WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker boat accident

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
After skiing this morning we headed to RR for breakfast. There was a boat upside down at Bass Point, Sheriff boat at the scene. I didn't recognize the purple and white bow of the boat, and we could not make out any damage on the bow that might have occurred if it went up on the rocks. Rumor is it happened last night, I will not repeat other rumors until substantiated.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
BB8AC22F-45AA-443D-BE55-F462265F8E5B.jpeg

Icky

Reaction score
Where is bass point?

Icky

Reaction score
South end of emerald cove
That's what I assumed, just didn't know the name of it. That area is pretty dark at night and I track the shoreline on the left when heading down river at night.

carrera202

Reaction score
Was at emerald cove last night and they landed a helicopter, not sure if anyone was flown out.

Hightyme

Reaction score
Yeah was flown to Vegas think only one from what I’ve heard so far

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I could be wrong on the helo flight. We did see them landing across the river.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Sad deal. Prayers to all involved. We haven’t boated Parker in a few years. Boats are getting to big and to fast not that this accident had anything to do with that.

Hightyme

Reaction score
Nothing to do with that just night and that spot is tricky especially in the dark with those rocks they are further out then you think right there

kurtis500

Reaction score
Can someone geo tag or upload a pic of the rocks? I’m not familiar and boat there every year in my v-drive. Is it under water?

Backlash

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220731-185223.png

If this is where they are talking about, it's the section poking out on the left, just south of Emerald Cove.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
View attachment 1142176

If this is where they are talking about, it's the section poking out on the left, just south of Emerald Cove.
If this is the area than yeah I’ve been out at night a few times in that area and can say it’s not my favorite part. It really is hard to see much going from there south you don’t have many houses/lights to help you with shoreline.

Completely sober and cruising and I still ended up being way closer to that outcrop of rocks than I expected!

Prayers to all involved!

Xstream

Reaction score
Prayers for all involved hope everyone is ok. It is hard to see at night the glare of lights and no moon I try to stay in the center of the river and still drift to the shoreline.

Hightyme

Reaction score
That’s the spot and not new people to the river at all but if headed down river following the shore at night you can see on the map how it could f you really good in the dark

rrrr

Reaction score
No speed limit. Reasonable and prudent I believe.
When traveling on the water during dark night, I seldom go much faster than planing speed. Even then it has to be open water and far from shore.

I hope no one was seriously injured in the crash.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Here is a view from shore. I'm looking for a pic standing on the point. I take my dog up there nearly every morning were there.

The 1/2 moon arrow is stating there is another rock about 50 yards down river. The posted areal view shows it.

Hope everyone heals up fast or better yet not hurt at all.

Emerald has a couple Mercury Vapor lights on a pole right in the middle of the beach which lights all that stuff up pretty good but the rock just beyond is completely dark.

IMG_4617.jpg

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
When traveling on the water during dark night, I seldom go much faster than planing speed. Even then it has to be open water and far from shore.

I hope no one was seriously injured in the crash.

Looking back, one of the dumbest thing I have ever done was going from my Uncle's house in discovery bay back to Sugar Barge RV (Frank's tract) at dark, on plane. It was a blast, but quite stupid

Sherpa

Reaction score
Looking back, one of the dumbest thing I have ever done was going from my Uncle's house in discovery bay back to Sugar Barge RV (Frank's tract) at dark, on plane. It was a blast, but quite stupid
oh I got ya beat! I once towed a sanger flat that quit on them from the freeway (the main channel coming into tiki Lagoon) all the way to Orwood.............
this was about 11:30pm...

then since we launched out of franks, I had to run all the way from Orwood to Franks around 12:30pm........ thank God there was a decent moon, and I know the routes
pretty good.......... my 2 boat buddies (non-skier friends from work) had absolutely no fricken idea where we were or how I knew the way back to the truck.......

that was a looooong night.!

--Sherpa

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
As readers of these tragic tales the best thing we can do is:
1. Feel sorrow for those involved and
2. Learn from the incident

Blame or gossip is not helpful, however blame and anger is inevitable if you have a loved one involved. I'd say those people have a pass and blame is likely justified. Really though that is the only time it's justified, the rest of us can mind our own.

Learning the reasons for the accident are important so we can make corrections and adjustments to our boating habits/rules so that we avoid these losses in the future, assuming that is important to you. That being said, I know a LOT of people that do not drink alcohol and also are unwilling to boat after sunset. Those two simple things can prevent so many of these tragedies.

We all have agency, but it's never free there is always a price.

jet496

Reaction score
I still wonder why you would want to travel at speed on the river at night. I guess a few drinks gives you the answer.....
Yea, I almost did that at Meade assuming in the middle of the lake I'd be fine. There was a good moon out that just got covered with clouds so I put the spotlight on and saw the top of some rocks heading into Echo, seconds from hitting them. I still shudder at that & will NEVER drive fast again at night, no matter how much I think I know the area. Couple weeks later I read about a boat that was kicked out of a marina at Meade one night for partying & they found it crashed on an island, or rock pile, people scattered.

I pray she survives this.

Reactions: DWC

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Prayers for all involved hope everyone is ok. It is hard to see at night the glare of lights and no moon I try to stay in the center of the river and still drift to the shoreline.
Alcohol consumption disrupts depth perception and makes it difficult to differentiate between the colors red and green. Depth perception disruption makes it appear that lights right in front of you seem to be on shore, and makes those lights "get lost" in background spatter. It should be obvious how not being able to tell red lights from green lights would be problematic on the water.

And for those calling for installing lights, marking that particular outcropping (and others, eg Idiot Rock) should know that marking the point(s) by "good samaritans" would be illegal and actually cause more problems once those lights burned out or were stolen. And as far as having "government" mark it, who would do it?

State of California?
California Fish and Game?
San Bernardino County?
Federal Government?
US Coast Guard? (no responsibility for marking inland waters)
US Bureau of Reclamation?
US Bureau of Land Management?
??????????

One thing to consider is that once a Government "marks" a hazard with lights, day markers, or buoys they must maintain that light/marker/buoy into perpetuity, and if it's burned out, lost, damaged, stolen or off station, they must immediately (as soon as practicable) be repaired or replaced, as anyone "harmed" by the marker missing, will sue them for it not being there. Not one of the agencies listed above would want to expend funds to install and mantain, or otherwise take on that responsibility and/or liability.

Every one who has ever run into that point (and also Idiot Rock) at night, has been impaired by alcohol and/or drugs. So with that in mind, here's a novel idea: STAY SOBER WHEN OPERATING A BOAT!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I haven't been on the strip in 25+ years. I was really stupid then...not much brighter now.
On my old dock at Needles, we stuck some solar lights on it. At the time, there weren't many others there, so it was kind of a hazard we thought. Would it be an idea to stick some solar lights on that rock? Seems every year there are issues, and some more severe than others.

I hope the lady is able to recover. Air lift is never a good sign, but a sign someone thought she could be better cared for elsewhere :(

NicPaus

Reaction score
Friends use to put solar lights on the rock across from them. We witnessed 12 people hit it at night that year before they did. Have not seen anyone hit it since. They sold there place and now no lights.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
Yea, I almost did that at Meade assuming in the middle of the lake I'd be fine. There was a good moon out that just got covered with clouds so I put the spotlight on and saw the top of some rocks heading into Echo, seconds from hitting them. I still shudder at that & will NEVER drive fast again at night, no matter how much I think I know the area. Couple weeks later I read about a boat that was kicked out of a marina at Meade one night for partying & they found it crashed on an island, or rock pile, people scattered.

I pray she survives this.
I have pics of a good size cabin cruiser high and dry on the rocks just outside of Temple Bar. This was in the 80s

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Fortunately, no one was seriously injured. Sadly, it reminds me of the Rush incident, someone prosecuted, before the facts are in. In this case the driver was too close to the shore and could not recover as the boat chined in. ( Personally I don't boat after dark period ! ) Really no sign of impact with the shore that I could see. (rode my stand -up ski around the boat the next morning.) Yes it was driver error, obviously too close to shore. This is a case where Tres Martin course could have been helpful. A 36' Formula (believe step bottom fas Tec) traveling 25 approx m.p.h. following a friend's surf boat with drives down and big K planes down is asking for trouble. Surf boat turned left, Formula a little too close maybe, hard left, caught a chine and could not recover. (I am not the best driver, rolled my flat bottom Biesemeyer race boat to the left at low speed , pretty common.) If the driver was a little farther to the center of the river he could have possibly turned to the right and recovered. This type of incident will become more prevalent in the future with big surf rollers. I have boated this part of the river for forty-five plus years. This accident happened less than a 1/8th mile from my front door. Not making excuses for the driver, but accidents happen sometimes to very experienced captains.

Unfortunately, the La Paz County Sheriffs no longer patrol the Parker Strip. I am not a fan of Alan Nelson but wish he was still in charge.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I haven't been on the strip in 25+ years. I was really stupid then...not much brighter now.
On my old dock at Needles, we stuck some solar lights on it. At the time, there weren't many others there, so it was kind of a hazard we thought. Would it be an idea to stick some solar lights on that rock? Seems every year there are issues, and some more severe than others.

I hope the lady is able to recover. Air lift is never a good sign, but a sign someone thought she could be better cared for elsewhere :(

A battery operated hammer drill, and drill into the rocks a hole about the size of a solar light post. Replace lights once a year, or as needed.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
A battery operated hammer drill, and drill into the rocks a hole about the size of a solar light post. Replace lights once a year, or as needed.
Sounds like a great idea but as soon as you install those then you assume some of the liability for a crash. Somebody gets killed and they will name the guy in the suit who put the lights in.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I swear every accident here is at night and boozed up.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
it’s a tragic event but let’s not forget those rocks have been there for ever! I’d be willing to bet that pretty much everyone who’s it those rocks knew they were there and had driven past them for years before being that guy.

Lights or no lights they will keep getting hit! Why does everyone feel the need to shift blame all the time? I just read a article about a family going after a e bike company for their daughters death. Then you read the article and she was a passenger on the back of a bike that’s states it’s only for ONE PERSON!!