WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

People come up to me all the time and ask...

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
"Tom, what should I look for when shopping for a pepper mill?"

I do my best to council those who ask but I can only do so much. People aren't very bright.

They typically want to go to a high end kitchen center and pick up a nice brushed stainless steel mill, perhaps made in Germany, with high quality machine work, a big pepper corn hopper, and a mill that grinds perfectly flaked pepper. Fortunately, they came to me prior to going to the kitchen center.

The mill you want is the old wooden piece of shit that's sitting on top of your stove right now. You know, the chipped wooden body one with the mill retainer that's held in place by tiny nails; the one that doesn't grind quite right. It only grinds for about 30 degrees of each rotation and free-wheels the rest. The one you have to shake to see if there are any pepper corns in it because it doesn't seem to be grinding.

If you must buy new, get the lowest grade garbage you can find. It needs to be made in china using no tools other than a rock and a stick.

What you're looking for are uneven flakes. You want a nice peppery taste but with the occasional chunk of pepper corn that jams your molars open like a stray tailing of dimensional lumber that finds it's way under a sheet of plywood, not allowing it to rest flat.

When you get those little blocks jammed in your back teeth, and this is what you so desperately want, there is a moment of hesitation when you think... WTF???..... and then you realize what it is and bite down. That bite will reward you with a zesty flavor explosion the likes of which has not been experienced since the Hubba Bubba guy shaved his head.

Mmmmmm :)

Director...
Reaction score
The adventures of....Peppercorn Brown....:beer

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Brown, you must be board! Go back over to "cops & umployment" and give Wicky a tounge lashing!!!:p

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Just when I thought this thread could become something interesting!!:lmao

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
One year for Christmas I bought everyone pepper mills. The choices were unlimited for sure, so I just opened them all and tried them one by one. It took a while and made a hell of a mess but I was able to find the perfect grind consistency. I Tend to prefer a some what chunky grind.:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well since you brought it up Tom... Some random Pepper facts for you.

Did you know that pepper back in the day was worth more then gold? It's not uncommon when diving on the old pirate ship wrecks to see sailor still clutching something in their bones.. It's a container usually containing by now petrified peppercorns.

In school we here in America always learned that Columbus set sail looking for "spices" from the east. The primary spice he was looking for was peppercorns!

So thanks to the wonderful world of Pepper, America and Canada were settled by our european ancestors. In other words none of us would be here if it wasn't for pepper. So throw a little extra on there next time and realize how good we have it. A couple hundred years ago somebody would've killed you without thinking twice for as much pepper as can be found on any table.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Didn't like my pepper history report Brown? :swear

Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time with you canatard.. :D

RD

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I enjoy a good Christopher Columbus story as much as the next guy. I just didn't have a lot to say about it.

It's not like I just talk because I like talking.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I enjoy a good Christopher Columbus story as much as the next guy. I just didn't have a lot to say about it.

It's not like I just talk because I like talking.

Hence the pepper mill thread... LOL

RD

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad to see ironic sarcasm isn't lost on you, Dave. :D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I liked the history lesson. You kind of snuck that one in on me and I accidently learned something.

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
doodie.com kicks ass, nice job on the avatar Brown... :D :D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I particularly enjoy the curly cue swirl topping. :D

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
Well since you brought it up Tom... Some random Pepper facts for you.

Did you know that pepper back in the day was worth more then gold? It's not uncommon when diving on the old pirate ship wrecks to see sailor still clutching something in their bones.. It's a container usually containing by now petrified peppercorns.

In school we here in America always learned that Columbus set sail looking for "spices" from the east. The primary spice he was looking for was peppercorns!

So thanks to the wonderful world of Pepper, America and Canada were settled by our european ancestors. In other words none of us would be here if it wasn't for pepper. So throw a little extra on there next time and realize how good we have it. A couple hundred years ago somebody would've killed you without thinking twice for as much pepper as can be found on any table.

RD

so in the way back machine you could have bought salt with some pepper?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Indeed you could have... Or accidentally found a whole new world. ;)

RD

rrrr

Reaction score
Perfessor Dave gets out the history books!!!! :D

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Brown and RD :p

104294_1.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I used to watch the history channel about 8 hours a day. I got more random useless facts of knowledge rattling around in my head then I know what to do with. :D

RD

Infomaniac

Extended Member
Reaction score
Apparently Christopher Columbus was a marketing genius. He brought the pepper corn along and mined the sea salt in route.

Then both his pepper and salt grinders had product.

Wow who would have thunk it.