WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paging LOF, Mazda talk

spectras only

Reaction score
Got a question for you about suspension for track duty. In your opinion, is the Megan Racing Track coil suspension is reliable? https://www.carid.com/megan-racing/...mx590-ts.html?singleid=1427478938&url=1200285

My son sold his 1990 Miata track car with the cheapie Yonaka coilover set up. It did work great on the track. We picked up a 2002 Honda S2000 we're turning it into a track car now. He's thinking of getting the setup in the link I posted.
Also, now I have a 2004 Miata myself, retiring my collector status Viper from the track, using it for public roads only.o_O:D It's a lot more fun running in the GTU class with a bunch of like minded souls.;)
I'm not interested in the more expensive [ Koni etc...] units. The Megan unit seems to be a decent one.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Megan Racing is ok, but there are better options for both the s2000 and the Miata. Personally for entry level coilovers, I like BC racing, they are about the same price as the Megans.

For a few hundred more the Fortune Auto setup 500 is really nice. They will build the coilover specifically for your car if you want custom spring rates. They can also revalve and rebuild them in Virginia. They can also upgrade them with remote canisters later.

https://shop.redline360.com/product...MIx437jK6T5wIVjsVkCh2CaQZVEAQYBCABEgKKSPD_BwE

Personally I have their 510 series coilovers on my RX7. I have been very pleased with them.

spectras only

Reaction score
Thanks LOF, I'll check them out. Just texted my son, he knows both BC and Auto Fortune products.

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
If you ever sell the car, remove the suspension and sell them for a few hundred less. They really hold their value because of their quality.

spectras only

Reaction score
After a couple of years using Yonaka in the 1990 Miata with no issues what so ever, I decided to get them again for the 2004 Miata budget racer. Here's what the car looks slammed. Not dialed in yet, have the damper set to high so it rides like a brick now, but there's 28 click setting to soft.I'll have the Advanti Storm wheels on too and the hardtop when on the track.
20200221_111757.jpg
20200221_111809.jpg
20200221_111723.jpg
20200218_191838.jpg
:p

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That came out nice, those look decent.

I have noticed a big difference in the entry level coilovers by swapping to better springs. The China springs kinda suck.

For me I usually start at full soft and go up 2 clicks at a time to get the settings in the ballpark.

I was just tootling around in my RX7 today putting some miles on the new transmission.

spectras only

Reaction score
I started installing the front first and found the setting at full [ high ] was still pretty good for public roads. Then installed the rears when I noticed the ride got hard on the road. I think it still might be ok on full [ high ] for track use and only dial down half way [ 14 clicks ] for a softer ride on the roads. Can't wait for Apr 1st when the track opens. ;) I have a feeling I'll use the Viper less this year, this thing is nimble as hell and a ton of fun. 50-50 weight ratio with a light weight is the recipe for 16 turns.:)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I started installing the front first and found the setting at full [ high ] was still pretty good for public roads. Then installed the rears when I noticed the ride got hard on the road. I think it still might be ok on full [ high ] for track use and only dial down half way [ 14 clicks ] for a softer ride on the roads. Can't wait for Apr 1st when the track opens. ;) I have a feeling I'll use the Viper less this year, this thing is nimble as hell and a ton of fun. 50-50 weight ratio with a light weight is the recipe for 16 turns.:)

It is a hell of a lot of fun driving a slow car fast. And Miatas are cheap to run and close to indestructible. I think you will enjoy it, especially having the Viper as well.

I tracked my RX7 quite a bit before the engine swap. It was all fun until some S2000 passed me on the straights lol.

spectras only

Reaction score
It is a hell of a lot of fun driving a slow car fast. And Miatas are cheap to run and close to indestructible. I think you will enjoy it, especially having the Viper as well.

I tracked my RX7 quite a bit before the engine swap. It was all fun until some S2000 passed me on the straights lol.
That's going to be my boy in his S2000. He can't wait to beat me on the track .hehe. He has to stay N/A for the GTU class though, but I may just sneak a turbo in the Miata to measure up ;) :D