WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Painted Cowling - Yes-No?

Water Romper

Reaction score
Its winter where I live so thinking of a project to do: What's the verdict painting the cowl on an outboard? Mine is a older 1992 250 Blk Max, all black, decals removed. I understand the paint job its self is subject to opinion just like gel/paint on boats but if done (IMO) done tastefully and matches the flow of the boats graphic scheme, would it be a go?
Pictures would help (might even motivate me to start sooner than later) Thanks

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Its winter where I live so thinking of a project to do: What's the verdict painting the cowl on an outboard? Mine is a older 1992 250 Blk Max, all black, decals removed. I understand the paint job its self is subject to opinion just like gel/paint on boats but if done (IMO) done tastefully and matches the flow of the boats graphic scheme, would it be a go?
Pictures would help (might even motivate me to start sooner than later) Thanks
I think its up to you. If its something you like to see then cool. Me personally, I prefer factory decals but maybe have the colors changed to match the boat colors.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I'm all in favor
super_interceptor_21_22386354.jpg

Keep it clean, simple and classy

Water Romper

Reaction score
Mercury makes different color decals to match boat colors? The original decals on my Merc were ugly brown so they are gone now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Mercury makes different color decals to match boat colors? The original decals on my Merc were ugly brown so they are gone now.
Check out this website. I have been told he even has the fake leather-like grain decal that Merc used on the Black-maxs back then.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I think it also depends on the overall color scheme of the boat and interior. It’s a rare case that I like painted cowls I would say maybe consider bringing the new style graphics of the new motors to your classic black max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
Our little 19' Daytona is white and the outboard cowling was painted white by the previous owner. It doesn't look terrible, but if I had my choice, I'd rather it be factory. Just my .02.

Water Romper

Reaction score
YES!! like this, simple, classy makes the boat look "sleek" Thanks for posting

stingray11

Reaction score
No,I think pulling just the cowl and painting it is tacky. A after thought. Paint the whole motor if you are going to or leave well enough alone. The only time I have ever painted my motor to match my boat was when I painted it camouflage on my duck boat.

BingerFang

Reaction score
956098E2-673B-4BC6-9265-0B07395EF5D3.jpeg

I’ve been tossing around the idea of having my cowling painted to match..... I like the way the all white looks on the boat right now though.

Boatmaster

Reaction score
Our little 19' Daytona is white and the outboard cowling was painted white by the previous owner. It doesn't look terrible, but if I had my choice, I'd rather it be factory. Just my .02.
Which 19 is yours. Any chance it has blue and pink graphics?

Backlash

Reaction score
Which 19 is yours. Any chance it has blue and pink graphics?

Hey BM! This was the 19 that Community picked up a few years ago and did a short build thread on here. It was originally white, pink and gray. He had the transom replaced and had it painted all white and painted the trailer gray. It has a 200 Merc on it. Ring a bell??

Last edited:

Boatmaster

Reaction score
Hey BM! This was the 19 that Community picked up a few years ago and did a short build thread on here. It was originally white, pink and gray. He had the transom replaced and had it painted all white and painged the trailer gray. It has a 200 Merc on it. Ring a bell??
I remember the boat. My old boat was a 95 with a 2005 2.5 280 short shaft.

Backlash

Reaction score
Ours is an 89' and has the 200hp on it. I need to change out the midsection for a shorter mid, and get a new prop for it since someone decided they needed our prop more than we did. 🤦‍♂️🤬😁