

clarence

Reaction score
Hadn't thought of that.

The 520 isn't offered either, and would require a different drive (which makes it less of a drop in replacement).

But really goes back to the question: will a non-performance hull really benefit from increased hp?

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
My guess is that on the 24' model Formula has had better results with the 6.2L small block. The 7.4L big block with only 50 additional horsepower is probably about the same performance wise due to the additional weight. That weight can also affect boat handling. Formula is pretty good at R&D, I am sure they have tested the 24 with the big block and decided it really did not offer much of an advantage so it's not on their option list.

As others have said if that's what you really want they will probably build it that way. If it were me I would stick with the 6.2L package. I don't think the cost justify's the small performance gain you may get, probably use more fuel at cruising speed and top end as well.

farmo83

Reaction score
Yes it will benefit, the question are you willing to pay for that benefit.

For 6,400 bucks I would do it. Most folks on this board are paying WAY more then that to go up 50 horsepower. For comparison purposes price out putting a 520 in there (roughly another 50 hp) and I'm willing to bet the bump in price is quite a bit more then 6,400.

clarence

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm comparing like-to-like (excludes drives?), but seems the 483hp Ilmor lighter than the Formula offered 430hp Mercruiser.

Ilmor 7.4L (483hp), 1,085lbs
Ilmor 6.2L (430hp), 940lbs

+53hp, +145lbs

Mercury Racing 8.6L (520hp), 1,218lbs
Mercury Mercruiser 8.2L (430hp), 1,122lbs

+90hp, +96lbs

Though the Mercury bump buys more than twice the hp/lb.

Hmm.

Looks like the Mercury bump would be ~$10K. And realized the Ilmor upcharge is probably only $5,200 after Formula's 20% discount.

Guess I really do need to talk to Formula and ask what they think.

I appreciate all the advice.

clarence

Reaction score
I haven't yet, Dalton.

I'm still overseas and a year away from retiring, so not moving very quickly.

And still trying to justify a performance boat (Skater 28), even though pretty sure the Formula would be better fit (female-friendly).

daveb1

Reaction score
wait until you come back and check for the latest developments by then Ilmor and Mecury may longer offer Chevy based big blocks

clarence

Reaction score
Yeah, it's undoubtedly premature to plan too far ahead. But fun to think about.

And I do very much like the Laveycraft 24 NuEra. That's in the running as well.