WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paddleboards - Questions & Pics Of Outings

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
The lady wants to get a couple inflatable Paddleboards. She has paddle boarded before, I have not.

I want a decent inflateable board, but not looking to buy top of the line. It won't be a major part of my life. LOL.

What is a good brand? Are the ones at Costco good for an occasion rider?

I weigh 220. How long of a board do I need? What width and thickness should I look for. I think a minimum of 11', but I saw someone recently that had a 14'.

Thanks for the info.

Sent From Tapatalk

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest giving VoltSurf a try. They exhibit at all the Havasu Boat Shows and the Sand-Water-RV Expo. Looks like pretty good product at a reasonable price (big selection). Their headquarters is in Santa Ana 888-758-9777 -- ask for McKenna or Joe. Hope this helps.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Just bought my wife one, 11' is more stable than the 10' ones and you want 30" wide or more. She is tiny but my 225lb 6'4" butt rode her 11'x30" and I wasnt the most elegant but I got right up and cruised. I ordered ours on Amazon. Watch the weight ratings and max inflation pressure. The higher pressure, +15psi and higher weight rating means better built. Hers is a GoPlus brand. 15PSI and 352Lb weight capacity.

I keep in under the engine hatch and inflate it when we hit a cove. Buy a good electric pump. The hand pumps will kill you faster than Covid by wearing you out.

sup2.jpg

sup1.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Thanks [emoji4] He texted me a few days ago. I love my Tower inflatable paddleboard. I've had mine for 6 years with no issues.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the info. I wanted to see what people my size have for board dimensions.

Sent From Tapatalk

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Thanks [emoji4] He texted me a few days ago. I love my Tower inflatable paddleboard. I've had mine for 6 years with no issues.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

I see a lot of Tower boards in the channel I think are rentals, so they must be ok if they handle that abuse.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We are on ours at least two to three days a week. Got them online at Costco. I have been looking online for them again but they have not had them for some time now as I need a replacement since mine leaks. Ordering a new Bote or Irocker as they have way more d-rings and usable attachments. We do all day outings on ours so we like cup holders, ways to attach coolers etc. However for 399.00 the Bodyglove boards have been great. The new ones I want to order are closer to a grand each.

Super buoyant and stable. The board, not my wife. Although she does have good flotation devices although she is crappy swimmer.

Sorry about the photos of my wife it's all I have of our paddleboards! :D

20200704_104551.jpg

20200625_161040.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We are on ours at least two to three days a week. Got them online at Costco. I have been looking online for them again but they have not had them for some time now as I need a replacement since mine leaks. Ordering a new Bote or Irocker as they have way more d-rings and usable attachments. We do all day outings on ours so we like cup holders, ways to attach coolers etc. However for 399.00 the Bodyglove boards have been great. The new ones I want to order are closer to a grand each.

Super buoyant and stable. The board, not my wife. Although she does have good flotation devices although she is crappy swimmer.

Sorry about the photos of my wife it's all I have of our paddleboards! :D

View attachment 901278

View attachment 901279
You are forgiven. [emoji12][emoji12]

Agreed, I have been looking for the Costco ones. I don't want to spend much on mine, as I'm not sure how much i will actually use it. If I like it, I can buy a better board down the road.

Sent From Tapatalk

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
You are forgiven. [emoji12][emoji12]

Agreed, I have been looking for the Costco ones. I don't want to spend much on mine, as I'm not sure how much i will actually use it. If I like it, I can buy a better board down the road.

Sent From Tapatalk

From what I see they will no longer carry the BodyGlove ones like we got. Sucks as it is such a deal. People are getting 600 to a 1000 for them on Ebay. hahaha

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We have a couple of inflatables at the river, pretty easy to use and we got both on Amazon.

A few years ago, I bought a fiberglass board for my wife on her birthday from a local SUP shop in Phoenix. She won’t use an inflatable unless she absolutely has to any more.

If you aren’t packing it in the boat in order to use it, take a peek at fiberglass.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
We've had Bestway Hydroforce for years. Friends have them too and no problems
10'x33"x3" 15psi and get an electric pump. Those hand pumps suck
We love the kayak seat. We cruise the coves a lot quicker.
I thought I got a steal for $600 for both and then they went down to about $200 each and came out with a new model
Ducks love them lol
3926234622f34521ba79d3d43c483d82 (1).jpg
image0000001 (10).jpg

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
i have the inflatable Hobie one and i can even standup on it and i'm 6'4 and 300#

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Inflatables are OK if you are cognizant of the paddle and hitting the side of hull.If it's a POS brand, it's going to wear through at some point. Cant beat the convenience.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The lady wants to get a couple inflatable Paddleboards. She has paddle boarded before, I have not.

I want a decent inflateable board, but not looking to buy top of the line. It won't be a major part of my life. LOL.

What is a good brand? Are the ones at Costco good for an occasion rider?

I weigh 220. How long of a board do I need? What width and thickness should I look for. I think a minimum of 11', but I saw someone recently that had a 14'.

Thanks for the info.

Sent From Tapatalk

Lots of good info on this site and they have a good selection to choose from:

riverroyal

Reaction score
i have the cost co crap. 220 lbs here and no issues at all. The good thing is I dont care if anyone uses it, drags it down the beach, dogs on and on

2Driver

Reaction score
NRS. same guys that have been making the grand canyon rafts and other hard core inflatable rafts and yaks.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Lots of good info on this site and they have a good selection to choose from:

I have two of there Fiberglass boards. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cxr

Reaction score
soo many options. which ones are good price at a good value?

Bails

Reaction score
I have a Tower in the boat and it is OK. They have gotten better over the last 4 years. There is some good advise in this thread in regards to size and psi. I have been looking at the Isle brand as I rode a loner and it was great. I think their Megaladon would be fun in Havasu.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
x2 on the body glove. Wife has had hers for a few years. Costco or Sams club. Can't remember which. You can buy an adapter so you can use a compressor to inflate.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was able to buy 2 of the Body Glove iSUP on the Costco website for $399 a couple days ago. I kept checking the Costco website, and boom, they were there one day. They should arrive today. More to come.

Sent From Tapatalk

Last edited:

cxr

Reaction score
I was able to buy 2 of the Body Glove iSUP on the Costco website for $399 a couple days ago. I kept checking the Costco website, and boom, they were there one day. They should arrive today. More to come.

Sent From Tapatalk

Nice. They must of went fast. Cuz I tried clicking on them yesterday and kept getting an error page

707dog

Reaction score
Check with Walmart paid 260 for a XL one and bought a good lanyard, the wife/ kids beat the shit out of it no issue's so far folds up into a back back easy to store and carry. Ow and it matches the boat ;)
20200524_155548.jpg

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We have three of the tower boards. I use the 14' XPlorer (6'7" 285lbs) and it is very stable. It tracks very very well and is actually a pretty fast board. My kids like the 9'10" tower board and have no problem with two small people on it. We recently got the tower 'race' board (red) and my wife really likes that one. It also tracks very well and is quick but for me it doesn't float me quite as well as the thicker (8" vs 6") xplorer board. We use an electric pump that I bought a few years back and has worked great. It has an auto off function so it will automatically turn off at an adjustable PSI setting. That is a must in my book :)

All in all, very happy with the tower boards and they have aged well, our big and small boards are 6+ years old.

EDIT: this is the pump I bought back in 2014, not heavy use, but it still works great :) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKIW64W/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We have three of the tower boards. I use the 14' XPlorer (6'7" 285lbs) and it is very stable. It tracks very very well and is actually a pretty fast board. My kids like the 9'10" tower board and have no problem with two small people on it. We recently got the tower 'race' board (red) and my wife really likes that one. It also tracks very well and is quick but for me it doesn't float me quite as well as the thicker (8" vs 6") xplorer board. We use an electric pump that I bought a few years back and has worked great. It has an auto off function so it will automatically turn off at an adjustable PSI setting. That is a must in my book :)

All in all, very happy with the tower boards and they have aged well, our big and small boards are 6+ years old.

EDIT: this is the pump I bought back in 2014, not heavy use, but it still works great :) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKIW64W/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
If I don't like the Body Glove board, I will get the Tower Xplorer 14'

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Let me know how you feel after you pump 2 of them up [emoji23] [emoji23]
I'm sure I'll be ready for a meal and Margaritas at your house.[emoji3][emoji3]

I am going to but an electric pump. But I am going to try with the stock pump today.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It took 5 minutes to fill the first one, then about 8 minutes to fill the 2nd one. Of course I was doing it inside in the AC, and not in the blazing sun.
20200731_134722.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Took an hour to pump this up today. On the patio. In 122 degree heat. I think i died.

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

707dog

Reaction score
anyone get creative yet and figure out how to adapt the hose with the twist connection to a electric pump yet? i use the electric pump to fill it most of the way but still end up finishing with the manual one to get it to correct pressure

Maximillion

Reaction score
I see a lot of Tower boards in the channel I think are rentals, so they must be ok if they handle that abuse.
+1 on Tower boards. Wifes had one for 4 years and paddles about 3 times a week. Good all around board.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Took them out today. I originally thought I would use the Body Glove to see if I enjoy it, and it so get a Tower 14'. However this board does everything I need it to do. It paddles easily, it tracks straight, supports my weight, is easy to get on it from on the water, and it is easy to transition from sitting, kneeling, and standing. I still don't know how much I will use it, but it was nice today.

20200802_160430(0).jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

cxr

Reaction score
Body glove are avail online again. I said what the heck and ordered 2. 5. Min ago.

2Driver

Reaction score
We are shopping and found this pretty informative and in depth if you read the in-depth write up. I like that black fin top pick. 3 layer pvc and carbon rails.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What is a good battery powered, or 12v pump for inflatables? I prefer battery powered (rechargeable) because the last time I had to hike in a little ways and it was too far to carry the boards inflated, and all our stuff.

Bails

Reaction score
I just missed the half price sale from westmarine for a Bote inflatable. They have one that you can strap a small outboard too.

socalrzr

Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this thread a week ago. The wife ordered a couple iRocker boards on a friends recommendation, but they were a little pricey!

cxr

Reaction score
How adventorous are you guys on these things?

we just hung out in the channel and my wife and daughter just rode up/down the channel. But they said some of the drunks were obnoxious with show me you tits :( said she had to hit one on the head with a paddle.

but wondering if we paddled out to thompson bay or down to the turtle for lunch, or even cooper canyon or back next time.

or even put in at pirates and take all day and cruise down to the channel.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Took them out today. I originally thought I would use the Body Glove to see if I enjoy it, and it so get a Tower 14'. However this board does everything I need it to do. It paddles easily, it tracks straight, supports my weight, is easy to get on it from on the water, and it is easy to transition from sitting, kneeling, and standing. I still don't know how much I will use it, but it was nice today.

View attachment 905862

Sent From Tapatalk

Great! We use ours a few times a week on our lake. One of the BG ones we got from Costco had a small leak in it since the day we bought it, so it needed pumping up every day a little to keep it full. We just checked Costco every day to see when they would be in stock again to order another as we didn't want to be out of a paddle board and sure enough they showed up for about 10 min and we got one. Took the other back to Costco! Got to love that about them. If we ordered it from one of the online companies like Bote, Irocker or any of the other ones, I just don't think it would have been that easy. Sure they aren't a full race board, but they sure work great for us.

We actually bought some PVC glue, and some d-rings mounted to PVC and are going to put on our own attachments. hahaha. We carry coolers, cameras etc and need a better way to secure them.

Good luck and have fun!

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Just bought my wife one, 11' is more stable than the 10' ones and you want 30" wide or more. She is tiny but my 225lb 6'4" butt rode her 11'x30" and I wasnt the most elegant but I got right up and cruised. I ordered ours on Amazon. Watch the weight ratings and max inflation pressure. The higher pressure, +15psi and higher weight rating means better built. Hers is a GoPlus brand. 15PSI and 352Lb weight capacity.

I keep in under the engine hatch and inflate it when we hit a cove. Buy a good electric pump. The hand pumps will kill you faster than Covid by wearing you out.

View attachment 901262
View attachment 901261

I have these
I like the manual inflate workout before paddling . Very stable. I’d recommend these to anyone .

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Great! We use ours a few times a week on our lake. One of the BG ones we got from Costco had a small leak in it since the day we bought it, so it needed pumping up every day a little to keep it full. We just checked Costco every day to see when they would be in stock again to order another as we didn't want to be out of a paddle board and sure enough they showed up for about 10 min and we got one. Took the other back to Costco! Got to love that about them. If we ordered it from one of the online companies like Bote, Irocker or any of the other ones, I just don't think it would have been that easy. Sure they aren't a full race board, but they sure work great for us.

We actually bought some PVC glue, and some d-rings mounted to PVC and are going to put on our own attachments. hahaha. We carry coolers, cameras etc and need a better way to secure them.

Good luck and have fun!
Yeah, I want to add some D rings and another webbing in the rear for gear.

Sent From Tapatalk

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
It looks like it might be time for an SUP section on RDP.🤔 If only someone would have suggested it before. I actually find it funny, I've been paddling for 10 years now and heard nothing but "that's gay" comments from RDP but look now.😂 Good to see other people coming around.👍

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It looks like it might be time for an SUP section on RDP.[emoji848] If only someone would have suggested it before. I actually find it funny, I've been paddling for 10 years now and heard nothing but "that's gay" comments from RDP but look now.[emoji23] Good to see other people coming around.[emoji106]
It was against my will. I am the victim here. [emoji1787][emoji1787] It is a nice to have something to do when I can't take the boat out.

Sent From Tapatalk

cxr

Reaction score
Also where do you guys go here in Socal for paddleboarding? besides castaic.

what beaches are good? any hints or tips? dolphins would be a plus :)

Last edited:

socalrzr

Reaction score

Ive been paddleboarding on Mission Bay and in the Newport harbor. I dont have enough skill to go in the real ocean, but the bays are fun and easy. Its always fun to look at all of the nice yachts in those areas.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

Sharks would be a negative! Especially if they just turned your inflatable into a lily pad.

boatnam2

Reaction score

To see the elusive 2 legged tuna i would try Huntington harbor on a Saturday, for ocean you can try seal beach, swell isn't too bad but Paddle boarding in the ocean is quite a but harder. Mothers beach, horny corner off of second street is fun, you can paddle through Naples, very crowded.