WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paging Danny (DCM) Skeg ?

old man on the lake

Reaction score
This winter I am going to re due the interior of my Tarva( same hull as the Spectra/ Howard).I noticed you put turning skegs on your IOs.My boat skips a little when I turn it hard at speed. I was thinking skegs would cure that.
How well do they work? Where do you put them?Which ones do you use?
Thanks Danny.OMOTL

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Spectra / Howard / DCM bottom have no lifting strakes in the back of them so they "slide" when they turn if they don't have a fin in them. They don't have any bad handling characteristics they just don't "turn" hard without it.

If you've been running one with out a skeg you will notice a NIGHT AND DAY difference. I have driven a Spectra 20 with no Skeg, and Danny's DCM with the skeg.

If it's "skipping" you might be over trimmed while turning.

RD

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
The skeg that I use on a mild horse power boat is the Glenwood bolt up turning fin. The catalog # is 10920. On my boats, I place them 52" from the rear of the transom to the rear of the mounting base.

Glenwood Cagalog Page 53

Hope that helps
Danny

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
This winter I am going to re due the interior of my Tarva( same hull as the Spectra/ Howard).I noticed you put turning skegs on your IOs.My boat skips a little when I turn it hard at speed. I was thinking skegs would cure that.
How well do they work? Where do you put them?Which ones do you use?
Thanks Danny.OMOTL

I would spend a little more $$$ and get a drop thru fin.

RD is right its nite & day with the turning fin.

BRent