WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parts bin degreaser?

Wbinder

Reaction score
What’s the best degreaser for parts bin washers? Nothing seems to work as good as gas but something doesn’t feel right about letting a giant parts washer full of gas lay around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjbuilder1

Reaction score
What’s the best degreaser for parts bin washers? Nothing seems to work as good as gas but something doesn’t feel right about letting a giant parts washer full of gas lay around.

Old school truck trans and diff rebuilder. We used #2 kerosene with a qt of ATF mixed in. Not as hard on your hands but gloves still recommended. Just close the lid.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I had to do a whole lot of work on an MGB a while back and ended up using a 5 gallon bucket of gasoline to pre-soak the parts, then threw them in a dishwasher I picked up for $30 on craigslist...stuff came out spotless.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If you’re in Ca , nothing is available , in Az you can get good solvent

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score

I can buy lacquer thinner and kerosene at HD by the gallon. What more do you need? What is the definition of "good solvent"?

I have my Dad's solvent tank with a pump and parts shelf. Lid seals to keep the kerosene stank inside. It's been empty for a few years, don't need it as much now that certain projects are past that point. Now I just use thinner and kerosene by the gallon in small stainless trays then put it in a paint can when done and drop off at local used paint/chemical drop off.

TrollerDave

Reaction score

We use to have Safety-Kleen come out about 10 years ago to our shop and change out the tanks. The stuff was not bad. After some scrubbing, most stuff was pretty clean. This was “environmentally friendly” stuff back then. I’m not sure how much it’s changed since then.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We use to have Safety-Kleen come out about 10 years ago to our shop and change out the tanks. The stuff was not bad. After some scrubbing, most stuff was pretty clean. This was “environmentally friendly” stuff back then. I’m not sure how much it’s changed since then.
Still the same as we have 2 tanks at the shop. Nothing close to the old Berryman carburetor cleaner from back on the day...that shit would almost melt the skin off your hands. 😮

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I had safety Kleen and got convinced to buy a non-chemical Renegade parts washer. It ended up working really well, the machine I have is heated with adjustable temp. Lift the wash lid and it gas a soaking tray in the resivore. You can buy the detergent separately.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Still the same as we have 2 tanks at the shop. Nothing close to the old Berryman carburetor cleaner from back on the day...that shit would almost melt the skin off your hands. 😮
Nothing is as good as it used to be.

Clank123

Reaction score
Exactly.
I don’t really have to do really greasy/baked on nasty stuff, so for years I’ve used Mineral Spirits in my parts washer.
Since it’s been basically outlawed in California, I pick it up in one gallon containers at Ace Hardware in Parker.
A few gallons and a gallon and a half of water and I’m good to go.
Technically illegal I guess to bring back to Cali, but I really like the way it works for my needs.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Ran diesel in mine
Just sold it
20200502_125447.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Some Guys use 4 U biodegradable cleaner...I untentionally removed some of the paint from my Lance Camper.,.with it...No Odor...
1590046923856.png

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Graymills Super Agitene 141 parts cleaner with lanolin sold by Grainger and Amazon around $130.00/5 gallons. Had it in mine for over 10 years, great stuff, easy on the skin great grease cutter,

Graymills Super Agitene™ 141 general-purpose cleaning solvent has a high flash point of 141°F. It is designed to clean ferrous and nonferrous metals, elastomers, and rubbers in solvent-based and unheated applications.”

Note, if using on rubber or plastic, don’t soak it, just clean and rinse with water and dry. Rubber things will swell up and soften but also return to like normal after evaporative drying. Somehow rubber will absorb the stuff if wet for too long, even just 10 minutes could make it do that.

Last edited:

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells a 5 gallon pal of something that is supposed to work well. I have never tried it. Just saw it in my local store once.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Safety Kleen, , put the heater on a timer, its hot when we get in , the heat makes a huge difference , no fuss or muss environmentally friendly very pleased with the quarterly service