WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Overpriced home weights

traquer

Reaction score
Looked at some prices on CL and people want thousands for a few weights... WTF

Anyone know a store that sells or ships?

I'm doing pushups and pull-ups and everything but I'd love to do some heavy curls...

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

I'm doing pushups and pull-ups and everything but I'd love to do some heavy curls...

So do chin ups in stead of pull ups. Plenty of home remedy things. If I weren't such a lazy ass right now I'd be doing burpees instead of those push ups.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Swing by an auto repair shop and grab a couple brake rotors out of their scrap bin

Or, take a Plastic trash bag, fill to required weight. Grab some old T shirts, or better yet an old towel. Wrap water filled trash bag with towel, make a knot at the top, curl to your hearts content.

PlanB

Reaction score
My gym closed a few weeks ago. I went to a gym supply place in San Diego and bought dumbells and a bench. Cost me a grand, but the place was getting cleaned out quickly. It was money well spent.

When I was deployed, we used sand bags and a tent pole. Tie a loop on top of the bags, and hang them on the pole. You could actually do a decent workout with just that. A piece of pipe and some bags with sand would work, and you can probably find stuff at Home Depot, Lowes etc...

traquer

Reaction score
Or, take a Plastic trash bag, fill to required weight. Grab some old T shirts, or better yet an old towel. Wrap water filled trash bag with towel, make a knot at the top, curl to your hearts content.

I like this idea.
My gym closed a few weeks ago. I went to a gym supply place in San Diego and bought dumbells and a bench. Cost me a grand, but the place was getting cleaned out quickly. It was money well spent.

When I was deployed, we used sand bags and a tent pole. Tie a loop on top of the bags, and hang them on the pole. You could actually do a decent workout with just that. A piece of pipe and some bags with sand would work, and you can probably find stuff at Home Depot, Lowes etc...

I like this idea the best. I actually have some huge home depot 72" pry bars, probably weigh 40lbs each. I'll try those first, wrap them with some cloth and hang the bags on the end. If the shape doesn't work I'll just get some heavy pipe.

playdeep

Reaction score
Local fitness superstore keeps selling out.
Last week mgr.said over 29 thousand pounds worth.
Have no store bought weights so gotta improvise.
Tons of push ups@different inversion angles.
Pull ups&chin ups.
I also have a couple of vintage Jerry cans that I put water in.Take the Jack handle off my Harbor freight floor jack&slide it between them for curls.
Also good for fireman carry's.Just have to be careful with the balance.
It's kind of fun figuring out new ways to exercise...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@t&y went straight yard bird... :cool:

For the equivalent, there are also "doorway gyms" They hang up, and you can do pull ups, chin ups and parallel grip. Hold knees bent at a 90, and work core while doing a parallel grip. Cheap and will kick your butt...kind of depends on your body weight though, I'm 220.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Lengths of chain, those stretchy bands, gallon jugs of water.

I think Craigslist is still the right place. Just keep watching. I'd say garage sales, but I guess those are stopped for now...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Kinda sad that only a handful of us still get the Aharon joke.😕
... OK I give...what is it???... Or now that I think about it do I really want to know???..,

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
@Bowtiepower00 has a nice setup for sale...in Phoenix. Not cheap, but worth the asking price...

*SPAM ALERT*
I’ve got a complete home gym in the classifieds. Will not separate, if you’re looking for a complete setup and and are willing to pick up in PHX here it is. Not cheap, but I feel the price is reasonable.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

I have a few weights in the basement out at the ranch. I imagine about 300 lbs. bench, oly. bar, ez curl and maybe a squat rack. I could bring them to Parker.

When I head back out I'll get a few pix or what's all there.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
A 5 gallon bucket with however much weight you want tied to a piece of closet rod will do all you ask ....for two bucks.

Beat me to it. 5gal buckets, sand, water or mix up a bag or two of sack Crete, milk jugs with sack crete. Most of the plastic coated weights are just filled with concrete anyway.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Beat me to it. 5gal buckets, sand, water or mix up a bag or two of sack Crete, milk jugs with sack crete. Most of the plastic coated weights are just filled with concrete anyway.

The term "Inmate" has been thrown arround here on RDP for quite some time. Only now it seems to be taking on a whole new meaning. 😣

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I drilled a hole through 2 of the landscape blocks from my retaining wall, put a tie strap through them and made a 55# kettle bell. I had 2 15 gallon water barrels I used for extra water in my toy hauler and put a galvanized pipe I had through the handles and did about 200# squats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
This was posted on the concrete page earlier.
Screenshot_20200405-150602_Samsung Internet.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
I also like the wood cutting idea. Either that or start digging a ditch by hand. lol you never know when it'll come in handy

rrrr

Reaction score
My wife is using two 28 lb boxes of kitty litter for weights. :p

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Try Rucking. For a serious workout, Load a backpack with +20 # and go for a hike. Go “Rucking“ a few times each week and you’ll see your all around leg strength and stamina grow big time....

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I ordered a set at Dicks. Picked them up at their store.
Screenshot_20200406-215323.jpg

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Looks like they’ve got a few things in stock, thanks for the suggestion [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score

The problem with this is you have to support Dicks. I think their name says it all about their support for the second amendment. They will never see a dollar from me.

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ Looks like the last one is sold out, and Walmart only has a couple of weights available in the set. Same problem I was seeing a few weeks ago when I was looking.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I've been trying here in Vegas for the last three weeks.......

pronstar

Reaction score
As much as I refuse to shop at Dick’s due to their 2A stance, I broke down and got this dip station for our growing home gym.

IMG_4247.JPG

Im gonna buy some weights for cheap off Craigslist once this virus shit is over...I just hope the deals come quick, and not years later after people are sick of unused weights taking up space.

We’re really digging home workouts and will likely cancel our gym memberships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nordie

Reaction score
I've got a couple #18 peices of rebar, they should be good for dumbells. They're 2'6" long and weigh 13.7lbs per foot. Free to a good home lol

450grip

Reaction score

450grip

Reaction score
Supplement the plates in the video for cinderblocks or ???
We’ve been messing with all kinds of home exercise ideas. This works pretty good

PlanB

Reaction score
24 Hour Fitness just charged us monthly dues for the second time sine they have been closed. Cock suckers...

pronstar

Reaction score
24 Hour Fitness just charged us monthly dues for the second time sine they have been closed. Cock suckers...

I’d protest that for sure.

LA fitness automatically stopped charging, won’t start back up until a Club in my are opens.

PlanB

Reaction score
I’d protest that for sure.

LA fitness automatically stopped charging, won’t start back up until a Club in my are opens.

They stated they are stopping payments the 16th of this month, right after the second payment was taken from our account. Supposedly there is a lawsuit coming down the pipe.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Geez, I have over 1,000 lbs in dumbbells. At the prices I'm seeing ($2.50/lb) I'm thinking about selling.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Why? They're still charging people lol

sounds like they were in trouble before all this mess started...... which is why they are probably the only gym that kept charging during the shutdown lol