WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

P Traps for your own personal RV cleanout attached to Septic

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yes or No? My thought is "why not", just one extra layer of methane gas protection. I know you can't leave open Blank Tank gate valves for the "poovolcano" factor, but why couldn't you leave open the grey? Or leave the grey open long enough to get through a couple of hot showers in a row between the wife and I. My grey fills pretty fast.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
No way, a P-Trap will reduce the flow and create backup in the line when dumping. if you are gonna run a P-trap you better have a damn good connection between your RV drain hose and the ground connection, otherwise you are gonna have a nasty ass mess on your hands. You won't be able to connect with the standard "step elbow" if you are running a p-trap, you need a very positive connection

I would just put a decent cap on it and forget about the headache of a p-trap

LazyLavey

Reaction score
If I read this right your rv should have P traps on all drains....and a valve with a rubber diaphragm usually under the kitchen and bath sinks to prevent back Flo of fragrance from your Grau tank...

In sub freezing weather it's often recommended to leave a faucet trickling and gray open to prevent freezing

I often leave my gray open my entire stay....

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Normally no p traps on rv clean out drains to your septic tanks. You don’t want any restriction when dumping that would cause it to find “other exits”. Heh.

As far as leaving tanks open? Nah you always want some water in your tanks.

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
No way, a P-Trap will reduce the flow and create backup in the line when dumping. if you are gonna run a P-trap you better have a damn good connection between your RV drain hose and the ground connection, otherwise you are gonna have a nasty ass mess on your hands. You won't be able to connect with the standard "step elbow" if you are running a p-trap, you need a very positive connection

I would just put a decent cap on it and forget about the headache of a p-trap

I am somewhat hard wired... But I think I will leave out the P Trap

drains.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Yes or No? My thought is "why not", just one extra layer of methane gas protection. I know you can't leave open Blank Tank gate valves for the "poovolcano" factor, but why couldn't you leave open the grey? Or leave the grey open long enough to get through a couple of hot showers in a row between the wife and I. My grey fills pretty fast.
I am somewhat hard wired... But I think I will leave out the P Trap

View attachment 1061466

In your case i think you could definitely make an "external p trap" for the grey if you are staying semi-permanently hooked up. I thought you meant putting in an underground p-trap for your hookup, in which case that's a big NO. You should be totally fine for running the sinks or showers in that manner.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
In your case i think you could definitely make an "external p trap" for the grey if you are staying semi-permanently hooked up. I thought you meant putting in an underground p-trap for your hookup, in which case that's a big NO. You should be totally fine for running the sinks or showers in that manner.

Thanks for the advise.... I definitely get a hit of sewer smell whenever I have to pull the gate valves, I assumed it from the RV vents up on the roof. It also seems like an empty tank can let gasses through the gate valve the way that I am semi-permanently attached. So the P trap would be between the RV and the septic tank. The Ptrap would be under ground as part of the sewer line that heads about 35 feet into the septic tank. I have to redo all this because I am moving the RV about 10 feet over from where it is.

OR are you saying the p trap needs to be above ground before it attaches to the cleanout/sewer line? If I can't put it underground, probably just a dumb idea.

drains.jpg

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Take yore flexible sewer and bend p trap in it between the stands that keep it off the ground

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise.... I definitely get a hit of sewer smell whenever I have to pull the gate valves, I assumed it from the RV vents up on the roof. It also seems like an empty tank can let gasses through the gate valve the way that I am semi-permanently attached. So the P trap would be between the RV and the septic tank. The Ptrap would be under ground as part of the sewer line that heads about 35 feet into the septic tank. I have to redo all this because I am moving the RV about 10 feet over from where it is.

OR are you saying the p trap needs to be above ground before it attaches to the cleanout/sewer line? If I can't put it underground, probably just a dumb idea.

View attachment 1061484

I would leave the P trap above ground that way you only use it when you are permanently attached, when you are doing a normal dump after travel etc you want an unobstructed flow

fmo24

Reaction score
We park for several months in winter. You can leave a droop in sewer hose that is effectively a p trap. I never leave either tank open unless we are doing laundry. I then close so there is always grey water when black is ready to be drained

calkid

Reaction score
Like Blue says, I kick the center of my grey hose off the stand and leave the valve open. The tank drains as needed but no sewer smell in the rig.
Kind of an instant trap with what you already have.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If I read this right your rv should have P traps on all drains....and a valve with a rubber diaphragm usually under the kitchen and bath sinks to prevent back Flo of fragrance from your Grau tank...

In sub freezing weather it's often recommended to leave a faucet trickling and gray open to prevent freezing

I often leave my gray open my entire stay....
thank you,.... the gray is designed to be left open,... you could do the black if you put a water closet type, residential toilet... rv toilets are desigened to use minimal water, where as res. toilet use a gallon or so each flush... If I was full timing snow bird,... thats what I would do is staying in one spt.... biggers problem is the room for the toilet tank.... you could put a res.. toilet in the back of your truck if you wanted... they don't care where they are

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I would leave the P trap above ground that way you only use it when you are permanently attached, when you are doing a normal dump after travel etc you want an unobstructed flow
lmfao.... P traps don't work in shitters...fuck...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
thank you,.... the gray is designed to be left open,... you could do the black if you put a water closet type, residential toilet... rv toilets are desigened to use minimal water, where as res. toilet use a gallon or so each flush... If I was full timing snow bird,... thats what I would do is staying in one spt.... biggers problem is the room for the toilet tank.... you could put a res.. toilet in the back of your truck if you wanted... they don't care where they are

I think at times the plumbing vents that extend from the rv waste pipes to the outside of the RV roof etc... Warm stale day with all the windows open on the RV and the Grey water gate valve open can give off some odor from the septic even though its designed just as you are advising. The gas isn't coming up inside the RV, its just venting as designed and I am outside waffing in it. I actually think I have one of the bathroom sinks waste pipe vent on the side of the trailer not the roof. I was just looking for one more way to effectively block all sewer gas. I have to dig it up and redo it anyway...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
toilets are by design to have a bowl of clean water to cap the sewer gas.... noticable when a house set empty and the toilets dry out the sewer smell comes in the house,,,, as far as RV's go.... every gray water drain has a p trap.... most people dont know that before you hit the road you have to fill the p traps on every drain... I take a gallon jug of water and pour a couple cups down the shower drail or the smell from the gray tank will come inside the rv...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
just so people know..... putting a p trap in your drain hose will do nothing.... in order for a p trap to work, you have to have a clean water cap... having shit on both sides of the P trap does nothing but make your RV smell like shit....got it ???

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Its simple, in the summer if I leave open the gray gate and there is no wind I can smell the sewer... If I close it it goes away. I just figured it is gassing up through the rv plumbing vent just like it is designed to.

I have a separate Grey tank and gate value and I have access to the rv clean out pipe under ground. I could put in a P trap that only the Grey water tank would use. Seemed like a simple solution, I have to dig it all up and move it so I was looking to make an improvement if it would help.

I will just close the gate valve and go empty it about every other shower.

Its also a new septic that is 1500 gallons and its probably not even had 1000 gallons on sewage in it. Over time it should start working better as the microbes build up and do their job.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
toilets are by design to have a bowl of clean water to cap the sewer gas.... noticable when a house set empty and the toilets dry out the sewer smell comes in the house,,,, as far as RV's go.... every gray water drain has a p trap.... most people dont know that before you hit the road you have to fill the p traps on every drain... I take a gallon jug of water and pour a couple cups down the shower drail or the smell from the gray tank will come inside the rv...

just so people know..... putting a p trap in your drain hose will do nothing.... in order for a p trap to work, you have to have a clean water cap... having shit on both sides of the P trap does nothing but make your RV smell like shit....got it ???

He's talking about his grey water, and it looks like he has two separate dumps, one for grey and one for black... He says his grey is making the smell when he leaves the dump valve open so a P trap should perform the same function for him without having to go outside and open the valve daily 🤷‍♂️

I think his situation a rather unique one, as it sounds like his entire septic is using the grey line of his RV as the path of least resistance to vent it's gas buildup.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
He's talking about his grey water, and it looks like he has two separate dumps, one for grey and one for black... He says his grey is making the smell when he leaves the dump valve open so a P trap should perform the same function for him without having to go outside and open the valve daily 🤷‍♂️

I think his situation a rather unique one, as it sounds like his entire septic is using the grey line of his RV as the path of least resistance to vent it's gas buildup.
To make it worse… the Rv is the only thing on the septic. It’s the only path. Destination park type model with small tanks because it’s expected to be hooked up for long periods of time

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Its simple, in the summer if I leave open the gray gate and there is no wind I can smell the sewer... If I close it it goes away. I just figured it is gassing up through the rv plumbing vent just like it is designed to.

I have a separate Grey tank and gate value and I have access to the rv clean out pipe under ground. I could put in a P trap that only the Grey water tank would use. Seemed like a simple solution, I have to dig it all up and move it so I was looking to make an improvement if it would help.

I will just close the gate valve and go empty it about every other shower.

Its also a new septic that is 1500 gallons and its probably not even had 1000 gallons on sewage in it. Over time it should start working better as the microbes build up and do their job.
you have a p trap with no water , or,... there's a vent line un hooked or broke... also.... you might need to clean out your pipes and tank...the other thing that happens is if part of the plumbing isn't vented, or not enough vent it will suck the water out of the P trap from the other drain.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
you have a p trap with no water , or,... there's a vent line un hooked or broke... also.... you might need to clean out your pipes and tank...the other thing that happens is if part of the plumbing isn't vented, or not enough vent it will suck the water out of the P trap from the other drain.

Vent line unhooked or broke is definitely a possibility. Every thing is new including the septic and trailer. But the trailer is a new Forrest river POS so I am fixing stuff from the factory already. I will try to trace the vent lines... worth a look for sure. Thanks

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
everything smells better in the winter with highs in the 60s … so might not show back up till we bake the poop in 100 degrees again

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

could be a bad septic???? I seen one where they just drilled holes in a 55 gal drum...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I think at times the plumbing vents that extend from the rv waste pipes to the outside of the RV roof etc... Warm stale day with all the windows open on the RV and the Grey water gate valve open can give off some odor from the septic even though its designed just as you are advising. The gas isn't coming up inside the RV, its just venting as designed and I am outside waffing in it. I actually think I have one of the bathroom sinks waste pipe vent on the side of the trailer not the roof. I was just looking for one more way to effectively block all sewer gas. I have to dig it up and redo it anyway...
dig up what??? and re do what???

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
could be a bad septic???? I seen one where they just drilled holes in a 55 gal drum...
Professional installed designed and jumped through all the county health dept design and inspection… it’s less than a year old. It’s definitely not a 55 gallon drum. Modern 1500 gallon tank and 240 feet of diffuser leach line.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
dig up what??? and re do what???
I put in the underground clean out sewer line that goes to the septic knowing that once I build a 50x24x26 RV cover and deck I would have to change it. I am relocating the trailer spot about 15 feet now that I am more sure about where to permanently locate the trailer. So I will redo the sewer line. That why I was considering a p trap since I have to trench and plum it again.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'm thinking that you have the same problem as an island sink,,, If not done right it will not drain proper...some where you are getting vacume to a drain that is pulling the water out of the p trap... might need to extend the vent pipe and make sure the vent pipe doesn't have a wasp nest or some type of blockage...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I wish I had a better memory, but...

Was camping this summer and one guy in the group had a brand new motor home. He has some strange smell issue.

Turned out (I can't remember exactly how now) but they had part of his plumbing installed with no trap! 😱

I was like, no fucking way is that right! But when I googled it, it turns out a lot of new RV's are that way due to lack of room.

10lb of shit in a 5lb box. Pun intended.

😜

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Maybe time for a smoke machine!
how many sinks do you have??? easy enough to to look under them,... where I would look is at the shower drain... lot of those dump straight into the tank... put a cover over that drain... but if you look under the trailer you will be able to see it, my mercedes was that way,.. the shitter and the shower both dumpped straight into the tanks ,.. I kept a stopper in the shower drain

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
how many sinks do you have??? easy enough to to look under them,... where I would look is at the shower drain... lot of those dump straight into the tank... put a cover over that drain... but if you look under the trailer you will be able to see it, my mercedes was that way,.. the shitter and the shower both dumpped straight into the tanks ,.. I kept a stopper in the shower drain
I have 2 full baths…. The sinks both have p traps that I can verify but the shower plumbing is hidden by the black/grey tanks. I have two grey and two black for the two separate bathrooms. Forrest river Cherokee 39CA model year 2021.

I will try covering the shower drains and see what that does.. thansk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have 2 full baths…. The sinks both have p traps that I can verify but the shower plumbing is hidden by the black/grey tanks. I have two grey and two black for the two separate bathrooms. Forrest river Cherokee 39CA model year 2021.

I will try covering the shower drains and see what that does.. thansk
we use the rubber back bath /shower mat... leave it in there and pull it out when we shower... some times there is a little access with four screws right by the drain... but all you have to do is pull the hair strainer and look in there... might have to shine a light to see if it goes straight into the tank