WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker- Boat Fire

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
Anybody see this- Wednesday late AM. Hope everyone is OK.
Curious how it happened.

IMG_9424.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Sad deal. I heard it, saw the smoke and drove up to Branson's. I believe they had just launched, and had an explosion. Boat drifted down river and got up against a dock. Fire kept reigniting, fire boat put water on it for a long time. I only know of two injuries, but sounds like more. The fireman carried a mother with burns and a broken leg to the ambulance. Another person carried a five year old girl with a broken leg and burns also. Hope everyone recovers, seeing the little girl was heart breaking.

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Some friends of ours from the Central Valley... sounds like everyone should be ok.

Couple of the kids had burns on their legs, one of the girls had burns on her arms also. The grandad was thrown out of the boat by the explosion and needed 6 staples on his head. The grandmother broke her ankle. [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]

buck35

Reaction score
Some friends of ours from the Central Valley... sounds like everyone should be ok.

Couple of the kids had burns on their legs, one of the girls had burns on her arms also. The grandad was thrown out of the boat by the explosion and needed 6 staples on his head. The grandmother broke her ankle. [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]

Sad deal for sure.

4Waters

Reaction score

Glad everything is going to be ok👍👍

grumpy88

Reaction score
Very sad . Im glad everybody is going to recover . My boat will definitely get a better look over this summer .

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Sad deal...hope all make a speedy recovery.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
causes? fumes in engine compartment? glad everyone will survive. Could have been much worse.

Backlash

Reaction score
Damn what a sad story. I'm glad to hear that all will recover. Was that an Essex?

boatpi

Reaction score
Very lucky no one was killed. Wonder if the kids have PFD's on??

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Looks like an Outboard.......If so, Weird......
Not an outboard, thats the top of the hull on the transom melting / falling off.

Ask 10 boaters what the blower switch does and if they crack their hatches open before starting or running at idle speeds. You will be surprised on how many tell you no and no. I think the issue is even more prevalent now because so many people jumped into boating last year with the California Covid prison crisis.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I've never had a boat fire, seen a few from a distance, but here goes the "What If" questions...if the boat catches fire from a fuel leak, which I assume this is the cause of most fires, is there really time to grab an extinguisher? Seems to me it would just flash and erupt into god knows what kind of chaos. My extinguisher is under my seat, I would need to stand up (assuming I am sitting) remove the cushion get the extinguisher and then spray- having an outboard reduces the chance of fire (i think) but still, its always in the back of my mind...I guess its all part of the "Within Reach" safety protocol as mentioned in the other thread.

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Thing hanging off back that may look like outboards looks like the hatch to me blown open.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I've never had a boat fire, seen a few from a distance, but here goes the "What If" questions...if the boat catches fire from a fuel leak, which I assume this is the cause of most fires, is there really time to grab an extinguisher? Seems to me it would just flash and erupt into god knows what kind of chaos. My extinguisher is under my seat, I would need to stand up (assuming I am sitting) remove the cushion get the extinguisher and then spray- having an outboard reduces the chance of fire (i think) but still, its always in the back of my mind...I guess its all part of the "Within Reach" safety protocol as mentioned in the other thread.
too hot and too small of an area, you pretty much have to jump, and the extinguisher isnt going to put a dent in it if is going like this one. The better route is automatic Fire Boys, not all that expensive actually and they will save your boat because you can get the hell out of there and it goes off to deal with it

1manshow

Reaction score
Prayer Update for the Family:

Jim, Judy, Bailey, Aubrey, Jill and Emily were in the boat. Jake and Levi were on the shore waiting to ski. Pete and Gert were on the beach and saw the whole thing happen. They thought they were all dead. It was two consecutive explosions, stemming from both full gas tanks.

Aubrey has severe burns to her legs below the knee. She will be kept at Maricopa Burn center in Phoenix for several days.

Jill was thrown from the boat in the explosion but checked out fine.

Bailey was waiting to hear if she has a broken ankle. She has burns on her arm.

Judy has a broken tibia and fibula. She will have surgery tonight. She also had some contusions to her face and some mild burns.

Jim had 6 staples in his head.

Emile was in the boat and escaped with no injuries.

Bailey, Aubrey, Jake and Jillian were airlifted to Phoenix. Jake only to be with his daughter.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Jim, Judy, Bailey, Aubrey, Jill and Emily were in the boat. Jake and Levi were on the shore waiting to ski. Pete and Gert were on the beach and saw the whole thing happen. They thought they were all dead. It was two consecutive explosions, stemming from both full gas tanks.

Aubrey has severe burns to her legs below the knee. She will be kept at Maricopa Burn center in Phoenix for several days.

Judy has a broken tibia and fibula. She will have surgery tonight. She also had some contusions to her face and some mild burns.

Bailey, Aubrey, Jake and Jillian were airlifted to Phoenix. Jake only to be with his daughter.
Damn, the upside is they are all alive thankfully.

4Waters

Reaction score

Wow!! Given the circumstances the injuries are very minimal. This happened to some friends of mine 2 years ago and 7 out of 8 had severe 2nd and 3rd degree burns to 50+% of their bodies.

Slats

Reaction score
Glad they are ok. I had a boat catch on fire. I got it out with a couple extinguishers I had on board. But it happens very fast.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Scary situation!! Prayers for a speedy recovery for all.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I have seen a few boat fires, not explosions and everyone, the people are still on boat trying to put it out. Must be the adrenaline, last thing i would be worried about is saving my half burned boat. By the sounds of it things could of been way worse, I wish everyone involved a speedy recovery, hopefully can put it behind them and get back to enjoying the river.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Sounds like the best ending to a bad situation. Glad everyone is going to recover. What a horrible thing to live through/ witness for anyone.
If there is anything the inmates can do please let us know. I can imagine the family is under a tremendous amount of stress at this time.
Sending prayers.

guest hs

Reaction score
God Damn that’s scary! One of the reasons my blower stays from the time I launch to the till I’m back on the trailer. Luckily we avoid a very serious fuel leak that way.

MSum661

Reaction score
Looks like it happened right in front of Michelle Bunchs home that sold several months back.
Prayers for the family.

Water Romper

Reaction score

Oh my lord, this is awful. Seems like no alcohol, No boat rental, no dip shit moves in the channel, just a decent family having a nice time and then POW... devastation. I feel for the whole family. God bless and hope for a speedy recovery. (could happen to any one of us)I would like to know the cause for educational reasons, at least somthing good could come from this tragedy.

OC Mike

Reaction score
When everyone is feeling better and feels like talking about it, could you find out what happened please? Had they just fueled up?

Glad everyone is going to be okay.

X2…….

DWC

Reaction score
God Damn that’s scary! One of the reasons my blower stays from the time I launch to the till I’m back on the trailer. Luckily we avoid a very serious fuel leak that way.
All 3 kids are trained to do the same. Flip it on before anything else. Usually open the hatch at home before we leave to take a look/smell. It’s 95% prep with too much luck mixed in. Some scary shit.

Seas

Reaction score
too hot and too small of an area, you pretty much have to jump, and the extinguisher isnt going to put a dent in it if is going like this one. The better route is automatic Fire Boys, not all that expensive actually and they will save your boat because you can get the hell out of there and it goes off to deal with it

I have a Fireboy halon automatic fire extinguisher in my engine compartment along with a regular ABC type portable extinguisher onboard(and I run my blower and sniff for fumes before turning the key). But I can't imagine the automatic Fireboy system would do much good in an explosion such as this. Anyone know otherwise?

Reactions: DWC

franky

Reaction score
I have a Fireboy halon automatic fire extinguisher in my engine compartment along with a regular ABC type portable extinguisher onboard(and I run my blower and sniff for fumes before turning the key). But I can't imagine the automatic Fireboy system would do much good in an explosion such as this. Anyone know otherwise?
It usualy starts with a fire, then escalates. I have what you have and do what you do. Open hatch and look around. Turn ignition on and let fuel pressure build, look/smell for leaks.

kurtis500

Reaction score
I had this happen in a similar but not so bad situation. I sunk my 21ft cruiser before Buckskin FD showed up to get the fire out. Not all that bad and I still use the bimini top that was on the boat and only drained the engine and did some new interior upholstery. Anyways, without the long story heres what happened. I bought the bought from a guy years prior. He installed one of those plastic see through fuel filters between the pump and 850 carb. He used it to see if fuel was making its way up to the carb and changed it every year. I picked up the habit when I bought the boat and changed it every year as well. Right in from of Badenochs I was wakeboarding and my 3 kids were in the boat with my wife driving. BOOM! The engine hatch blerw up and fuel in the bottom caught fire. Everyone jumped out and was OK. I swam up to the boat and climbed in. My 2A 10B-C extinguisher showed good but was totally dead (i still have it as a souvenier) Another boater threw me their extinguisher and it landed short in the water....then another threw me a dead extinguisher ALSO with the needle in the green.. no joke. I told the jet skiers circling around to sink it, pulled the plug and let it go down just downriver of Badenochs. I tied a buoy to the nose and swam next to while it sank. Eerie feeling when it rests on the bottom and the nose is sticking out but the river is flowing around you...

The cause? the cheapo plastic fuel filter broke and the hose with one of the broken barbs lowered down and was spraying gas at 8 psi into the alternator.. yes, marine alternator. The kids smelled fuel and within 1-2 seconds the alternator ignited the gas. Could have been much worse and I should have known to take that stupid filter out. Its the little thigs that can kill.

Last edited:

cakemoto

Reaction score
I had this happen in a similar but not so bad situation. I sunk my 21ft cruiser before Buckskin FD showed up to get the fire out. Not all that bad and I still use the bimini top that was on the boat and only drained the engine and did some new interior upholstery. Anyways, without the long story heres what happened. I bought the bought from a guy years prior. He installed one of those plastic see through fuel filters between the pump and 850 carb. He used it to see if fuel was making its way up to the carb and changed it every year. I picked up the habit when I bought the boat and changed it every year as well. Right in from of Badenochs I was wakeboarding and my 3 kids were in the boat with my wife driving. BOOM! The engine hatch blerw up and fuel in the bottom caught fire. Everyone jumped out and was OK. I swam up to the boat and climbed in. My 2A 10B-C extinguisher showed good but was totally dead (i still have it as a souvenier) Another boater threw me their extinguisher and it landed short in the water....then another threw me a dead extinguisher ALSO with the needle in the green.. no joke. I told the jet skiers circling around to sink it, pulled the plug and let it go down just downriver of Badenochs. I tied a buoy to the nose and swam next to while it sank. Eerie feeling when it rests on the bottom and the nose is sticking out but the river is flowing around you...

The cause? the cheapo plastic fuel filter broke and the hose with one of the broken barbs lowered down and was spraying gas at 8 psi into the alternator.. yes, marine alternator. The kids smelled fuel and within 1-2 seconds the alternator ignited the gas. Could have been much worse and I should have known to take that stupid filter out. Its the little thigs that can kill.
You have to shake them.. I almost learned the hard way also

Havazoo

Reaction score
Blowers on !!!!
Thank God, could have been soo much worse....