WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker Strip River Road to reopen to Traffic

Advantage 1

Reaction score
http://www.parkerliveonline.com/2017/05/01/parker-strip-river-road-reopen-traffic/

The river road on the Parker Strip is to reopen north of Sundance Saloon after a unanimous decision by the La Paz County Board of Supervisors Monday.

The scenic stretch of road has been closed since 2014 when heavy rains led to a rockslide of several large boulders which landed on the narrow two-lane roadway, blocking it and prompting safety concerns by then District 2 Supervisor King Clapperton. After an engineering evaluation and liability concerns from the Arizona Counties Insurance Pool (ACIP), gates were erected on the north end at Buckskin State Park and the south end near Sundance Saloon, closing it permanently to traffic of all kinds.

Current District 2 Supervisor Duce Minor prompted the reopening of the road on Monday?s agenda after receiving ?numerous, numerous? requests for it. He told the meeting that there was a recent informal evaluation by Public Works Director Tom Simmons and some engineers. Although the County does not have the money for a formal report at this time, he said that ?weather is the issue?, with rockslides likelier during heavy rains. So he proposed opening the roadway permanently, with closures during wet conditions for safety.

Supervisor Holly Irwin agreed with the the suggested reopening, saying that the road is a beautiful drive and that it was closed based on 2014 information, with Simmons having done ?quite a bit of work? since on the roadway.

Chris Chambers of Buckskin Fire Department said there will always occasionally be rockslides, and that the river road is similar to Pacific Coast Highway in that regard. He added that Buckskin can?t get its engines through with the current closure and ?highly recommend? reopening the road for safety. Another comment concurred with this, adding that some people drive slowly on Highway 95 ?looking around? and it would be better if they had the option to take the scenic route along the river.

Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Director Mary Hamilton also voiced her support for reopening the road, saying it is a scenic area and good for tourism.

Supervisor DL Wilson reiterated the 2014 concerns, saying that he wasn?t sure who would be responsible for defining how heavy the forecasted rain would need to be to close the road, and who would be responsible for closing and opening the road. Minor suggested it would be Public Works, as the department already does for Tyson Wash near Quartzsite and other areas. Simmons came to the podium to say that the Board?s recent decision means that overtime must be pre-authorized, and that may impact their ability to attend to such things.

Chambers came back to say that Buckskin would help close and reopen the gates, and Lieutenant Richard Epps of the Sheriff?s Department said they would agree to do so too.

Ultimately the Board approved the reopening on a permanent basis, with periodic closures during times of bad weather. There may be future drainage projects at the location when funding permits.

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 9

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is awesome, always loved that stretch of road. That's gotta be a pretty big deal for Sundance as well

redone76

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's more awesome...the road being opened or some of those names. King Clapperton and Duce Minor...hahahaha

parker ed

Reaction score
That is awesome, always loved that stretch of road. That's gotta be a pretty big deal for Sundance as well

That's what I was thinking. Plus a shorter short bus ride in the evening. :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's more awesome...the road being opened or some of those names. King Clapperton and Duce Minor...hahahaha

Both good guys.. King used to be a cop in Parker when I was a kid.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
[emoji106] That'll keep the bar hopping drunk drivers off the 95...[emoji12] [emoji41]

cofooter

Reaction score
Some of those rock faces that overhang the road have vertical cracks the whole length. Looks like the process to break away is well underway. I'm no geologist but it looks sketchy to me.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Some of those rock faces that overhang the road have vertical cracks the whole length. Looks like the process to break away is well underway. I'm no geologist but it looks sketchy to me.

That is no joke. There's one of them that looks like it can squash a full size truck like a big and I have noticed the crask on both sides from top to bottom. I had always assumed that rick was the reason they shit the road down and wondered why they wouldn't just knock it over with heavy machinery..

grumpy88

Reaction score
They should talk to the guys up River, they seam to know how to take down a mountain !

parker ed

Reaction score
[emoji106] That'll keep the bar hopping drunk drivers off the 95...[emoji12] [emoji41]

That's why I said earlier it's a shorter ride in Sundance's free shuttle "short bus" we use it often.

rvrrun

Reaction score
It's going to make a nice short walk from Bugskin to Sundance again.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Well that sucks, kind of nice not ever seeing a car drive by.