WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

People Of The Same Age Look Younger Today Than They Did Back Then

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I came across a trivia article about the TV show All In The Family - did you know that Carrol O'Conner who played Archie Bunker was only 44 years old when the show premiered in 1968 and was 55 when it ended its run in 1979? That guy has always looked old and crusty. Jean Stapleton who played Edith Bunker was only 42 when the show started and was 53 when it ended.

Our favorite oatmeal slinger Wilford Brimley was only 51 when he starred in Cocoon in 1985, he was 6 years younger than Tom Cruise is now.

I'm in my 50's now and don't think I look as old as my parents did when they were in their 50's. Growing up, people in their 50's looked and acted old. I don't ride dirt bikes anymore, but I still enjoy waterskiing and getting the boat up on a plane and hauling ass on the river. I still enjoy going to concerts and going out and seeing my friends' (who are also in their 50's), bands play, but as I look at the people in the audience I see a bunch of old folks. In my 20's I'd see people in their 40's at the shows and now 30 years later these same people are in their 70's, some look good like Raquel Welch, others look like a worn out Gregg Allman.

Maybe it's in the genes, maybe it's just some people refuse to allow age to make them act old, but as I said earlier people are looking old at an older age and that's a good thing.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I came across a trivia article about the TV show All In The Family - did you know that Carrol O'Conner who played Archie Bunker was only 44 years old when the show premiered in 1968 and was 55 when it ended its run in 1979? That guy has always looked old and crusty. Jean Stapleton who played Edith Bunker was only 42 when the show started and was 53 when it ended.

Our favorite oatmeal slinger Wilford Brimley was only 51 when he starred in Cocoon in 1985, he was 6 years younger than Tom Cruise is now.

I'm in my 50's now and don't think I look as old as my parents did when they were in their 50's. Growing up, people in their 50's looked and acted old. I don't ride dirt bikes anymore, but I still enjoy waterskiing and getting the boat up on a plane and hauling ass on the river. I still enjoy going to concerts and going out and seeing my friends' (who are also in their 50's), bands play, but as I look at the people in the audience I see a bunch of old folks. In my 20's I'd see people in their 40's at the shows and now 30 years later these same people are in their 70's, some look good like Raquel Welch, others look like a worn out Gregg Allman.

Maybe it's in the genes, maybe it's just some people refuse to allow age to make them act old, but as I said earlier people are looking old at an older age and that's a good thing.
So true. Wife and I have commented about neighbors near our age that look and act as if they should be at "care" facilities. We are in our mid 50s+.
Just yesterday we were chatting with a couple younger girls in their latter 30s, early 40s(we were at a hotsprings spa)who were totally blown away when we revealed our ages. Neither would have guessed .
We do have the mindset of not acting our age.
I'm sure healthier lifestyles vs the generation before has made a difference. As does the fact that the "retirement age" back then was 55.......and the image of retirement was men in onsie overalls and women in flowery mumu dresses.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I think you’re as old as you act, so I’m 12.😂

But seriously, my wife and I just had this conversation last night. What triggered it was a girl I went to high school with became a grandma this week. I can’t even imagine that at my age, but I think a lot of people embrace it and run with it....like fuck it, I’m a grandparent now I should have gray hair, walk with a limp etc. I personally will fight aging as much as I can.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

But seriously, my wife and I just had this conversation last night. What triggered it was a girl I went to high school with became a grandma this week. I can’t even imagine that at my age, but I think a lot of people embrace it and run with it....like fuck it, I’m a grandparent now I should have gray hair, walk with a limp etc. I personally will fight aging as much as I can.
If that's the criteria then I'm well over the hill, my oldest grandkid is 14.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Life is not quite the challenge as was before WWll. Advances in medicine, technology, education and HVAC I believe all are contributing factors in the late '40's and '50's.
The free enterprise system and better opportunities relating to the flow of currency has improved our well being.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Preservatives

This.. It's the preservatives in the food. I read an article one time saying that bodies aren't decomposing in the coffins at the same rate they used too.

As hell there is a ton of hormones in food now.. I used to be into surfing quite a bit when I was younger, and reading the mags etc.. I still remembering an article that was written about girls developing boobs at younger and younger ages, and they were attributing it to the growth hormones put in food etc..

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This.. It's the preservatives in the food. I read an article one time saying that bodies aren't decomposing in the coffins at the same rate they used too.

As hell there is a ton of hormones in food now.. I used to be into surfing quite a bit when I was younger, and reading the mags etc.. I still remembering an article that was written about girls developing boobs at younger and younger ages, and they were attributing it to the growth hormones put in food etc..

It is all the Lucas Oil Additives people use these days.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I used to think the same thing til I saw myself in a pic and said... "who the hell is that gray hair guy with the hunched shoulders
e
what-hump.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Last Friday night went to the Elks Lodge in Burbank looking for some friends who said they would be there ...well I walked into a room with at least 100 people eating dinner... it look like a room full of people in their 90s ...never did see my friends...
...I am 74 and my prankster neighbor who puts me up to this shit...she is 25 and finds it all quite amusing...I think we did look a little out of place???

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
This does wonders....

s-l640.jpg

LuauLounge

Reaction score
It's all a state of mind, I got introduced to Fireball shots by a friend's 84 year old mother. We were all at a bar on the river, rock band, 1:00 am.

530RL

Reaction score
Great point Chili.

Johnny Cash had barely turned 70 when he filmed this video.

Dalton

Reaction score

I know people that are seemingly racing towards this, as fast as they can, and no money either. One is in her late 30's, about to become a grand mother.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Why is this so shocking to you?
You’re 50 years old. Do some math there;)

termiteguy

Reaction score
I am 53 and look way older than I am all grey hair and beard . I have worked outside all my adult life and smoke. However I still don't act my age and neither do my friends some older and some younger. Life is short live like it

Your ad here

Reaction score
I was looking at one of Bostons early albums and thought they were in there 40's. I guess not one was past 30.

Your ad here

Reaction score
It could also be the clothing style. I've always remembered both my grandpa's wearing dress pants, a tucked in button up shirt, and basic glasses. I've never seen them wear jeans or a t shirt. Always dressed like this since a young age. My parents are in their 60's. Shorts, jeans, flip flops, t shirts, stylish eyewear. They look the same to me now as I remember them in their 30s.
Drugs, alcohol, smoking, and poor diet age people. I mistake someone that was 32 as being around 45. Didn't realize how hard they partied.

Justfishing

Reaction score

I think thats do to embalming

jet496

Reaction score
I left the gym today feeling like I'm in my 30's and the guy at Einstein Bagel automatically gave me the senior citizen discount. Bastard! I'm 59 by the way.

Reactions: C-2

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Compare Edith Bunker (45) to Jennifer Lopez (50)

Wtf???

Dan'l

If you pumped Jean Stapleton full of the same steroids and hormones that they give J Lo and put her in a gym 7 days week... The comparison would be closer.