WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pebble Finish or Plaster for Pool ?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Sooooo, the wife and I bought a new to us house and are looking to get the pool re-done. Have a couple good people referred to us we will decide to use, just torn between plaster and pebble (mini). Pebble looks great but I heard from people it can be pretty rough on the kids feet and adults but lasts along time. Plaster is smooth not as fancy and only last 7-10 years at most.

Looking for feedback! Pebble or plaster?

I am also meeting with a guy tomorrow morning that does this spray fiberglass stuff. Says they offer a 15 year warranty with it. Seems to look like plaster but just last longer and is around the Pebble price.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
no dog in the fight as i dont have a pool, but have friends with both plaster and pebble tech. i like the look of the pebble better, and i think its easier on the feet, but my feet are pretty tore up any way. my friends with plaster do have some "staining" one spot from a algae bloom that got out of control and another from his kid dropping something in that rusted on the step. i also think the pebble helps the pool look cleaner.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I never got the pebble look? I think it was kind of like Kale. Everyone told everyone it was good so they went with it. I think it gets the builder out of a lot of grief. I fiberglass’s a coulpe pools back in the day and really liked it. But I’m old school and nothing looks more inviting than a crisp clear white pool.

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
Pebble…we just went through this. If nothing else, I think pebble looks better and it lasts way longer than plaster…good luck finding a contractor. If you are in Ventura County or the SCV/SFV, I’m happy to send you my contractors contact, as he always answered the phone and showed up when he said he would.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I have had pebble tech for 17 years and it is still holding up had plaster at my dads house and as it wears it gets like a sandpaper. I like the water color with pebble and when playing water sports in the pool it can be tough as it will tear you up. Ask MYV his opinion since he does allot of pools, I prefer investing my money in something that will last and look better so my vote is pebble. By the way some of the newer stuff is supposed to be better softer than what I have butto each their own.

johnner58

Reaction score
Starting our pool remodel this week and will be going with a mini pebbletech, bahama jewel color, have pebbletech in Havi pool going on 18 years still looks and feels great.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We did the mini pebble just for looks alone . Quality of work really matters . Our people did a really shitty job on the acid wash and also at night with the white pool lite on we see trowel marks and even one boot print .

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Pebble…we just went through this. If nothing else, I think pebble looks better and it lasts way longer than plaster…good luck finding a contractor. If you are in Ventura County or the SCV/SFV, I’m happy to send you my contractors contact, as he always answered the phone and showed up when he said he would.

Guy that came today said he could probably have it done by Christmas. Thanks for the feedback.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
T
I have had pebble tech for 17 years and it is still holding up had plaster at my dads house and as it wears it gets like a sandpaper. I like the water color with pebble and when playing water sports in the pool it can be tough as it will tear you up. Ask MYV his opinion since he does allot of pools, I prefer investing my money in something that will last and look better so my vote is pebble. By the way some of the newer stuff is supposed to be better softer than what I have butto each their own.

I hear its about the installer also. I wouldn't mind to pay a little more and get something that will last along time. But I would hate for the kids to not want to go into the pool because it messes up there feet.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
We did pebble tech on the advice of our pool guy. Our pool was on its original plaster at 34 years, he had been taking care of it for the prior 20 years. He told us we would be lucky to get 10 years on a new plaster job. We are at the 13 year mark and the pebble tech looks as good as when it went in.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I personally don't even know why they plaster pools anymore. The pebble tech lasts twice as long, the mini pebble finsih is almost as smooth as plaster, Not an issue with hands, or feet or bikinis. You can get lots of color options with mini pebble these days. The cost to redo a plaster pool twice in the time you do a pebble tech pool once is more than enough to justify the upfront price.

I just had my pool done in January and switched to pebble towards the end of build once I learned the true differences.

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
Plain Plaster or Pebble Tec it’s all about the finish, this has everything to do with the crew you hire. During this current marketplace a lot of applicators have come out of the woodwork due to the amount of work that’s out there. I use a plaster company that only has only 1 crew of 10 and the owner will be on the job site during application, that being said pick the finish that gives you the look you want and hire a reputable company and pay the higher price for that experience, your plaster finish will show it, Ray.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
We did pebble tech on the advice of our pool guy. Our pool was on its original plaster at 34 years, he had been taking care of it for the prior 20 years. He told us we would be lucky to get 10 years on a new plaster job. We are at the 13 year mark and the pebble tech looks as good as when it went in.

Was it rough on the feet for the kids or you?

Mikes56

Reaction score
I’ve got Pebble Sheen on mine. It’s been 10 years and it still looks new. The installer said the Sheen is smoother than the regular stuff.

2Driver

Reaction score
I’ve got Pebble Sheen on mine. It’s been 10 years and it still looks new. The installer said the Sheen is smoother than the regular stuff.

Yeah that's what we got after a years of plaster pools. I have to say it looks nice, but they have some darker plasters now with some flecks in it that looks really nice. We got 15 years out of our plaster.

I will say one false move with the pebble finish and you have a flap of skin hanging off your toe. It also harbors dirt easier. If you plan on playing in the pool I wouldn’t get any pebble product.

Ol Man

Reaction score
So, what is the process? What is the cost difference between the two?

TCHB

Reaction score
I have had both and would go with pebble finish. It will las twice as long and looks great. No more plaster for me!

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
T

I hear its about the installer also. I wouldn't mind to pay a little more and get something that will last along time. But I would hate for the kids to not want to go into the pool because it messes up there feet.
I have had allot of people in our pool and only complaint was playing basketball or volleyball and someone grinds into the Baja shelf but never a foot issue. As for the installers I suppose that may make a difference.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
As I side note I had two plaster pools one was my parents but their plaster is like sandpaper and does make my feet raw the other was prior to the current one and had stained from bird droppings and also had a rebar rust stain so these are a few reasons I went to pebble and wouldn’t go back.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My opinion peddle is pretty compared to regular plaster. However it’s 3-4 times harder to keep clean specially if you have crap water, or water with a high iron content.

traquer

Reaction score
Where's Mellow Yellow?

I have plaster currently and it's ugly, needs a re-do. Pebble looks a lot better, but I don't like the dark colored pebbles, stick with the light ones. Modern square pools look good with dark pebble but old ones especially kidney shaped will look like a swamp if you go with dark.

Also, if you want to buck the trend, then tile the whole thing with mosaic tile. That's how 95% of pools are in Asia and Europe, looks bitchin but not as much grip

joecfd1

Reaction score
Mini pebble for the win! We redid or Havasu pool last November and couldn’t be happier.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Just drained my pool, plaster with quartz. It's been13 years since I built it. It has a couple of stains, Was going to acid wash it,
but I think I will replaster it with pebble fina.

Looking for company that is reliable, so any if anyone has any referrals, drop their name. I'm in San Dimas.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Pretty rare we do plaster anymore
Like 1 in 100 pools rare. Then it’s either no funds or an old school person that just wants blue tile and white plaster with brick coping.
Raw materials for pool plaster are no where near what plaster of 25 years or older pools have. So when people think ehhhh my pool lasted 30 years on original plaster let’s do same and it will last their lifetime left. Very wrong, Iv seen plaster jobs 6 months old that look ready to be chipped out.
( note good part of that blame falls on who is maintaining the pool )

My vote mini pebble (or pebble sheen , pebble tech version ) Any day every day. It holds up great, is rough but not as much as regular pebble.
Micro pebble, pebblefina, quartz, hydrazzo, etc.... are all smoother then mini pebble. How ever there is more cement surface exposed, making it more likely to stain, discolor, blotchy etc... defeats the purpose for long term beauty.

As far as fiberglass coating over anything cement based, trash. It looks and feels great when new. But it will eventually delaminate and it will eventually break down and you will get fiberglass in feet, ass etc. Note there are added costs to remove fiberglass coating from pool beyond normal chip or hydro blasting. So it not just a oh no big deal

All tile, highest cost option of any finish In the US.
It is done in other countries because they don’t have access to finishers with skill or materials to plaster or pebble pools. That and many tiles are manufactured in those countries for pennies. I used to sell to a large supplier in China that offered for many years to fly crews out first class to do work and train locals. no thanks

edit : if you like the look of white plaster, you can do white pebble. Water will be same color but have the benefits of pebble

Last edited:

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
Dropping a name….

Attachments

• 9056E208-6EA3-4F02-8FCD-43F01DB63DCC.png
    9056E208-6EA3-4F02-8FCD-43F01DB63DCC.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 127

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Like 1 in 100 pools rare. Then it’s either no funds or an old school person that just wants blue tile and white plaster with brick coping.
Raw materials for pool plaster are no where near what plaster of 25 years or older pools have. So when people think ehhhh my pool lasted 30 years on original plaster let’s do same and it will last their lifetime left. Very wrong, Iv seen plaster jobs 6 months old that look ready to be chipped out.

My vote mini pebble (or pebble sheen , pebble tech version ) Any day every day. It holds up great, is rough but not as much as regular pebble.
Micro pebble, pebblefina, quartz, hydrazzo, etc.... are all smoother then mini pebble. How ever there is more cement surface exposed, making it more likely to stain, discolor, blotchy etc... defeats the purpose for long term beauty.

As far as fiberglass coating over anything cement based, trash. It looks and feels great when new. But it will eventually delaminate and it will eventually break down and you will get fiberglass in feet, ass etc. Note there are added costs to remove fiberglass coating from pool beyond normal chip or hydro blasting. So it not just a oh no big deal

It is done in other countries because they don’t have access to finishers with skill or materials to plaster or pebble pools. That and many tiles are manufactured in those countries for pennies. I used to sell to a large supplier in China that offered for many years to fly crews out first class to do work and train locals. no thanks

edit : if you like the look of white plaster, you can do white pebble. Water will be same color but have the benefits of pebble
Thanks for the break down. I’m was a second gen OG pool man, my dads license number started with 00000—. I couldn’t figure why the problem with plaster as I had pools built in the 60s that still looked good in the 80s. White pebble? Hmm.. like I said nothing ( to me) looks better than a proper white pool. Looks like a pool full of diamonds.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I think we will end up going with the mini pebble, the guy said he uses NPT stone scapes mini pebble. Looks nice with some cool colors. Our pool is square with oval shapes at the ends. We are still up in the air about the color, we would like the water to be a nice blue, but some of the darker pebbles make it look darker blue. Not sure which would look better. See picture below.
Pool.jpg

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We just did ours in pebble sheen about 6 months ago after 21 years of plaster. A couple companies said basically they wouldn't do plaster because of the life span nowadays.
Cali and its you can't use these chemicals anymore attitude destroyed the life of plaster. (so we were told)
I can give you the name of our company we used, believe they are based in Pacoima. No complaints so far.

28Eliminator

Reaction score

^^^ This 110%^^^

We did one plaster pool last year, out of about 40. It looked like shit. Pebble sheen is the way to go.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think we will end up going with the mini pebble, the guy said he uses NPT stone scapes mini pebble. Looks nice with some cool colors. Our pool is square with oval shapes at the ends. We are still up in the air about the color, we would like the water to be a nice blue, but some of the darker pebbles make it look darker blue. Not sure which would look better. See picture below. View attachment 1071191
We went with the mini pebble and are happy with the finished product. Went with the white with some crushed abalone mixed in. The white has some black, blue and tan pebbles with the white base and results in an aqua colored water. We had looked at some of the darker pebble but decided to go the lighter route with the more modern design pool.
2C367BA9-36BF-4446-9429-DC4CB83B0E3C.jpeg

DanG

Reaction score
Not sure if they are still doing it, but another option we did 20 years ago was 3M. It's just 3M flakes they add to the plaster. It was supposed to make it last longer and we were able to get the color water we wanted. In opinion it looks similar to the mini pebble pictures posted. I will say that after 20 years of having the pool, the one thing I still loved is the plaster and the cool aqua color.

1638412386854.png

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Not sure if they are still doing it, but another option we did 20 years ago was 3M. It's just 3M flakes they add to the plaster. It was supposed to make it last longer and we were able to get the color water we wanted. In opinion it looks similar to the mini pebble pictures posted. I will say that after 20 years of having the pool, the one thing I still loved is the plaster and the cool aqua color.

View attachment 1071248
3m is long out of the game. How ever its just quartz finish that many companies supply. The draw back is aggregate size. Yes improves finish lifespan over plaster. It does not hide stains in any way though

Reactions: DLC

EarpRider

Reaction score
Soooo wish I had gone with white pebble, but that being said I've seen a few pools in Havasu where the pebble on the Baja Shelf is a little spotty.

DLC

Reaction score
3m is long out of the game. How ever its just quartz finish that many companies supply. The draw back is aggregate size. Yes improves finish lifespan over plaster. It does not hide stains in any way though
Hi MYV - Question for ya
My pool was replastered in 2006, used 3m quartz, I have a rust stain from a cools light glass bottle cap

1-
can I drain pool and acid wash it to get rid of stain
or
2-
drain pool use a diamond grinder to grind the spot and then acid wash

whats the best way to remove a rust stain?

thank you !

dlc

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Hi MYV - Question for ya
My pool was replastered in 2006, used 3m quartz, I have a rust stain from a cools light glass bottle cap

1-
can I drain pool and acid wash it to get rid of stain
or
2-
drain pool use a diamond grinder to grind the spot and then acid wash

whats the best way to remove a rust stain?

thank you !

dlc
jack hammer and start over. Lol

pool store you can pick up stain treat bags you put on top of spot in pool and leave. It dissolves and will remove surface stains
or you can use a sandy andy ( that’s what it’s called) basically a sanding pad that attaches to a pole and sand from surface
or you can try a stain eraser attaches to a pole, basically rubber and pumice compound
or you can try a pumice stone that attaches to pole.
or you can chip it out and replace w mini pebble that you’d never see the stain in the first place. lol
no need to drain for a bottle cap stain, you have easier options

AzMandella

Reaction score

wzuber

Reaction score
We went with the mini pebble and are happy with the finished product. Went with the white with some crushed abalone mixed in. The white has some black, blue and tan pebbles with the white base and results in an aqua colored water. We had looked at some of the darker pebble but decided to go the lighter route with the more modern design pool. View attachment 1071222
That looks sooooo clean, nice choice on design and all.

DLC

Reaction score
jack hammer and start over. Lol

pool store you can pick up stain treat bags you put on top of spot in pool and leave. It dissolves and will remove surface stains
or you can use a sandy andy ( that’s what it’s called) basically a sanding pad that attaches to a pole and sand from surface
or you can try a stain eraser attaches to a pole, basically rubber and pumice compound
or you can try a pumice stone that attaches to pole.
or you can chip it out and replace w mini pebble that you’d never see the stain in the first place. lol
no need to drain for a bottle cap stain, you have easier options

Thank you ! I’ll give some of the easy ones a try before the jack hammer!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My dad had the big pebble years ago it would destroy our feet. I hear the course stuff is much better. We are gonna be having this same debate next year. I wish I could just tile the whole thing but that is serious money...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Definitely going with pebble sheen.
Is there any new type/style of Jacuzzi jets, instead of those cheap eyeball type?

petie6464

Reaction score
Fiberglass is the way to go. . But my "Pool builder" told me to go with pebble. .🙄

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
@Melloyellovector, I'm currently getting my pool resurfaced in the next two weeks, demo day is tomorrow. I'm doing Stonescapes mini pebbles.. I have a great, local plaster guy that's going to be doing the work. I told him I really like the look of glass tile for the waterline and spa.. He told me that he can absolutely do that no problem, and knows how to install it. But also said that glass tile isn't as durable and doesn't hold up well when compared to a typical Porcelain pool tile. I've seen some great glass tile from companies like "Artistry in Mosaic's" that I really like. And haven't seen a lot of porcelain tile I like. I'm in Ventura county, doesn't get crazy hot or crazy cold here. What's your opinion on glass pool tile? thanks

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
@Melloyellovector, I'm currently getting my pool resurfaced in the next two weeks, demo day is tomorrow. I'm doing Stonescapes mini pebbles.. I have a great, local plaster guy that's going to be doing the work. I told him I really like the look of glass tile for the waterline and spa.. He told me that he can absolutely do that no problem, and knows how to install it. But also said that glass tile isn't as durable and doesn't hold up well when compared to a typical Porcelain pool tile. I've seen some great glass tile from companies like "Artistry in Mosaic's" that I really like. And haven't seen a lot of porcelain tile I like. I'm in Ventura county, doesn't get crazy hot or crazy cold here. What's your opinion on glass pool tile? thanks
I did glass and it does get dirty and the calcium is more noticeable. I new this going in. Looking for a good cleaner for it. I too didn’t find any porcelain tile I liked.

1C1E7A8E-6093-44AE-BE79-AE3B3585D5E5.jpeg