WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker- Boat Fire

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I agree with others...if we can get some data, they can help to further all our education. Tragic and life altering for them. If there is a go fund me I will contribute.

Years ago when the Ocean Cat was slipped in Huntington Harbor we witnessed a boat explosion as they were trying to get back to the Sunset Aquatic Ramp. Blew right there at the entrance to the boat ramp, just inside the fairway. We saw the people get blown out and its a little horrific. Many around rendered aid but I was asked if all could be put on my boat since I had room but the Sherriff saw otherwise. They had a known fuel leak, did a temp fix under the PCH bridge, and went for the trailer. They all lived and I'm thinking there were burns and a broken leg. The boat was a Crownline not that that matters whatsoever.

franky

Reaction score
The dry powder in the extinguisher packs down every time you hit a bump and in time it just isn't lose enough any more to be pushed out. As a minimum you should take it out every once in a while, turn it upside down and shake it . They really need to be serviced or changed out every year just like any other fire extinguisher. Buy a good one with a metal head and have it serviced every year or two. The mentality that you have a fire extinguisher only because it is required will bite you in the ass.

rrrr

Reaction score
The dry powder in the extinguisher packs down every time you hit a bump and in time it just isn't lose enough any more to be pushed out. As a minimum you should take it out every once in a while, turn it upside down and shake it . They really need to be serviced or changed out every year just like any other fire extinguisher. Buy a good one with a metal head and have it serviced every year or two. The mentality that you have a fire extinguisher only because it is required will bite you in the ass.

Turn the extinguisher upside down and whack it with a rubber mallet. That breaks up the powder. I do it a couple of times a year.

1manshow

Reaction score
When everyone is feeling better and feels like talking about it, could you find out what happened please? Had they just fueled up?

Glad everyone is going to be okay.
Yes he had just pulled boat out of the water to fuel up. He then put boat back in water and made a couple passes then went to shore to load up the family. He went to start the boat once with no luck turned it over again and that when it blew. A few of the family members still have a long road to recovery so please keep them in your prayers. One of the young girls that was burned bad has had a few surgeries and will need several more. I had not heard yet if he had a blower on or not at the time.. it’s a terrible deal but it could of been way worse😢

Mikes56

Reaction score
Yes he had just pulled boat out of the water to fuel up. He then put boat back in water and made a couple passes then went to shore to load up the family. He went to start the boat once with no luck turned it over again and that when it blew. A few of the family members still have a long road to recovery so please keep them in your prayers. One of the young girls that was burned bad has had a few surgeries and will need several more. I had not heard yet if he had a blower on or not at the time.. it’s a terrible deal but it could of been way worse😢
Thank you for letting us all know. Sorry this happened to them.

I’ve always heard how important it is to turn on the blower, especially after fueling. This is the first time I’ve actually seen how bad of an explosion can happen.

Hope they all heal quickly.