WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Panama Canal Cruise

Rickybobby

Reaction score
No where near the balls Stoker has to do this on my own, but soon I'll be on NCL for a 14 day trip from San Diego to Tampa via the Canal. Gave up some lake days and saved some $$$ to do this bucket list item and to celebrate the wife's retirement from her job of 37 years!!!!

Not completely thrilled with some of the ports so I might just hang out on the ship, but if you haven't tried cruising it is one of the few places where I can completely relax and download. Not really what I thought initially of a bunch of blue hairs running around (although there are plenty). We have a great group of people like us who have similar interests. There is plenty to do on the ship or nothing at all.

The best part is that we end up in Florida and after a short tour of Key Largo and the keys, we will end up in Key West for the big boat race. Not sure which part I am more excited for??? Never been to Florida so I am kinda stoked to get to see it (assuming it is not to tore up!!)

I'll post up as much as I can.
rb

blefever

Reaction score
Wife and I did a Princess 19 day Panama Canal Cruise in April this year. The canal was for sure the highlight for us. If you like, A few suggestions that made it all the better for us. Take binoculars. Great way to get a really good look at the workings of the canal and we had 2 private boats in the locks next to us, so it was fun to see how they handled the lines to lock in and lock out. Ahead of time, search out the decks that get you the best view. Most will have a good view, but at least on the Princess ship we were on, a couple of decks had a hard to find great open air view spot that few knew about. On canal day, plan to get up before sunrise. At least on our cruise, we sailed right into the canal at first light, but seeing all the ships anchored in the bay and Panama City at sunrise was very cool. It takes hours to go thru the locks so there is plenty of time to move around for different views.

Being a gear head, I had a Cars and Coffee meeting one morning, without the cars of course. Every evening we got a newsletter in the room with the next days events on it. I just asked the cruise director if they would add a cars and coffee meeting at 9am in one of the bars. They were happy to. We had about 30 guys show up. I went around the room and had each guy introduce himself and tell where he was from and what the current money pit was he was working on or cruising. It was very cool and everyone had photos to share on their cell phones. I mentioned my boats as well and had a lot of guys asking about them. Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you will and I hope this is of help.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Eastern Caribbean in February
and
Fiji cruise January 2020

Just got done with my 5th Alaska Cruise

Lots of cruising behind me... 34 to be exact. Top rewards level with princess ;-)

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sounds like an incredible trip planned. I still want to make it back to South FL to hit Miami, Key West and the keys. These are the few things I’d be willing to go back to Florida for. It will be interesting to get your view of FL after the travels. Have a good time and be sure to post up a lot of photos!!!!

checkrd past

Reaction score
just did it last spring,if you have a chance to get off at Colon,Panama do it. its the most ghetto place on earth period.It really makes you love America that much more

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Top rewards level? Man, i bet you get free wifi and free laundry for a bag of dirty clothes? ;)

WiFi free minutes depending on how long the cruise is.

Free mini-bar, one per week of cruise.

Free laundry all cruise.

Priority off/on tenders,

Special party with free drinks.

Separate line at customer service.

Personal cruise consultant with princess

That’s all I can think of

;-)

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I'm not a huge cruise guy because I like to linger a little, but the Panama Canal cruise is a bucket list trip for me. I've seen countless documentaries on it, and it always blows my mind. Have a great time and take pics.

cxr

Reaction score
Post lots of pics we are going to do this cruise in the next few years.

I think next june or july we are going yo do another caribean cruise : Puerto rico, st kitts, st marten. etc. then this panama cruise prob the following year. but I also wanna go to Thailand and African safari... I better get to saving.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
There was a rum tour advertised at one of the ports but now I cannot find it??? The Nicaragua excursions and port stops seem to be in question?? US State Dept suggests "Reconsider Travel" in Nicaragua, might have to wait till we board to get the details. I have traveled enough to know the signs but one recent reviewer suggested skipping Nicaragua if I wanted to cruise later in life:eek::eek::eek:
Wouldn't mind getting a hold of some great sticks and rum to watch the sunset from the balcony suite.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Eastern Caribbean in February
and
Fiji cruise January 2020

Just got done with my 5th Alaska Cruise

Lots of cruising behind me... 34 to be exact. Top rewards level with princess ;-)
WiFi free minutes depending on how long the cruise is.

Free mini-bar, one per week of cruise.

Free laundry all cruise.

Priority off/on tenders,

Special party with free drinks.

Separate line at customer service.

Personal cruise consultant with princess

That’s all I can think of

;-)

Gloat much? LMAO

We love cruises. This will be our 6th.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Here are a few pics from our trip. We flew to Ft. Lauderdale, went to Aruba, Columbia, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, And then Cabo San Lucas, then ended in the Port of Los Angeles. As said before, a trip of a lifetime and hope you enjoy it.
Panama Canal Cruise (475).JPG
Panama Canal Cruise (497).JPG
Panama Canal Cruise (546).JPG

Rickybobby

Reaction score
The adventure begins!!! I need to come back and spent a few days here in San Diego!!! This place rocks!!

The Waterfront Bar was a perfect place to watch the Dodgers clinch the NLCS!!!!
03952BB8-FF77-40D4-93E8-83F8A366931F.jpeg
6313C9B7-9019-4C11-B05C-F47BEE5F676C.jpeg
C6D6FF0C-FD60-4AAF-BBCD-E6B124158476.jpeg
63A954BA-C946-4435-9023-4A0DF5D368D8.jpeg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Chk in was a major PIA but a couple double jack and sours and I am good to go. Forgot how nice it was to be treated like royalty!!! Haven’t even left the harbor yet and I am already not looking forward to getting off the ship.

Attachments

• 5F3E9EF1-A783-4C63-8658-C4DEDAB28617.jpeg
    5F3E9EF1-A783-4C63-8658-C4DEDAB28617.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 56
  • A1EF8453-8103-495B-B3AD-5D52A2E3F672.jpeg
    A1EF8453-8103-495B-B3AD-5D52A2E3F672.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 826B3BE2-B9D2-4BEA-BC48-5E8D373810DB.jpeg
    826B3BE2-B9D2-4BEA-BC48-5E8D373810DB.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DA802E64-9CA9-4507-B1CF-6E3900481AEA.jpeg
    DA802E64-9CA9-4507-B1CF-6E3900481AEA.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 50

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How is the Disney cruises? Wife wants to do one, but I’m not so sure. Don’t think I can deal with all those kids.
1/3 of the ship is off limits to kids.
Excellent restaurants, nightclubs, bars and entertainment beyond the Disney storied character shows.
Might not be for everyone but it worked for us.

Last edited: