WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Passenger tires on trailer?

ChrisV

Reaction score
Just bought some 16x8 American Racing wheels. Would like to get somewhat a low profile tire on it. Any recommendations? Would this be fine on a 1500lb boat?

Tandem axle.
Would like a 225/55/16 tire.

Some pics of the wheel and trailer.
IMG-1906.jpg
IMG-1908.jpg
IMG-5593.jpg

Riverryder

Reaction score
I have no issues with mine. You’ll be good to go.
i have wondered how the high dollar boats have rubber band tires.
have seen a couple people here post this question and get roasted by members on how its so unsafe to run car tires on a boat trailer yada yada. so i scratched the idea as mine goes from vegas to the river every trip 240 miles round trip didnt want to risk it.

fast99

Reaction score
I used to work at a tire store. From what I understand the casing construction and tread compound are different. Reason is, some trailers have limited or no suspension. The casing becomes part of the suspension allowing for a little "travel" or cushion.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
i have wondered how the high dollar boats have rubber band tires.
have seen a couple people here post this question and get roasted by members on how its so unsafe to run car tires on a boat trailer yada yada. so i scratched the idea as mine goes from vegas to the river every trip 240 miles round trip didnt want to risk it.
To be honest, all trailer tires are crap, they wear for crap, they ride like crap, and are made like crap. I would rather put a good quality LT tire on and call it good. To be honest though in my circumstance I get away with a lowpro tire is because total mileage round trip from storage to launch ramp is 10-12 miles.
By the way.....not a high dollar boat ^^^^^but thanks

Riverryder

Reaction score
@BUDMAN come on man you have a hallet the holy grail of boats! you have seen the numbers they are fetching.

i know trailer tires are crap. but the argument about side wall ply?

@fast99 make sense when towing and watchin the trailer you can see the tires do more dampening then the trailer it feels sometimes.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I think passenger tires are better quality than trailer tires. If your boat and trailer weight less than a car and your tandem axle, I'd say your good even for long distance.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I think passenger tires are better quality than trailer tires. If your boat and trailer weight less than a car and your tandem axle, I'd say your good even for long distance.
Perfect thank you 🙏

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score

Attachments

• Vfvl1geyQomG2OQVGt1q+w.jpg
    Vfvl1geyQomG2OQVGt1q+w.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 81

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Agreed. It at comes down to the weight rating of the tires. I only run passenger tires and I’ve towed all over the country, 75mph and never once had a blowout or any type of issue. Tires hardly even got warm even in the summer.

Oh and mine was on a triple axle which everyone says destroys tires 😏

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Ive done it several times on small boats cause I always liked the look of a white lettered tire on an old school boat. No trailer tires come with white letters and its pretty hard to get solid raised white letter tires at all anymore, I use Cooper Cobras or BFG Radial TA, they are the only ones making the school solid white letters still from what I have found.
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 5.09.30 PM.png