WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paging the TV experts

havasujeeper

Reaction score
That television has a 120HZ refresh rate, which is about as slow as they get. With a TV that big, you may get a slow reaction while watching football or any fast moving sport. I would recommend finding a TV which has a 240HZ refresh rate.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I'm no expert but this is the stuff I've read before buying a new monitor or TV.

https://www.cnet.com/news/beware-fake-120hz-refresh-rates-on-4k-tvs/

There are only 60Hz and 120Hz TVs. There are no 240Hz TVs anymore. Anything higher than 120 is a fake number. Since it takes more expensive hardware to increase a TV's true refresh rate, it's rare a budget TV will actually be 120Hz.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I'm no expert but this is the stuff I've read before buying a new monitor or TV.

https://www.cnet.com/news/beware-fake-120hz-refresh-rates-on-4k-tvs/

There are only 60Hz and 120Hz TVs. There are no 240Hz TVs anymore. Anything higher than 120 is a fake number. Since it takes more expensive hardware to increase a TV's true refresh rate, it's rare a budget TV will actually be 120Hz.

Exactly, and as the article states, almost all TV broadcasts are in 30 frames per second (30hz) and film is almost universally 24fps (24hz) (and has been for decades if not a century)... There are some sporting events that are broadcast at 60Fps (football?), Formula 1 has been broadcast at 50fps for several years now (The European TV standard PAL was 25fps not 30fps, so double it to 50 instead of 60)....

You will notice bad image or contrast quality well before you notice frame rate at 120hz...

The reviews look halfway ok, i'm sure the TV is fine, especially given the price.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I bought the 70-inch version a week ago, so far so good. I would definitely recommended at this point..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Exactly, and as the article states, almost all TV broadcasts are in 30 frames per second (30hz) and film is almost universally 24fps (24hz) (and has been for decades if not a century)... There are some sporting events that are broadcast at 60Fps (football?), Formula 1 has been broadcast at 50fps for several years now (The European TV standard PAL was 25fps not 30fps, so double it to 50 instead of 60)....

You will notice bad image or contrast quality well before you notice frame rate at 120hz...

The reviews look halfway ok, i'm sure the TV is fine, especially given the price.
Pretty sure you ain't gonna notice the difference in refresh rate anyways unless you got both TVs side by side.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Costco TCLs.......I believe the 65" 4k one is around $600 now.....and the 75" is $1150. They have Roku built in.....way ez to use for streaming. I have 5 of them now from 43" to 65". Shit....my wife even wants me to replace my Samsung 60" in the family room with another TCL Roku....lol.

thedan

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Costco TCLs.......I believe the 65" 4k one is around $600 now.....and the 75" is $1150. They have Roku built in.....way ez to use for streaming. I have 5 of them now from 43" to 65". Shit....my wife even wants me to replace my Samsung 60" in the family room with another TCL Roku....lol.
I have 2 TCL TVs and they are great!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have 2 TCL TVs and they are great!
I have 2 as well. Love them. The newer one definitely works better as far as operating systems but both have great pictures and work well.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I try to avoid any purchase of Chinese products if at all possible.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
It's an LG, it's a decent set at a really good price. It's their base model so it won't look anything like a OLED or even Samsung Q7-8-or9 series. But if you hav a decent source it'll look good especially if your back from the tv a bit.
Regular LG's use an IPS panel so off axis viewing is better than most, not quite as bright dead on.
Their panels are used in many brands including vizio.
Their OLED panels are the best. They are also used in the top models of Sony, Samsung.
Just installed a OLED today, they are stunning but a 77" is about 6 times the cost of this Costco model.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That’s a great price for a 75” TV. Take it home and try it, if you don’t like it you can always take it back and get something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the best part about Costco, their return policy! Bring it back if you don't like it. No worries.

But...

When I was shopping, I went to Best Buy. To compare different brands side by side. The brand selections at Costco are minimal at best.

I ended up with a Sony 4k. It was definitely more money, but the picture quality is way better than the other TV's in it's class.

Also, talking to the guy there...

He mentioned that the Sony interface was the best on the market. Since I had no smart TV experience prior to talking to him, I didn't really know what he was saying.

Now that I've had mine awhile, and been around friends smart TV''s I understand completely.

It's much more user friendly, and apps are easy to find and add. Plus it works Real well with my other Sony components, and of course flawlessly with PlayStation Vue (which is replacing my FIOS TV).

I suggest you look at the competition side by side, and make your choice after that.

Sony was Well worth the extra money to me.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
P.S.

You won't really notice a quality difference unless you are watching something off a Blue Ray or 4k & disc player, and a movie that was produced recently.

A TV is only as good as it's source...

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
P.S.

You won't really notice a quality difference unless you are watching something off a Blue Ray or 4k & disc player, and a movie that was produced recently.

A TV is only as good as it's source...

I have to disagree with this.

One of the main advantages of a higher end TV is a much more powerful motion processor that can up convert standard HD images to 4K. My Samsung Q8 does an amazing job of this. I didn’t realize how significant this can be until I put my Samsung side by side with my Bravia and the difference is night and day.

AEA

Reaction score
What is the difference between OLED and QLED, which is better?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this.

One of the main advantages of a higher end TV is a much more powerful motion processor that can up convert standard HD images to 4K. My Samsung Q8 does an amazing job of this. I didn’t realize how significant this can be until I put my Samsung side by side with my Bravia and the difference is night and day.

So you are comparing an older Sony to a newer Samsung, and saying the new TV looks better?

Shit I would sure hope so! LoL

:p

https://www.lifewire.com/standard-dvd-upscaling-vs-blu-ray-1846530

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The Sony is only 2 years old and the specs are relatively comparable to the current Sony model specs.

The point I guess I didn't make clear was...

If you are doing homework on the latest and greatest TVs, you have to compare em side by side, with a source that matches the said TVs best input.

Just like with music...

If you have a killer sound system, and hook up your 8 track player to it, your not really going to be able to tell how good that system is. Now if you hood up a Good CD player to it, with a Master copy of say Dark Side of the Moon, then you will hear how good it Can sound.

Yes, saying any newer TV can make an old DVD look better, is true. That's why I posted the link explaining the process. Upscaling is definitely real!

But if you hook up the latest and greatest source (a 4k player with a 4k DVD in it, through the appropriate cables), then you can see what that TV is truly capable of.

I have a Sony 4k player, and I bought 2 4k DVD's. I won't buy anymore 4K DVDs.

Why? My old ass eyes can hardly tell the difference between 4k and BlueRay. Maybe it's the movies I have? So far I'm not impressed.

But between BlueRay and a regular DVD, the difference is night and day.

The souce content will always make a difference reguardless if it audio or visual.

The sound also seems to be much better too with the BluRay discs. That could be my imagination though, I've never looked into the difference.

*Shrug*

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Most people can not tell the difference between 60 Hz and 120 hz unless it's side by side. That's just tell there is a difference, not that they can point it out

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Then you won’t be a TV viewer

Not really.
Products just move to cheap labor. Several of the brands are still made in Juarez MEX.
When US production got too expensive and American companies got bloated and inefficient, Zenith/RCA/Magnavox, they were already in production in Juarez.
Japan was cheaper and became quality, Sony/JVC. Then as Japan became expensive cheap sets came from Korea, Goldstar(now LG who acquired Zenith)/Samsung. Now Korea is making the quality stuff and cheap stuff is from China/Malaysia/Philipines.

But as far as I know LG, Samsung, Sony still have plants in Juarez.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
What is the difference between OLED and QLED, which is better?
OLED is better. It's actually the best, and has been since LG came to the market with it.

Reference for whats different - https://www.komando.com/tips/449748/qled-vs-oled-tv-similar-names-totally-different-technologies

About 4 years ago I caved to my then wifes wish to buy a new TV. I put it off for 5+ years because our plasma TV's were still going strong and looked good. When I gave in, I went with the best picture you could get and future proofed. She wasnt happy about the price, but I wanted something that would hold up to the onslaught of new tech. That TV still has one of the best pictures on the market, it was an LG OLED.

If you can make an OLED fit the budget, do it. If not, I wouldnt be concerned with buying a LG LED TV. My ex and I bought one for our kids and the picture was fantastic on it as well.

For the OP, I wouldnt settle on a TV that doesnt have a ARC HDMI channel or magic remote with the latest LG apps / smart TV. It may cost a couple hundred more, but what you get in return is well worth it. For instance, the model you are looking at only has 3 HDMI inputs. The 65" OLED I bought my ex wife 4+ years ago has 7 along with an ARC channel. The higher end models also come with a ton of ability to adjust the screen setting to your liking. When it comes to to TV's,bigger for cheap isn't better, you need to find the sweet spot for future proof, setting and apps and the connection ports along with panel size.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Pretty sure you ain't gonna notice the difference in refresh rate anyways unless you got both TVs side by side.
I have a supposed 240hz tv yet I still see 2 golf balls on the screen. The 120hz tv looks the same.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So this is the back of Alien Covenant, that I just got for Xmas. It's a 2017 movie.

If you don't know, when you buy a BlueRay disc, they give you a regular disc too.

If you look at the pic, it shows you the audio properties of both discs. You can clearly see the BlueRay disc has Much better audio properties. And lucky for me, my old Yamaha receiver will decode the DTS signals.

So yeah, the BlueRay discs have a Much better sound to them!

20190125_202520.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So here is the back of a 4k movie. Dead Pool. One of my favorites!

I checked a few other 4k discs I have too. Same as this one...

They stepped up the audio game to Dolby Atmos on the 4k sound track.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-atmos.html

Looks like it's even better than DTS. But I'm not sure I can tell the difference?

Honestly I never really looked at the audio properties till tonight. So I'll pay more attention next time.

Like I said before...

There is a night and day difference between DVD and BlueRay. Clearly there IS a difference between BlueRay and 4k, but I'm probably just to lame (old) to tell the difference.

Anyhow...

Now you guys know what I know. Which really isn't a lot.

:confused::p:D

20190125_210517.jpg