WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Passing cops on the highway..

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Yesterday I took a day off and went out to Palm Springs to play golf. Miserable weather until we hit town then it was 65 and sunny.

Anyway I'm in the carpool lanes going along at 80. This guy in an econo car with Idaho plates comes up behind me, so I pull over and he blows past. A mile ahead he has slowed down and is now running 78 mph. Next to....a Coronado Police pickup truck.....towing....a trailer!

The police department vehicle was going 78 mph. Towing. In the carpool lane.

Idaho guy won't pass the police vehicle. We are not in Coronado. Well out of their jurisdiction. So for 5 miles I'm jammed up behind dumbass Idaho and dumbass Coronado. I alternate between frustration and giggles. Finally the lane opens up and I am able to move over to the regular lanes and pass them both.

I gave them both such a smirk and an eyeroll. LOL

Coronado and Idaho.jpg

Joker

Reaction score
I pass city cops all the time on the freeway. Had some lapd cop on a bike point at his speedometer while were obviously speeding and i just shrugged my shoulders. No way was he gonna pull us over and be late for roll call.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a day off and went out to Palm Springs to play golf. Miserable weather until we hit town then it was 65 and sunny.

Anyway I'm in the carpool lanes going along at 80. This guy in an econo car with Idaho plates comes up behind me, so I pull over and he blows past. A mile ahead he has slowed down and is now running 78 mph. Next to....a Coronado Police pickup truck.....towing....a trailer!

The police department vehicle was going 78 mph. Towing. In the carpool lane.

Idaho guy won't pass the police vehicle. We are not in Coronado. Well out of their jurisdiction. So for 5 miles I'm jammed up behind dumbass Idaho and dumbass Coronado. I alternate between frustration and giggles. Finally the lane opens up and I am able to move over to the regular lanes and pass them both.

I gave them both such a smirk and an eyeroll. LOL

View attachment 986098

So how the fuck does the cop truck get a pass to tow in the HOV lanes ? Vehicle code states any vehicle subject to 55 mph speed limit can not use an HOV lane regardless of the number of passengers. Oh that's right, he special. :rolleyes:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
So how the fuck does the cop truck get a pass to tow in the HOV lanes ? Vehicle code states any vehicle subject to 55 mph speed limit can not use an HOV lane regardless of the number of passengers. Oh that's right, he special. :rolleyes:
Rules are for thee but not for me

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I passed a Carlsbad city cop on the 5 in Oceanside a month or two ago and I was doing close to 100 and weaving in and out of traffic. He lit me up and pulled me over. Gave me the lecture of going too fast and couple kill me. I said “are you going to give me a ticket?” He said “nope” “have a nice day”

Lucky? I think he is was out of his jurisdiction on that one. Could he have called chp sure...

NicPaus

Reaction score
I passed a cop many years ago on the 110. Figured he would not mess with me. Passed him using the fast lane towing my Ultra at 70. He pulled up next to me looked at me I was early 20s driving my Dually and he lit me up and pulled me over in the hood. Got a stern warning about towing in the fast lane and the 55mph speed limit. Of course I was low on fuel and had to hit the station before getting back on the freeway. Sketchy with all the hoodlums eyeballing me but no issues.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
My last ride out to Havasu i passed a Highway patrol right before getting into Needles. he was doing he speed limit and had a lot of cars backed up behind him. so i only went by him a few MPH faster,
We had a nice conversation after that about how he was trying to keep the speeds down and passing him didn't help. but he did like my bike and i didnt get a ticket

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I was coming home from San Bernardino this morning heading west on the 210 just East of the 15 when an idiot with Colorado plates on his Telluride towing a little dinky trailer with barbecuer wheels on it passes me doing 80 mph in the carpool lane. Just before the 15 a CHP is sitting on the carpool lane shoulder and this idiot blasts right past him and the CHP never goes after him. WTF? That guy should run to Vegas with luck like that.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I think any cop can pull you over anywhere. Making it stick out of jurisdiction may be something else. But I don't know shit. 😜

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Kinda the same as H20 toie, going south up the cajon pass. CHP doing 55mph in the center lane with all lanes backed up behind him for a mile. I finally got to the front amd set my cruise to 56mph and slowly passed him, he looked at me and me at him as I was passing. Sure as shit, once passed he lit me up, turned out to be a rookie on a training ride. I told him that my cruise was set for 55. After a long discussion they sent me on my way. Probably still faster then sitting behind him all the way over the hill.

77charger

Reaction score
Resident LEO’s please correct me if I’m wrong...

IIRC while not exactly encouraged, city cops can write citations anywhere in the state, including highways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
True I passed an Irvine cop on a freeway in Anaheim he pulled me over wrote me for 65 in a 55 this was early 90s.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
You have to be really F'ing up to get pulled over by a city or county cop on the highway.

I pass them all the time. I will pass a CHP if they are driving exactly the speed limit, or below. I will only pass them going 5 over though. LOL. I do have an "For Official Use Only" looking work car.

20190405_150859.jpg
20210326_175732.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

IIRC while not exactly encouraged, city cops can write citations anywhere in the state, including highways.

I was in my mustang on the on-ramp and a cop was in front of me. At the light he takes off, so I decide to keep up with him. Sure enough he pulls me over. He’s a redondo beach cop on the 405 freeway in Long Beach. Was I going to just keep driving with a cop behind me with lights and sirens on?

anyways got a warning after I told him that I was just following him and general traffic. I said that he must’ve been following the law that he swore to uphold.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I passed a blm officer on the 95 on a two lane . I couldnt stand going 55 on the california side behind the rigs . He pulled out behind us and passed the line of trucks and cars too . It was a long drive from vidal to vegas . He was on his way to boulder where we parted ways .

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I have the same line that Dave uses for boat pricing (no one pays MSRP)

No one drives the speed limit. It’s a fucked up thing to do to people, but I’ve seen it done.

Tank

Reaction score
I don’t pass cops on the freeway. They can and will pull you over. No matter what road or jurisdiction. Believe it.

It’s not worth it to me, to save what? 5-10 minutes to not slow down to 65 for a few miles and chance getting stopped for what 5-10 minutes and maybe a ticket. I’m good. I’ll work smarter not harder.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Wife and I were on our way back to Oregon after spending a good portion of the winter in Blythe at Mayflower. Up on the 5 after Shasta and all that stuff one breaks out of the trees onto a flat tundra type deal. I was cruising along pulling the 40 ' 5th at about 63-65mph and out of nowhere is a chippy in the fast lane coming up behind, I was in the slow. I didn't take it out of cruise thinking he's not going to do anything. He comes up along side and I looked over and he did the same and then his right hand came up with 5 fingers extended and he flashed it twice. I couldn't believe it, all the years I lived in Calif. I heard they were such dicks but he was damn nice not to hit the lights on me after I didn't back off a little when he was behind.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I drive fast enough to keep ahead of the cruisers looking for speeders.

I am intelligent enough to drop to listed limits when any LEO is near me.

Common sense and respect, use it when necessary.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Yes they can and do pull over
Iv had lapd pull me over on freeway in diamond bar. Shouldn’t flick a lit cigarette out the window onto the chest of a bike cop, dumb ass ex wife. Lol
Iv had Covina pd pull me over in Glendora for exiting carpool 20ft to early and ticket stuck
Iv had Fullerton pd on the fucking freeway with radar gun southbound just before Yoruba Linda Blvd, pull me over and ticket. He didn’t show up to court.
I drive 50k miles or so a year going job to job. I don’t exactly follow road rules. And I have no shame going right by highway patrol doing the watch how many dumb asses will sit behind me. Iv had them get on speaker and say slow down. But never been pulled over for it.

Tank

Reaction score
Last edited:

havasujeeper

Reaction score
As a retired city motor cop, I would stop folks all the time on the freeway, obviously depending how egregious the violation was. Attitude was everything, but if enough buttons were pushed, I would cite them into the county seat courthouse. And yes, I would go to court that day.

Backlash

Reaction score
Can and will. Motors dont really give a shit about briefing. And if their excuse is "I was busy writing a ticket," their supervisor most likely isn't going to complain. 😎 Sometimes you'll sneak by without problem. Other times, not so much. Take the risk if you must, but I'd suggest you just slow down and drive safely. 👍

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
As a retired city motor cop, I would stop folks all the time on the freeway, obviously depending how egregious the violation was. Attitude was everything, but if enough buttons were pushed, I would cite them into the county seat courthouse. And yes, I would go to court that day.
Yeah but, it’s entertaining watching someone trying to Maddog a cop out of a ticket. 😂

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don’t get tickets for speeding in the morning. They light me up, l go to get over, they speed off. Pisses me off more than anything

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Still going, this is funny. AS A COP, I know better than to pass a bike cop who is at least doing the speed limit. They are on those bikes specifically for traffic enforcement and are generally very good at what they do. If it's not a CHP cruiser, you can usually pass them within reason, but if you are a jackass that thinks when the speed limit is 65 you can drive 80 without the risk of a ticket, well then the old saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" comes into play.

On that note, I've passed up the take home car thing on more than one occasion because everyone slows down and it makes my drive way too long... I'd rather blend in with the rest of you law breakers and get home 10 minutes early.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Still going, this is funny. AS A COP, I know better than to pass a bike cop who is at least doing the speed limit. They are on those bikes specifically for traffic enforcement and are generally very good at what they do. If it's not a CHP cruiser, you can usually pass them within reason, but if you are a jackass that thinks when the speed limit is 65 you can drive 80 without the risk of a ticket, well then the old saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" comes into play.

On that note, I've passed up the take home car thing on more than one occasion because everyone slows down and it makes my drive way too long... I'd rather blend in with the rest of you law breakers and get home 10 minutes early.
Who drives a take-home car at the speed limit? 😂

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
A few months ago I was driving down I-5 in Northern California, and there was 4 police K-9 SUVs from different agencies in a caravan in the #1 lane doing about 85.

They came up on some, slow, oblivious, fast lane driver, doing 5 under the speed limit in an old minivan. The lead SUV kept flashing his high beams at the minivan to get over. Asian dude was either oblivious, or ignoring (I think he was wearing a mask while driving alone. LOL).

After about 10 miles of this, the cops finally got over and went around the numbnuts.

Sent From Tapatalk

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
LAPD and LASD motors on the 5 into LA were the worst. One was splitting lanes with us common folk doing 70, shakes his finger at us as he passes. I saw him ride into the mta building as I pulled into piper. But I got to say, everytime I got the yellow coupon, it wasn't a reward for good behavior. Most were respectful and cool 😎

gqchris

Reaction score
My explorer is white and black. Sometimes I forget and wonder why everyone is driving so damn slow! Lol

C0B14478-017D-4ECB-85FC-EDE0CBB9237E.JPG

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

Yes

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Any cop can write you anywhere if they want. Don’t ask me how I know 😂. When I lived in hesperia on the Mesa a fontana motor cop would always nail someone on his way in usually around Glen Helen parkway. Tons of shifty drivers in the pass!

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I passed a Carlsbad city cop on the 5 in Oceanside a month or two ago and I was doing close to 100 and weaving in and out of traffic. He lit me up and pulled me over. Gave me the lecture of going too fast and couple kill me. I said “are you going to give me a ticket?” He said “nope” “have a nice day”

Lucky? I think he is was out of his jurisdiction on that one. Could he have called chp sure...
Yes lucky. California peace officers have powers anywhere in the state. He could have written you a ticket so he was either cool or lazy!!! Either way who cares? No coupon is a good day.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I passed border patrol near las pulgas rd on the 5 Northbound today going 105. Radar detector went off I lifted to 90 saw it’s was BP and back to 105 we went

Mike K

Reaction score
Not me ... I never ever ever pass a cop ...kinda learned that when we were all 16 ... worst feeling ever to roll up fast on a cop and then have to humbly try to back it down and then hoping for the best ... it would be my luck that they would radio ahead or something ...

Dettom

Reaction score
He’s not special, but maybe a knucklehead.. someone should remind him of that.

Taboma

Reaction score
He’s not special, but maybe a knucklehead.. someone should remind him of that.

I'm inclined to believe he either feels he gets a " I'm special " pass to tow there
Or
He's simply ignorant of the traffic laws.
I think in either case, it's going to influence others to do the same.

Maybe he's not a cop, maybe a mechanic or vehicle driver for the city ?

What's the best means of reminding him, sending a picture to his superiors ? Or Pulling up alongside and making some "WTF" kind of body language display ?