WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Penta SX is leaking oil from the prop. Help me out here.

McGruff38

Reaction score
I have a 200 Chaparral 216 SSI with a 5.0 Volvo Penta SX outdrive. Getting everything ready for havasu tonight, I was checking to make sure everything was working as it should, and I lowered the trim. While it was down, oil started leaking out of the middle of the prop.It appears to have stopped after a few minutes, and leaked about 6-8 oz. I would guess. Now looking at it, the is a little that leaked out from behind the prop and ran down the to the bottom of the rudder. Im still new to boats, so Im still getting familiar with this stuff. 2 things I noticed. 1) the prop slides back and forth maybe about 1/4 of an inch, is this normal? If not. I noticed that nut on the back of the prop is right up against the cotter pin (but the nut feels tight, not loose). How bad of shape am I in here? We are planning to leave for Havasu Thursday morning. Is my weekend done before it got started, or is this something I can take care of before then? I took some pics, So I will get them loaded up and posted in a minute.

McGruff38

Reaction score
Here are the pics. The 2 side views show the prop slide forward and back as far as it will go.

Attachments

• Prop1.jpg
    Prop1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 337
  • Prop2.jpg
    Prop2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Prop3.jpg
    Prop3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Prop4.jpg
    Prop4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 325

McGruff38

Reaction score
Well, quick update. I kept looking at the nut on the end of the prop and thinking "that just doesnt look right". I googled around and decided to pull the prop off and see if I found anything. What I did find was that the nut was backed off all the way up to the cotter pin. I originally thought it looked like it was backed off, but it was solid and since this was the first prop I really took a good look at, I didnt really have anything to compare it too. So, long story short, pulled the prop, everything looked ok. There was a little oil behind the prop, but I figured it was left over from earlier. Greased up the shaft and put it back together. Tightened the nut down to 50 ft/lbs and it made a big difference. The 1/4 inch play in the prop was gone, and the I could easily get the new cotter pin in. Could the prop being loose like that cause an oil leak? I lowered the trim, put it in drive, and got the prop spinning. after I shut it down I let it sit and so far, no oil leak. I checked the oil level and it is just about an 1/8th of an inch from the top. so it looks like that might have been the first time it leaked. Did I get lucky enough to catch this early? Will running it with the prop loose like that cause any long term damage? Does it sound safe to run this weekend? Any other advice?

77charger

Reaction score
not sure about the volvos and how the prop play affects the seal. IMO i would see if it leaks while sitting and check the level of the drive after using your boat.

I have an alpha and noticed it leaking while sitting.Took the prop off and saw some fishing line wrapped around the shaft by the seal.Looked up causes of propshaft seal failure and fishing line was a common destroyer of the seal.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The play in the prop is different from play in the shaft. You need to reseal the lower. There is no reservoir in that drive so if the level drops far enough you'll starve the upper gear set of oil. Also if it's leaking it could be replacing that oil with water. Volvos have crappy bellows. Turn the drive to left and see if the bellows is torn by the clamp that holds it on. If it's torn it's taking on water and it will pit the input shaft allowing it to ingest water. Thus pushing oil out of the bottom. It will also ruin your gimbal bearing and that's an expensive failure if it destroys your transom assy.

McGruff38

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread.

Life got in the way, and July 4th ended up being my last trip of last season. Im barely getting back to my boat. So, I know my outdrive needs to be addressed. Last trip, I had tightened the prop and replaced the cotter pin. it didnt leak in the driveway, but after I got home, it was leaking again. This time the prop was still tight. So im thinking the prop being loose might have ruined the seal(s) behind it. So, Im anticipating having to reseal it. Is this a DIY job? or should I just take it somewhere? What Should I expect to pay to have it done by a shop? Will I have to drop the outdrive in order to do it, or can it be done on the boat?

HST4ME

Reaction score
Take it to someone and have it done, hopefully not to the place that lost the castle retainer and put in a steel cotter pin.

McGruff38

Reaction score
Take it to someone and have it done, hopefully not to the place that lost the castle retainer and put in a steel cotter pin.

Thanks. Any idea what I should expect to pay for that?